The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Will the new NFL deal on 99.9 preempt Cane's games?

99.9 FM The Fan announced that they will be carrying NFL games this fall. Specifically, "The Fan will carry live NFL games on Thursdays and Mondays and a double-header on Sunday. The Fan will also carry the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl." No mention in their press release of how this impacts Hurricanes games that will conflict with NFL games, though one suspects the NFL games will win out. Anybody heard anything on this? :huh:

I'm with you, I think that NFL games win out although I do ask, does anyone out there listen to the NFL on radio on a week night (not playoffs)? I would hope that the station will have a choice if the NFL game is a stinker, then possibly they can chose to broadcast a Canes game. I wonder if this means that they will they no longer be the "flagship" station for the Canes?

I'm with you, I think that NFL games win out although I do ask, does anyone out there listen to the NFL on radio on a week night (not playoffs)? I would hope that the station will have a choice if the NFL game is a stinker, then possibly they can chose to broadcast a Canes game. I wonder if this means that they will they no longer be the "flagship" station for the Canes?

man i loved how much time they spent covering the canes and now i bet all it's gonna be is football football football.. <_<

It runs in my muddled mind that almost all the Sunday's in November are home games for the Canes. All have early or late afternoon starts that provide a direct conflict.

Can't believe Canes management would be too happy with this if it does means games get preempted. I thought one of the whole reasons the Canes went to 99.9 was so they could get on a sports station where they would be the No. 1 priority.

Since the deal includes double-headers on Sundays AND games on Thursday nights, it seems as if the Canes need to search for a new broadcast partner. Just did a quick check of the Canes schedule vs the NFL's schedule. About 12 games have conflicts

I didn't see any mention of the hockey. Since the other is national feed, I expect the local Canes broadcast to pre-empt the football. Which is fine by me, despite me being a big football fan.

Unfortunately, I think that football will take priority, even if the game is broadcast on TV, even if it's not the Panthers or Redskins or any other team considered "regional". The good thing is I'm gonna be at all those Sunday afternoon games, however, I like listening to the postgame show on my way back home..

I would think that local always beats out national. I do think there is an issue with Sunday games and how many the Canes have. Will be interesting for comments. Maybe the Canes are scrambling right now to find out themselves. If it does cause Canes games not to be heard, my days listening to 99.9 Fan for anything other than Chuck doing the games is over. No need to listen to 99.9 if that is the case. And I am the middle age, educated, male who makes money decsions at work with large disposible income these stations target.

Sent Luke an email, figured he could get the scoop. According to him, Canes take priority:

The Hurricanes have precedence. This happened a few times last year,

where the Fan even sent out a press release announcing they were

carrying NFL games that conflicted with Canes games. But they carried

the Canes nonetheless.

--Luke

Let's just hope he's right. I did enjoy listening to the post game shows on my way home from the games.

As the 99.9FM-The Fan's Program Director I want to assure all of you great Canes fans that our coverage of the team ,as the flagship station, will not be affected by our new deal to carry the NFL.

We have more new features to add to our coverage this year that I'm that you will enjoy, including a 2 hour season kickoff preview show on Oct.9th. I appreciate all the feedback you gave me and my staff during our first year carrying the team's broadcast. I've been very impressed with the dedication and passion that all of you bring to this team. Your comments are welcome to me at dshore@999thefan.com

Thanks again,

Dave Shore

Program Director

WCMC-99.9FM-The Fan

As the 99.9FM-The Fan's Program Director I want to assure all of you great Canes fans that our coverage of the team ,as the flagship station, will not be affected by our new deal to carry the NFL.

We have more new features to add to our coverage this year that I'm that you will enjoy, including a 2 hour season kickoff preview show on Oct.9th. I appreciate all the feedback you gave me and my staff during our first year carrying the team's broadcast. I've been very impressed with the dedication and passion that all of you bring to this team. Your comments are welcome to me at dshore@999thefan.com

Thanks again,

Dave Shore

Program Director

WCMC-99.9FM-The Fan

Dave, thanks for setting things straight! Great news! :D

And welcome to the Boards!

I'm impressed at the speed at which the program director came right to the boards and addressed the concern. That's pretty good business acumen. Props to him and the station for being so responsive. Perhaps they would like to take over our beloved US gub'mint which grinds slowly and in ever widening circles...?

Thanks to The Fan radio for keeping the Canes coverage up front! (and it's nice when we discuss something here and someone in charge can answer the questions and bring all the discussion to a halt - this sort of thing could have gone on indefinitely, and getting nowhere.)

Thanks again,

Dave Shore

Program Director

WCMC-99.9FM-The Fan

I am so glad your station will still continue the great coverage you give our Canes! I will continue to be a loyal listener. Thanks for replying so quickly. I look forward to the preview show.