The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
deity-of-hockey-26-128

Your take on the new Defense

I love it, we are a lot bigger and that was always our problem in my opinion, and im happy we kept brookbank and conboy to make sure no one can just toy with us and plan to knock us around without punishment.

I agree that Pitkanen hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but carolina seems to bring out the best in people, just look at corvo and samsonov they were basically given up on and they show up here and played great. I can't wait for this year. :D

I put my vote for the "Really couldn't tell ya. Time will tell." I think that we can't really tell right now, because there are question marks with all of our new defenseman. Do I think we'll have a good defense? I would say yes, but there are still too many question marks about the D to say that we'll have a really good defense.

i voted decent.

I voted this because:

Vet presence: I dont think Wallin is the guy that will lead the defense as the Vet. Dont know about kaberle either but he is going to be traded. Has Corvo been with the team long enough to be that guy?

Attitude: Will babs bring a good attitude from Russia? Will Pitkanen bring a good attitude?

Chemistry: As someone has already pointed out in the Ward thread, we'll see if they play good together.

Depth: Will Seids be re-signed? Will Melichar be worth a *edit*? Will Borer bring his good play of last season back this season? How will Babs and Pitkanen play for the team?

I voted this over time will tell because the overall talent level has risen with the additions of Babs and Pitkanen. And didnt vote bring on another cup because of all the question marks.

Depends. If JR and Lavi can pull off their "Island of Misfit Toys" magic(See Stillman, Samsonov), we can go deep into the playoffs. If not, practice your golf swing.

No way of knowing until they have some games together. Under the CBA can they even practice togther before the start of training camp?

My vote = Decent

We finally have a top pairing (Gleason/Pitkanen). And when I say top pairing I mean a pair that can long over 20 minutes. I can easily see these guys getting about 20-22 minutes a game.

We finally have puck moving defenseman (Pitkanen/Corvo).

I think our defense is more balanced this year than last year. We have a good mix of the offensive minded ones and the defensive ones.

The signing of Melichar I think was to be the vet on our back end. He's got experience and has leadership skills. He was Wesley's replacement in leadership IMHO.

And I do like how the back end is bigger than it was last year.

Voted decent but improved. Pitkanen, ok. Good, another man to QB the power point, solid potential, let's see what he can there in Carolina.

Melichar, don't know anything about. I was kinda hoping for Jason Smith just because I'm a fan of his, not great or anything, but just liked that guy. Or someone else other than Josef Melichar (ok, and Oleg and what not)

I voted time will tell for the simple fact, I don't care who's on the ice name/skill wise, if they don't mesh with the other players and the system it just won't work. If it did work, it wouldn't be very well.

I'm not sure what to say because I'm not sure the defensive aspects of the unit have gotten any better. But the signings and changes should help the team play more frequently in the offensive zone and get out of the defensive zone more quickly, which should only help.

I voted time will tell. The pieces are there, but how will they work together? Chemistry is the biggest issue when making a lot of changes. However, we had to do it. There are a lot of question marks, the biggest of which are Pitkanen's interest level and Melichar's health, but I remain optimistic.

I voted time will tell. The pieces are there, but how will they work together? Chemistry is the biggest issue when making a lot of changes. However, we had to do it. There are a lot of question marks, the biggest of which are Pitkanen's interest level and Melichar's health, but I remain optimistic.

Same for me. I like what's been done but until they're on the ice, there's just know way to know how they'll play. If they can stop more pucks and give Cam some support, certainly that in itself woud be an improvement.

I say "time will tell". The D definitely got younger and somewhat bigger, which basically addressed the complaints most often heard in the last couple of years. The problem I see is that by getting younger we also had to part with solid veteran leadership provided by Wesley and Hedican. I think it's time for Gleason to step up and become a true leader of the D unit. It will definitely be interesting to see how they start off the season.

Our defence is our main weekness i dont understand why most people think that our D is awesome. Also do we have David Tanabe on our team this season i didnt hear if they signed him again i would rather him not be on the team!

Our defence is our main weekness i dont understand why most people think that our D is awesome. Also do we have David Tanabe on our team this season i didnt hear if they signed him again i would rather him not be on the team!

You have some reading to do, lol. The Canes tried to buy him out but he's filed a grievance with the NHLPA since he's been on LTIR with concussion problems. No resolution yet that Im aware of, but what Im 100% sure of is that he wont be wearing the sightless eye this season.

What can I tell you, some people are always optimistic about stuff :) ... In all honesty, I don't think you can say that the current Canes defense is a strength or a weakness, that it is good or bad. They haven't even played 1 single game together as a unit. As far as Tanabe is concerened, I don't believe he will be on the team. He will either be bought out or on some type of long term IR.

I am an enternal Caniac optimist, so I think our defense will be slightly improved defensively and greatly improved offensively (puck moving, power play).

I think that Pitkanen is going to have a major impact, even more than Corvo did. Our top pairing is going to be very strong and get a lot of minutes.

To me the question is the bottom 3. Who shows up and fills out the roster? If Melichar, Babchuck, Seidenberg or even Wallin or Kaberle can step up and fill out the #4 spot, we can get by with below average 5-6 guys. Especially with the offense we are going to generate.

I am optimistic in bias, but also because we are basically looking for one guy out of the 5 listed to raise their level to a strong second pairing NHL defenseman. One of them will do it. The others will fight it out for the 5-6 spots.

If dmen 1-2 are outstanding, and 2-4 are very good, we will be ok, even if 5-6 are less than average. Plus, it is entirely possible that the other 2 that end up in those last two spots are at least average.

You have some reading to do, lol. The Canes tried to buy him out but he's filed a grievance with the NHLPA since he's been on LTIR with concussion problems. No resolution yet that Im aware of, but what Im 100% sure of is that he wont be wearing the sightless eye this season.

You're 100% right about that last part. He made the ultimate mistake in crossing JR. You don't do that and expect to play for this team ever again. Not like we haven't seen it before.

Honestly, I'm not sure why we haven't heard anything yet. It shouldn't take him this long to be proven to still be injured so either the buyout would've gone through or it would've been cancelled and then we can put him on LTIR and not have his salary count against the cap. Then when he's healthy either try to trade him or just leave him until the end of the year when he's a free agent and let someone else make the mistake of signing him.

You're 100% right about that last part. He made the ultimate mistake in crossing JR. You don't do that and expect to play for this team ever again. Not like we haven't seen it before.

Yep, crossing JR is the ultimate career destroyer. I mean, look at Babchuk. He crossed JR and he's never going to play for us again.....

:o

JR's got this weird thing about re-trying players that have already failed here. Tanabe won't be back, but not because of the grievance. He won't be back because signing a defenseman with concussion problems is never a smart idea. The defenseman has to either be really good, or the GM would have to be really desperate to try it. Tanabe isn't and JR isn't.