The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ice-warrior-ch1

A screwy stat from nhl.com

Just a guess, without looking at the numbers...

Are the % of team face-offs based on the total # of face-offs in games in which they played?

So, since Brindy was out many games, those don't count against him.

Like I said...just a guess.

Just a guess, without looking at the numbers...

Are the % of team face-offs based on the total # of face-offs in games in which they played?

So, since Brindy was out many games, those don't count against him.

Like I said...just a guess.

I would also guess that's what it is.. if you add up all the %Tm totals, it is quite a bit more than 100%, so it's not a strict percent of team for the year.. So with Brindy out 22 games, it would make sense Staal (and others) took a higher percentage than they normally would, pushing the overall %Tm over 100%.

the teams total faceoff percentage for each player is wrong, im not sure which one, but thats why the numbers are weird. if you take both number of faceoffs taken by brindy and Staal, and multiply them by the team percentage, its a different number, there must be some other calculation they did inorder to get the numbers that they did.

while bored at work i went to nhl.com to start reading stats. i'm a numbers kind of guy and love knowing things like who lost more powerplay faceoffs last year. (oddly enough it was eric staal with 186)

there was something that did not add up to me and i was hoping to get a little clairity on it.

eric staal took a total of 1708 faceoffs last year. winning 44.9% of them and taking a total of 34% of the teams total faceoffs. Rod brind'amour took 1460 winning 58.3% and taking 40.1% of the teams total faceoffs.

now how can rod take 248 few faceoffs then eric but yeild a higher % of total team faceoffs? mathematically it just not work out. so am i missing something here?

If he took 248 fewer faceoffs he has a lot left to lose.

So, Rod took less and won more percentage than Staal

while Staal took more than Rod he didn't win as many in his % # than Rod.

If that made any sense at all.

I believe the stat is actually percentage of faceoffs the player takes in a game. So when Roddy plays--he takes 40% of the teams FOs--when Staal plays--he took 34% of the FOs. It is not total for the year but for the games they played. Now, Staal's number is inflated because of Roddy's injury--but he will still get a good number of FOs based on his position. If you look at total number of Faceoffs--I believe Roddy still ranked in the top 20, maybe even top 10 of FOs taken for the year--that is just an astounding number.

This is just speculation but it is also possible the stat for team precentage, is really team percentage of won face offs. Back tracking from the numbers in the first post Staal won 767 faceoffs and Brind'Amour won 851 faceoffs. If the stat is just tracking team faceoff wins this could also explain the disparity, since Brind'Amour won more even though he played at took less.