The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoCanes72

Replace Stormy as the mascot?

Caption anyone?

stormy.jpg

"Get back here, listen, we're going with the new mascot, a ham hock, and you're the only pig we have."

The Ice Hogs? If Stormy was the compromise that prevented that catasthophe, then he is my new hero. Ice Hogs? Really? No. Really? I seriously don't think I could bring myself to watch a team called the Ice Hogs. Really? No. Ice Hogs.

Man- had a horrible vision there before I finished reading the post and thought you were talkling about the Stor :) m Squad.

As a matter of fact Stormy was at the Mudcats game this past Friday. He was "Hogging" the slapshot booth and competing with Muddy the Mudcat (note another food source based Mascot) with on field antics.

:)Keep the Hog :angry: Or else

I've never really understood Stormy as a mascot, I understand the origin but it's still kinda weak. It's hard to find a mascot for a team named the Hurricanes. I'm pretty sure the Miami Hurricanes have a mascot thats a duck

The Miami Hurricanes mascott is an Ibis, which is a native bird in south Florida.

... Stormy is the one thing the Canes got right from the beginning in NC. (Well stormy had a facelift a few years ago)

I don't know about that, the original stormy got carbon monoxide poisoning on the first home game, so its kinda hard to say they got it right from the begining. Maybe the second game...

Man- had a horrible vision there before I finished reading the post and thought you were talkling about the Stor :) m Squad.

that is next, once the pig goes then they will want to get rid of the storm squad!!

Stormy Stays. Only an adult would try to change out a mascot because "they don't get it"

And the story many posts back is correct. Wendell Murphy who owned Murphy Farms, one of the top 5 pork producers in the country and a NCSU grad had given $10M to NC state for their new arena and would get naming rights. When the Hurricanes came in and NCSU decided that the planned $50M arena would not even come close to the Dean Dome, the sides started to talk. Gale Force pushed hard for naming rights since that would be a source of income and you would have to bet the Centennial Authority wanted to sell the naming rights. I would say even NCSU wanted the naming rights sold as I think they make more money over time off of RBC than the $10M.

So they said they would make the mascot a pig, and my guess, NCSU said they would name the new football center, the Wendell Murphy Center (big building at the end zone in Carter-Finley, and NCSU kept the $10M. Good for the university, good for Centennial Authority, good for the Canes and Wendell got his name on a building. Lastly, good for kids as they got Stormy.

Again, only an adult would look to change the mascot. Stormy is the one thing the Canes got right from the beginning in NC. (Well stormy had a facelift a few years ago)

he got a facelift because he was a bit scary to kids (i would have to agree). so they made him a little more cartoonish and easy for kids to like.

I've ignored this topic about as long as I can (especially since we have nothing else to talk about).

Why would you want to replace Stormy and with what? He makes as much sense as a gorilla in a Suns uniform, or the Philly Fanatic, or really about any mascot you want to bring up. The kids love him, so get off him, and get back to something usefull, like bashing Kabs,Wallin, or Graham (oh, I forgot, he's gone).

Sarcasm alert: I'm not a Kabs or Wallin basher, but they have been the source of most of the topics lately.

he got a facelift because he was a bit scary to kids (i would have to agree). so they made him a little more cartoonish and easy for kids to like.

anybody have any older pics of the pig?

it certainly is. i never noticed when they changed him over, when did that happen?

'02 season i think. they did a survey and found kids terrified of the old stormy.

Maybe Piggly Wigglys slogan "I'm Stickin with the Pig" Can be applied to this situation. :D

Wonder if the Canes have sought Piggly-wiggly as a corporate sponser? Probably doesn't have encough area oresence and do not want to tick-off HT

I don't understand all this talk about someone "dressing up" as Stormy, or that his real name is George. He is an Ice Hog - the only one in existence.

The next thing you'll tell me is that the Easter Bunny and Mickey Mouse are people dressed up in costumes!