The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
timstr

Winter Classic in Carter-Finley

No way, it will never get cold enough on a set day to have the Winter Classic. I would love to go to one, but it won't be in NC.

Well I guess I was thinking it will at least be colder than it is in the RBC. I think it would a great fan experience....maybe make it military/educator day and give away 30,000 tickets to pack the place. Oh well, I can dream anyway.

Even though the last outside game was played in frigid Buffalo, ice making equipment was used to freeze the rink. Turns out the temps were warm enough prior to the game that they needed it. So it's possible to do it in Raleigh. But I wonder what kind of ice conditions would develop if the air temp went up to the70's, which can happen here in February. I'd love to see a winter classic with the crowd in tee shirts and bikinis and potted palm trees around the ice. THAT would certainly make a statement about Southern style hockey. :lol:

Remember the NHL's first outdoor game was not in Edmonton, rather it was in -- of all places -- Las Vegas! It was a preseason game between the Kings and the Rangers outside of Caesars Palace in 1991. Wayne Gretzy said, "We kept looking at each other and couldn't believe we were playing hockey in 80-degree weather. But it was real nice.

If we ever gotten to be in a winter classic game, we would be the visiting team. It's way to warm down here. Sure we have enough places to do it here in NC with all the football stadiums but it just wouldn't work out for us.

That would be an awesome idea, the novelty might very well get more people hooked on this great game but

My main consideration would be player injury due to inconsistant ice conditions.

They have an outdoor ice rink at Bond Park in Cary from Nov-New Years. It is only about half the size of an NHL Rink but they can keep ice with temps in the mid 80's. Here's one in Atlanta: http://www.centennialpark.com/events/ice.html

I think I have heard of outdoor rinks in San Juan, PR as well. During last years Caniac Carnival there was a synthetic surface near CF Stadium set up.

Here a link to a provider; http://www.portable-ice-rink.com/

Who needs ice? On the show Sports Science they have a polymer floor on their hockey rink which is nearly frictionless and the guys skate on it on normal skates... Is that expensive? Yeah probably.. would it last for 3 periods instead of a 5 minute hard hitting demo.. yeah.. probably not.. but hey.. its a thought...

We tend to get most or our snow around here late in the winter, Feb-March... so that wouldnt be a bad time.. of course at the same time it could be 75... so who knows... that would be the fun of it...

Remember the NHL's first outdoor game was not in Edmonton, rather it was in -- of all places -- Las Vegas! It was a preseason game between the Kings and the Rangers outside of Caesars Palace in 1991. Wayne Gretzy said, "We kept looking at each other and couldn't believe we were playing hockey in 80-degree weather. But it was real nice.

I think it's a good idea but it wont come true for awhile. The NHL is saving the Winter-Classic games for teams that have a long history and large fan-bases (not to mention cold climates). Maybe down the road if the NHL decides to have more than one Winter-Classic game a year... and they start to run out of teams... then YES!

Awesome Idea, To play to the large crowd it would probably have to be in Charlotte, South Carolina where the Panthers play. :lol:

But at Carter Finley for a regular season game.... Hummmm I would pay extra to be part of that...

Yeah, I'm sure NHL will let us have the Winter Classic at Carter Finley. Right after they award us the All Star Game! :lol:

I don't disagree about "the NHL awarding us a Winter Classic" but I did not mean it in those terms. I just mean the Canes having one of their home games next door in C-F....not necessarily a NHL national broadcast event. Like I said, give away 30.000 tickets to military and teachers and you have a fine PR event.

That would be an awesome idea, the novelty might very well get more people hooked on this great game but

My main consideration would be player injury due to inconsistant ice conditions.

They have an outdoor ice rink at Bond Park in Cary from Nov-New Years. It is only about half the size of an NHL Rink but they can keep ice with temps in the mid 80's. Here's one in Atlanta: http://www.centennialpark.com/events/ice.html[/post]

I think I have heard of outdoor rinks in San Juan, PR as well. During last years Caniac Carnival there was a synthetic surface near CF Stadium set up.

Here a link to a provider; http://www.portable-ice-rink.com/

I've skated on the one in Atlanta and there is no way the ice would hold up to a NHL game. It was soft and rutted, fine for a leisurely skate but nothing more.

I don't disagree about "the NHL awarding us a Winter Classic" but I did not mean it in those terms. I just mean the Canes having one of their home games next door in C-F....not necessarily a NHL national broadcast event. Like I said, give away 30.000 tickets to military and teachers and you have a fine PR event.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we can just decide to play a game or 3 in Carter Finley, Bobcats Arena, or anywhere else we choose, without getting some sort of OK from the league. The NHL seems to keep all the teams on a pretty tight leash, and the current league bigwigs don't strike me as a very adventurous or open to change. Otherwise, you would probably see more teams playing more often in venues other than their own arenas.

One technical problem could be the 'crowned' field in Carter-Finley. Use to be all football fields were crowned in the middle for drainage. With the installation of drainage systems and sand to allow water to filter through, many fields are now flat. Dail Field, where the Pack practices, has this type field I believe. There are vague plans for C-F to be leveled and prepared for the turfgrass surface mentioned above, but noting in the near future.

With some cooperation from the Canes, ie, money contributed to do some of the work, this could escalate the schedule. If NCState saw advantage for itself for the game, it would have a better chance of happening.

NC State has the technology to pull this off and if we need a poem written about it, we can give UNC a call. :lol: