The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canefan248

What Would It Take

As many of you probably know, Jay Bouwmeester signed a 1 year extension with the Panthers despite hopes that he would sign for more years. So if you think ahead and figure that the Panthers are one of the worst teams in the league let alone the east, it likely means that this will be Bouw's last year with Florida.

I realize that the Canes have tried to rebuild the defense and have likely done a decent job. But I believe that adding Bouw to the Canes would be a real statement and a strong step back towards the SC. Who else out there thinks the same and what would it take to get Bouw here in Raleigh?

They probably want top level prospects. Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman and are all we have that I would consider top level prospects. I doubt they would trade him to the Hurricanes. They would also want Gleason or Pitkanen...which is not happening.

As many of you probably know, Jay Bouwmeester signed a 1 year extension with the Panthers despite hopes that he would sign for more years. So if you think ahead and figure that the Panthers are one of the worst teams in the league let alone the east, it likely means that this will be Bouw's last year with Florida.

I realize that the Canes have tried to rebuild the defense and have likely done a decent job. But I believe that adding Bouw to the Canes would be a real statement and a strong step back towards the SC. Who else out there thinks the same and what would it take to get Bouw here in Raleigh?

Will he be a UFA or RFA in the next offseason?

Trade won't happen, they'd ask too much.. wait until next summer and then pay him.. only problem will be the competition from the rets of the league.. maybe a trade deadline deal for picks..

UFA. Why trade for part of the year. I know theres a chance that he gets traded somewhere and signs an extension elsewhere, but still.... wait for next offseason and try to sign him.

The chances Florida would trade him within the Southeast are pretty low. But they are going to be looking for picks and/or prospects back PLUS NHL roster players.

Yep, that is about what it will take. Bouwmeester will be UFA:1 year lockout + 6 years of service ending in June 2009 = 7 years of service.

He'd be looking for Brian Campbell like money... which as we all know JR never goes after the big name players. He finds good players that everyone else overlooks and signs them for cheap. Pretty much no chance of Bouwmeester playing for the Canes as long as JR is GM IMO.

it would take a few steps and a lot of maybe's

1 trade kaberle to lose the already over self cap salary

2. hope wallin leaves for sweden

3. trade foward(or what JR gets from trading a forward), boychuk, D spec, and a 1st rounder for Bouw

4. then add letowski for depth.

subtract >5.5 mil

add 5.6mil

so it would have to be a higher end forward (like whitney) to dump enough salary. Dont know florida would want whitney though, might someone like ruutu

Samsonov-Staal-Williams

Cullen-Brindy-Walker

Ruutu-Sutter-Eaves

Larose-Bayda-Brookbank

reserve: letowski

Bouwmeester-Gleason

Corvo-Pitkanen

Babs-Seids

reserve: melichar

although the team would be good and the buzz would be higher than any other hurricanes team during preseason, there are too many moving pieces to get that to work.

it would take a few steps and a lot of maybe's

1 trade kaberle to lose the already over self cap salary

2. hope wallin leaves for sweden

3. trade foward(or what JR gets from trading a forward), boychuk, D spec, and a 1st rounder for Bouw

4. then add letowski for depth.

subtract >5.5 mil

add 5.6mil

so it would have to be a higher end forward (like whitney) to dump enough salary. Dont know florida would want whitney though, might someone like ruutu

Samsonov-Staal-Williams

Cullen-Brindy-Walker

Ruutu-Sutter-Eaves

Larose-Bayda-Brookbank

reserve: letowski

Bouwmeester-Gleason

Corvo-Pitkanen

Babs-Seids

reserve: melichar

although the team would be good and the buzz would be higher than any other hurricanes team during preseason, there are too many moving pieces to get that to work.

I agree there are a lot of pieces to this plan, but I like the look of the lines and the defensive pairings. It may not be as far fetched as we might think. The Kab/Wallin part of it could already be in place because we know JR wants to dump salary to get back to Karmanos' cap. And, assuming that you could negotiate with Bouw for a longer term contract what else does Florida really need that we might have.

Having given up Jokenin, they need some scoring power. Would the Canes be willing to give up a Whitney,Williams or Cullen as well as some devloping minor league talent? Interesting possibilites but would Florida see it that way. They are in need of some real help!

He'd be looking for Brian Campbell like money... which as we all know JR never goes after the big name players. He finds good players that everyone else overlooks and signs them for cheap. Pretty much no chance of Bouwmeester playing for the Canes as long as JR is GM IMO.

The smartest and best post in this thread and I agree wholhearedly.

Besides I would rather keep the $$ and sign Staal to a long term deal.

Well, the only thing I could imagine in this matter would be a trade dealine deal, in order we make it to the playoffs and JR is like gettin a big fast boost for this...just like Hossa was acquired by pitty. But...even that seems pretty unlikely to happen.

Bouwmeester would eat up a big piece of JRs salary cake, but what for? JR found his boy in Pitkanen, and that's what happened.

But i agree, would be awesome to have him here, no doubt about it^^

Probably would take something like this:

Gleason, Williams, and a 2nd rounder

Top 4 defenseman are so high in demand, and Jay is a number one defenseman, or at least growing into one. So yea, I don't really care to go after him and risk losing a top forward. We had the assets on offense to deal one of our top 6 forwards, we dealt Cole for Pitkanen, we'll live with that. If canes are really interested in Bouwmeester, go after him when he is a UFA.

Probably would take something like this:

Gleason, Williams, and a 2nd rounder

Top 4 defenseman are so high in demand, and Jay is a number one defenseman, or at least growing into one. So yea, I don't really care to go after him and risk losing a top forward. We had the assets on offense to deal one of our top 6 forwards, we dealt Cole for Pitkanen, we'll live with that. If canes are really interested in Bouwmeester, go after him when he is a UFA.

Right, agree. We got the Pit Cannon, he's our man...we don't need no Bouwmeester^^

What the Canes still need in my opinion, is one more solid second pairing defenseman. I am envisioning a guy who is statistically in the middle of the pack and considered average, but solid positionally and proven at the NHL level.

I don't think that we will get this person however. JR sounds like he is largely done on D, other than maybe a salary dump. The hope is that between Babchuk, Wallin, Seidenberg, and Malichar, and perhaps Kaberle, one of them will step into that #4 role. If so, we will be in pretty good shape. If not it will be Corvo, Pitkanen, Gleason, then the committee. I am really hoping that Melichar and Babchuk step up. If they do, JR will look like the genius that he is.

Certainly Bouwmeester is way above that level. That's not to say that adding him wouldn't instantly vault us to the top, because it would. It just won't happen for all of the reasons posted above.

We are talking about Florida here. It would take a bag of pucks and a happy meal for Jaques' Grandkids.

Lol, they did give up Luongo for next to nothing... But really JR is not the type to sign a big name player or trade for one. With our self-imposed salary cap don't expect to get a big-time player any time soon. I'm of the opinion that a team full of solid NHL players is better than a team of 2-3 superstars playing with a bunch of bums. It's clear that JR signs and trades with that in mind. And two finals appearances and a cup indicates that its probably a pretty good strategy.

The Canes' will never go after a player of this caliber ($). Getting a solid team is first and foremost but why not sign Boumeester after this season? He can only help, a lot.

If you keep signing players that are "considered average", that is the type of play you get.