The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

RBC Center Parking and survey

Well, the buses would still have to negotiate the maze. Or would the buses be allowed their own "dedicated lane". If so, that would screw with traffic even more.

I would have to disagree, i am one of those that uses that solution for the state fair and it works great.

They had no idea what the issues were,...

maybe because there arent any, I'm sure the reason Mike Alexander seemed frustrated was because he had a legit explanation of why they were controlling traffic the way they were, but for him to explain the reasons would have been like explaining to a child why they cant have a popsicle before dinner.

maybe because there arent any, I'm sure the reason Mike Alexander seemed frustrated was because he had a legit explanation of why they were controlling traffic the way they were, but for him to explain the reasons would have been like explaining to a child why they cant have a popsicle before dinner.

I think why most people are frustrated is b/c there were no problems before Mr. Mike Alexander planted his butt on top of the roof. I've been going to games since 2001, even during the 2006 playoffs, we didn't experience the problems we are now. The start of the 2006-07 season is when they started with Mike Alexander, no coincidence that this is when the problems started. I'm not saying he isn't doing his job, but its pretty clear that directing traffic in "real time" isn't working. Maybe Mike needs to make a traffic plan and have everyone stick to that plan for every game. Once people know the routes, they'll know what works for them, but changing the routes game after game is causing more trouble.

Is there a parking problem with every event at the RBC Center? Or, does the problem occur only during Canes' games? What criteria causes a shift in the parking strategy? From my experience is going to the games, it seems the "real-time" shift in the ways cars are being parked causes confusion on both the attendants and the motorists.

With all of the computer gurus out there, it seems that it would be possible to set up a queing theory program and then run several scenarios to come up with an optimal solution to the problem.

I think why most people are frustrated is b/c there were no problems before Mr. Mike Alexander planted his butt on top of the roof. I've been going to games since 2001, even during the 2006 playoffs, we didn't experience the problems we are now. The start of the 2006-07 season is when they started with Mike Alexander, no coincidence that this is when the problems started. I'm not saying he isn't doing his job, but its pretty clear that directing traffic in "real time" isn't working. Maybe Mike needs to make a traffic plan and have everyone stick to that plan for every game. Once people know the routes, they'll know what works for them, but changing the routes game after game is causing more trouble.

Can I get an AMEN!

How much will general parking at RBC be this season? Just curious.

Jan/GSBG

It's going up to $10 this year from $8 last year. The only other arena I've been to for games was in Atlanta and our parking is a HUGE bargain compared to parking prices there and I would imagine ours is a bargain compared to most other arenas around the league!

It's going up to $10 this year from $8 last year. The only other arena I've been to for games was in Atlanta and our parking is a HUGE bargain compared to parking prices there and I would imagine ours is a bargain compared to most other arenas around the league!

Went down to Tampa in Feb. for my nephew's dedication and went to a Bolts/Caps game. General parking was $25. Their arena is directly in the center of downtown Tampa. The game I went to was on a Saturday night so traffic wasn't that bad. A traffic for a game on a weekday night must be a zoo.

You can bet your bottom dollar that RBC is a bargain, collie. At Honda Center -- eight miles south of where I live -- it's been $15 for general-admission parking since the 2005-06 season. :mellow:

It gets worse at Staples Center: The two GA lots nearest the arena cost -- get this -- $20. :o (Because I made it to last season's Kings-Sens game two hours before game time, I found a parking spot in a tiny alley next to one of those $20 lots. I coughed up a paltry $15 to park my car in that less-than-elegant locale.)

You guys have a great bargain going on at RBC, fellow Caniacs. I realize the price is up two clams from last year, but I think you'd have a collective coronary shelling out the kind of GA parking bucks that SoCal hockey fans must. (NoCal hockey, by the way, means the San Jose Sharks.)

Jan/GSBG

Out of town parking prices have nothing to do with the Canes" parking prices. I have been to other places and the parking is higher but I still do not like the fee at the RBC. Nor do I feel I am getting a bargain.

Out of town parking prices have nothing to do with the Canes" parking prices. I have been to other places and the parking is higher but I still do not like the fee at the RBC. Nor do I feel I am getting a bargain.

Of course it does. Dont you think that they look at other NHL teams that are comprable to the Canes and the RBC center to make their pricing? I agree that comparing the Canes to any teram in LA is ludicrous but what about Nashville? Or Columbus?

Arent you a huge Caps fan? Youhave any idea what it cost to park in DC right outside ChinaTown? Can you even find parking?

That's understandable, icedave, but I truly doubt you'd like to cough up $15 or $20 for single-game parking. (Then again, it's worthwhile to keep the per-state-minimum-wage concept in mind: California's minimum is $8.)

IMHO, it's valuable to for fans to be aware of game-related costs around the league. The broader the perspective and the greater amount information we have, the better we'll all be informed as sports fans, coast to coast.

Jan/GSBG

Of course it does. Dont you think that they look at other NHL teams that are comprable to the Canes and the RBC center to make their pricing? I agree that comparing the Canes to any teram in LA is ludicrous but what about Nashville? Or Columbus?

Or Anaheim: a suburb with a population of 345,000 -- a burg that's smaller by 29,320 residents than Raleigh proper, 374,320 strong. Once again, parking at this oh-so-suburban entertainment venue will set you back only $15 ( :P ). Craving "premium parking?" You've got that, too, at Honda Center ... for only $20.

Ah, suburbia! <_<

Arent you a huge Caps fan? Youhave any idea what it cost to park in DC right outside ChinaTown? Can you even find parking?

Do tell, happy, about parking for a Caps' game. I'd be interested in hearing what puck fans have to cough up to see a game in Washington. (I'll bet the cost's brutal.)

Jan/GSBG

Do tell, happy, about parking for a Caps' game. I'd be interested in hearing what puck fans have to cough up to see a game in Washington. (I'll bet the cost's brutal.)

Jan/GSBG

Verizon Center lot costs $20 but good luck trying to get in there. There are surrounding lots in Gallery Place but Im not sure what they charge. Im pretty sure with all that high dollar shopping and eating, its not under $20 bucks. Only thing DC has which helps is the metro which has a stop right at the arena.

Verizon Center lot costs $20 but good luck trying to get in there. There are surrounding lots in Gallery Place but Im not sure what they charge. Im pretty sure with all that high dollar shopping and eating, its not under $20 bucks. Only thing DC has which helps is the metro which has a stop right at the arena.

Holy schmoly, happy! :o Thanks muchly for the info. Based on what you say, seeing the Caps at home is no easier on the wallet than watching either the Ducks or the Kings in their own digs.

Jan/GSBG

"Arent you a huge Caps fan? Youhave any idea what it cost to park in DC right outside ChinaTown? Can you even find parking?"

I do not even try to park down there. The VC garage is very convenient but steep. The Caps do not control the parking decks around the Verizon Center. (The garage across the street from the VC has a good weekend rate.) We drive to the Springfield Metro stop, park there and ride the Metro in. Free weekend parking on some occassions. Yes, the passes have to be purchased but that is way less than the parking down there. Get there early, tour Ford's theater and.......

Is there a parking problem with every event at the RBC Center? Or, does the problem occur only during Canes' games? What criteria causes a shift in the parking strategy? From my experience is going to the games, it seems the "real-time" shift in the ways cars are being parked causes confusion on both the attendants and the motorists.

I have witnessed parking/traffic messes for the few NC State games I've been to, as well as for some other things. I have heard from other people about the problems they had for concerts and other events. Just last summer there was some business conference at the RBC that started on a weekday morning and messed up the entire rush hour traffic in North and West Raleigh by turning 440 beltline, Wade Ave, Edwards Mill, Blue Ridge into parking lots. So, I'd have to say, no it's not just the Canes games.

With all of the computer gurus out there, it seems that it would be possible to set up a queing theory program and then run several scenarios to come up with an optimal solution to the problem.

That remains 1 of the biggest mysteries to me. I mean this metro area boasts one of the most educated populations in the whole country (and probably the world) with 3 excellent universities, yet the traffic management here (not just at at the RBC Center but in the entire area) seems to be run by high school dropouts...

You guys have a great bargain going on at RBC, fellow Caniacs. I realize the price is up two clams from last year, but I think you'd have a collective coronary shelling out the kind of GA parking bucks that SoCal hockey fans must. (NoCal hockey, by the way, means the San Jose Sharks.)

Yes, and the part of that "bargain" is the arena in the middle of nowhere, with no business/entertainment infrastructure around it, that does not have public transportation availability. It's very easy to disregard this and fall into a trap of comparing RBC Center parking situation with other arenas that are usually in city downtowns and have bus/rail/subway access, and then come up w/ a conclusion that we have a great bargain paying $8 or $10 to park. Add to that the fact that only about 1/2 of the parking facilities are paved, and if you are waved away from those at a whim of a parking attendant (which as we now learned is not really a whim but some high-tech top-secret real-time strategy), you end up parking in a dirt (or mud depending on weather condition) parking lot. Personally, I would not mind paying $15 for parking if someone could guarantee that my car ends up parked on a nice paved piece of real estate :D

As the area around the RBC center is being redeveloped traffic in that area is bound to worsen. If the "people at be" don't have a handle on the ingress/egress now, it will become total chaos then; it shouldn't take a degree in rocket science to come up with a plan that works and stick with that plan throughout the season.

Yes, and the part of that "bargain" is the arena in the middle of nowhere, with no business/entertainment infrastructure around it, that does not have public transportation availability.

If not for Disneyland, Angel Stadium, or Honda Center, fromRaleigh, Anaheim would be just a suburb, indistinguishable from any other. There's absolutely nothing about it that's special, save for those two things.

The public-transportation situation here will be explained momentarily.

... It's very easy to disregard this and fall into a trap of comparing RBC Center parking situation with other arenas that are usually in city downtowns and have bus/rail/subway access, and then come up w/ a conclusion that we have a great bargain paying $8 or $10 to park.

Let me tell you about Anaheim, fromRaleigh. I think you'll be more than a bit surprised how similar it is to Raleigh, in terms of size and public transportation, or lack thereof:

Anaheim, population 345,000 (Raleigh has 374,320 residents), is the concept of a suburb to the hilt: a sprawl of single-story tract homes, "box" apartments, and strip malls. In its midst are playgrounds called Disneyland, Angel Stadium, and Honda Center. Truly -- and I speak as someone who's lived in southern California for all of her almost 47 years -- there is no downtown in Anaheim, merely a busy intersection where the city's central library and the police station stand. Public transportation? That's been a running joke since 1970, the year that the Orange County Transit Authority (http://www.octa.net/) was launched. The OCTA, the only bus system here, grossly underserves much of the county; riders living in northern Orange County usually have at least an hour between bus connections. :blink: (For example, that means an eight-mile, one-way trip from La Habra to Cal State Fullerton takes an hour and a half. :angry: I should know, since that's what I did to get to my college courses.)

It also goes without saying that The O.C. has no subways whatsoever. The lone rail system is Metrolink, a tiny train system that runs every two hours from Riverside to Los Angeles.

So, yes, Honda Center, set in the middle of this utterly suburban setting -- like RBC, with no business infrastructure around it whatsoever -- charges $15, just like an arena in the middle of a major urban area.

Add to that the fact that only about 1/2 of the parking facilities are paved, and if you are waved away from those at a whim of a parking attendant (which as we now learned is not really a whim but some high-tech top-secret real-time strategy), you end up parking in a dirt (or mud depending on weather condition) parking lot.

That's really ugly. I empathasize, fellow Caniac. :(

Personally, I would not mind paying $15 for parking if someone could guarantee that my car ends up parked on a nice paved piece of real estate :D

fromRaleigh: The next time you make plans for a family vacation, with Disneyland and southern California/L.A. on the itinerary, do yourself a huge favor: make that vacation for the holidays so you can check out a Ducks game at Honda Center. If you're looking for a $15 parking spot on "a nice paved piece of real estate," as you request, I really doubt you'll find a tider or more attractive arena lot than the one there. Parking-lot attendants there are obsessive about keeping the place spotless; as a result, it's one of the best and cleanest venues for tailgating -- something that many Ducks fans have embraced with passion.

Jan/GSBG

GSBG, thanks for providing detailed info. No, I've never made it to Anaheim, although I've been to LA a few times, it's just that I sort of had other priorities on those trips, plus they all seem to have fallen outside the hockey season. The public transportation situation you described is very similar if not identical to Raleigh's and Wake Co.'s, and there's no public transportation to or from the RBC center area save for the NC State bus service(The Wolfline), and you have to be affiliated with the university to be able to take it.

Again, as I said before, I am one of the people (probably a minority but I'm sure not the only one) who wouldn't mind paying more for a better quality of parking and better service. If they would just pave all the parking spaces here, I would be more than happy to pay a few more bucks for parking, and then let them tackle a traffic flow as a separate project.

Next time I'm in the LA area, I'll definitely try to catch a hockey game as I do in every town I visit during the season, provided they have a hockey team (NHL or minor league).

GSBG, thanks for providing detailed info.

But of course, fromRaleigh! :) Coming up with heavily researched reports is what I know. That's how I earned my B.A. in journalism, as well as my two teaching credentials: compiling long term papers each week, as well as a 100-page education research project resembling a master's thesis. (If you didn't research your butt off every time you woke up, you'd need to brace yourself to see your papers marked with a big red "D." :( ) One year, I also had to do IEPs (Individual Education Plans) for the students in the special-ed class I substituted for.

No, I've never made it to Anaheim, although I've been to LA a few times, it's just that I sort of had other priorities on those trips, plus they all seem to have fallen outside the hockey season.

Downtown/urban Los Angeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles,_California) is radically different from Anaheim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim and http://www.anaheim.net/images/articles/236...eFinalDraft.pdf), which is basically nothing more than an overgrown suburb. Read the linked articles, fromRaleigh, and you'll see how wildly divergent the two cities are.

Additionally, Anaheim is about 27 miles southeast of downtown L.A. In rush-hour traffic, that's a drive that'll take anywhere from 90 to 120 minutes -- a difference you'll feel the first time you take our lovely 5 Freeway ( :P ).

The public transportation situation you described is very similar if not identical to Raleigh's and Wake Co.'s, and there's no public transportation to or from the RBC center area save for the NC State bus service(The Wolfline), and you have to be affiliated with the university to be able to take it.

It goes without saying that L.A.'s downtown area has a thriving, bustling public-transportation system 24/7, which includes the Metropolitan Transit Authority (http://www.metro.net/default.asp[/post]) and its buses that serve riders every minute or so. (You can say nearly the same for Long Beach Transit, the bus system of Long Beach -- where Mr. G and I lived for four years.) L.A.'s subway and light-rail systems are used heavily, as is Metrolink. In short, residents there have no problems at all choosing public transportation, whereas residents of oh-so-suburban Orange County would rather have their legs amputated at the hip than (gasp!) take the bus. That's why funding for the OCTA is so scant, and why buses in the northern part of the county run every half hour to hour ... if at all. :angry:

Indeed, it's a story of car culture that's spun wildly out of control behind the Orange Curtain. :(

Again, as I said before, I am one of the people (probably a minority but I'm sure not the only one) who wouldn't mind paying more for a better quality of parking and better service. If they would just pave all the parking spaces here, I would be more than happy to pay a few more bucks for parking, and then let them tackle a traffic flow as a separate project.

Then glossy, polished-and-primped-to-the-nines Honda Center (http://www.hondacenter.com/[/post]) sounds exactly like your cup of tea, my man! :D I'd strongly suggest you to check it to see the Ducks when they're in town.

Next time I'm in the LA area, I'll definitely try to catch a hockey game as I do in every town I visit during the season, provided they have a hockey team (NHL or minor league).

fromRaleigh: Again, keep in mind the many radical differences between downtown/urban L.A. and Orange County, including the airports, Los Angeles International (http://www.lawa.org/lax/welcomeLAX.cfm[/post]) and John Wayne International Airport (http://www.ocair.com/) in Costa Mesa. If you take LAX to the area, you'll need to rent a car if you want to check out Disneyland, the Angels, or the Ducks -- otherwise, you'll be stuck shelling out at a few hundred bucks for your taxi trips to the area. :blink:

Should you wish to check out Anaheim/Orange County during hockey season, you'll definitely need to have that rental car ready if you choose to head to the Inland Empire to check out the ECHL Ontario Reign (http://www.ontarioreign.com) during its maiden season.

Jan/GSBG

But of course, fromRaleigh! :) Coming up with heavily researched reports is what I know. That's how I earned my B.A. in journalism, as well as my two teaching credentials: compiling long term papers each week, as well as a 100-page education research project resembling a master's thesis. (If you didn't research your butt off every time you woke up, you'd need to brace yourself to see your papers marked with a big red "D." :( ) One year, I also had to do IEPs (Individual Education Plans) for the students in the special-ed class I substituted for.

Downtown/urban Los Angeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles,_California[/post]) is radically different from Anaheim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim and http://www.anaheim.net/images/articles/236...eFinalDraft.pdf), which is basically nothing more than an overgrown suburb. Read the linked articles, fromRaleigh, and you'll see how wildly divergent the two cities are.

Additionally, Anaheim is about 27 miles southeast of downtown L.A. In rush-hour traffic, that's a drive that'll take anywhere from 90 to 120 minutes -- a difference you'll feel the first time you take our lovely 5 Freeway ( :P ).

It goes without saying that L.A.'s downtown area has a thriving, bustling public-transportation system 24/7, which includes the Metropolitan Transit Authority (http://www.metro.net/default.asp) and its buses that serve riders every minute or so. (You can say nearly the same for Long Beach Transit, the bus system of Long Beach -- where Mr. G and I lived for four years.) L.A.'s subway and light-rail systems are used heavily, as is Metrolink. In short, residents there have no problems at all choosing public transportation, whereas residents of oh-so-suburban Orange County would rather have their legs amputated at the hip than (gasp!) take the bus. That's why funding for the OCTA is so scant, and why buses in the northern part of the county run every half hour to hour ... if at all. :angry:

Indeed, it's a story of car culture that's spun wildly out of control behind the Orange Curtain. :(

Then glossy, polished-and-primped-to-the-nines Honda Center (http://www.hondacenter.com/) sounds exactly like your cup of tea, my man! :D I'd strongly suggest you to check it to see the Ducks when they're in town.

fromRaleigh: Again, keep in mind the many radical differences between downtown/urban L.A. and Orange County, including the airports, Los Angeles International (http://www.lawa.org/lax/welcomeLAX.cfm) and John Wayne International Airport (http://www.ocair.com/) in Costa Mesa. If you take LAX to the area, you'll need to rent a car if you want to check out Disneyland, the Angels, or the Ducks -- otherwise, you'll be stuck shelling out at a few hundred bucks for your taxi trips to the area. :blink:

Should you wish to check out Anaheim/Orange County during hockey season, you'll definitely need to have that rental car ready if you choose to head to the Inland Empire to check out the ECHL Ontario Reign (http://www.ontarioreign.com) during its maiden season.

Jan/GSBG

Please GSBG, stay on topic. I'm trying to read about the parking issues and the meeting at RBC and next thing I know I'm getting an education on Anaheim and your scholastic background. If you want to educate us on SoCal, could you start a separate topic over in OT? I'm sure many of the members here would be interested. This one is about parking issues at RBC.

Downtown/urban Los Angeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles,_California[/post]) is radically different from Anaheim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim and http://www.anaheim.net/images/articles/236...eFinalDraft.pdf), which is basically nothing more than an overgrown suburb. Read the linked articles, fromRaleigh, and you'll see how wildly divergent the two cities are.

It goes without saying that L.A.'s downtown area has a thriving, bustling public-transportation system 24/7, which includes the Metropolitan Transit Authority (http://www.metro.net/default.asp) and its buses that serve riders every minute or so. (You can say nearly the same for Long Beach Transit, the bus system of Long Beach -- where Mr. G and I lived for four years.) L.A.'s subway and light-rail systems are used heavily, as is Metrolink. In short, residents there have no problems at all choosing public transportation, whereas residents of oh-so-suburban Orange County would rather have their legs amputated at the hip than (gasp!) take the bus. That's why funding for the OCTA is so scant, and why buses in the northern part of the county run every half hour to hour ... if at all. :angry:

Then glossy, polished-and-primped-to-the-nines Honda Center (http://www.hondacenter.com/) sounds exactly like your cup of tea, my man! :D I'd strongly suggest you to check it to see the Ducks when they're in town.

fromRaleigh: Again, keep in mind the many radical differences between downtown/urban L.A. and Orange County, including the airports, Los Angeles International (http://www.lawa.org/lax/welcomeLAX.cfm) and John Wayne International Airport (http://www.ocair.com/) in Costa Mesa. If you take LAX to the area, you'll need to rent a car if you want to check out Disneyland, the Angels, or the Ducks -- otherwise, you'll be stuck shelling out at a few hundred bucks for your taxi trips to the area. :blink:

Jan/GSBG

Oh my goodness! Jan, for you to take this much time and effort on this topic must mean one thing: your life is getting simpler, better and less complicated!

PS: did the Griswald vaca in 1972...Chicago -> WallyWorld. Enjoyed it.