The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chl

Letowski signs with Barys Astana (KHL)

Wow, thats kind of sad. I cant believe that no other team was willing to take a chance on him for depth.

Nice guy, best of luck to him.

Don't feel sad, caniacs. It might not be a matter of there not being any interest in him from NHL teams. He could just want to try something new. I'd imagine it would be rather exciting to take part in the inaugural season of a big new league like the KHL. Plus, he'll likely make more money over there. He only signed for one year according to that site so he can give it a try and if he doesn't like it he can always return to the nhl next year where I'm sure he can find a job.

Hey not to go too of topic, but that's a pretty sweet site that you found there. I've been looking for a KHL website and finally found one (kind of). I think the big KHL website is still under construction, the one for the time being is www.khl.ru right now I think it's just mainly updating people whats going on with the KHL. In one of the headings it says that the future website will have online broadcasting. I wonder if that means that they will be streaming some of the games online, that'd be pretty sweet. Hopefully it won't only be online radio broadcasts, my russian is a little rusty

Well that sucks. I was hoping Trevor could find a team here. He's a good player for depth and he could make it on a couple teams 3rd line. Best of luck to him over there.

Heck, i think we should have signed him for a base price and put him on defense in place of good ole Kabs(the invisible d-man)!!!At least there would have been some effort on his part to stop the puck from going in the net!!! :lol::rolleyes:;)

Letowski was a smallish guy who skated well, but always looked like he should be a touch better than he was. He worked hard and was very fluid, but for some reason just couldn't put up points in the NHL. Just shows how elite those who can score consistantly in the NHL really are.

Interesting, he had the best shooting % on the team last year (of players who played a decent # games). Probably only shot if he had a great chance. Very few asssists though.

Still, a nice guy. I wish him well.

Yes, it's based in Russia but includes a team from Belarus, Latvia and Kazakhstan. It replaces the old Russian Superleague. This is basically an attempt at creating a huge league to rival the nhl. Tons of money is getting poured into it. They've already invited Farjestads and Frolunda from Sweden to join and Karpat (Finland), HC Sokol Kyiv (Ukraine) and Energie Karlovy Vary (Belarus) are rumoured to be interested in joining. Eventually Belarus wants to have 4 teams in the league. So far they've mostly overpaid journeymen players such as Letowski to go over there. Off the top of my head the only really good players they've lured over are Jaromir Jagr who was a ufa and Alexander Radulov from Nashville who was actually still under contract here. I'm sure the league will do fine but I can't see them being able to lure over our top players. You have a really restricted life outside of hockey when playing professionally in Russia so I can't see North American players wanting to stay there long term plus there's the issue of raising a family in a foreign land.

Another former cane playing there this coming season is Josef Vasicek. He signed on with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv a while back. John Grahame is playing for Avangard Omsk as well.

We just heard and my youngest son (Trevor's buddy last two seasons) is upset. In talking with Trevor we know he was hoping to renew his contract with us. We also knew the reality of the situation that Trevor could be picked up elsewhere. My youngest faced that fact, but never thought Trevor would end up in Russia! Trevor will be missed by my family, especially his buddy. We wish him the best though.

Hi everyone. Been a while since I've been on but would like to comment on Trevor Letowski. I feel that he certainly was a better player than his recent stats indicated but considering the lack of quality ice-time he received he didn't do too badly. He was not on the power play and always killing penalties and very often only had 5-7 minutes a game so points were very difficult to come by. When his name went out that he was making himself available to any team' (to leave his beloved NHL was a very difficult decision), Baris Astana jumped on him like a cat on a mouse. Other European teams also expressed definite interest but couldn't come close to the offerings that were thrown his way by Astana. I, and many others, wish him all the best and hope that he does well. I understand that his wish is to hopefully redeem himself and return to the NHL.

Trevor has accomplished a great deal in his career including representing Canada in the World Juniors which they won (he assisted on the title clinching goal on a beautiful play). He also represented Canada in the Worlds a few years ago. There are numerous other accomplishments that I cannot list as this is an impromptu submission so I do not have his stats handy.

He is a class act who never turns down a charitable event invitation in his hometown of Thunder Bay and has very quietly contributed financially to many causes. He would be embarrassed to read this as he is a very private individual concerning these types of issues.

Good Luck to you Trevor and your beautiful new wife Amy.

Well said. We hope you stick around here this season and keep us posted on how he's doing.

Hi everyone. Been a while since I've been on but would like to comment on Trevor Letowski. I feel that he certainly was a better player than his recent stats indicated but considering the lack of quality ice-time he received he didn't do too badly. He was not on the power play and always killing penalties and very often only had 5-7 minutes a game so points were very difficult to come by. When his name went out that he was making himself available to any team' (to leave his beloved NHL was a very difficult decision), Baris Astana jumped on him like a cat on a mouse. Other European teams also expressed definite interest but couldn't come close to the offerings that were thrown his way by Astana. I, and many others, wish him all the best and hope that he does well. I understand that his wish is to hopefully redeem himself and return to the NHL.

Trevor has accomplished a great deal in his career including representing Canada in the World Juniors which they won (he assisted on the title clinching goal on a beautiful play). He also represented Canada in the Worlds a few years ago. There are numerous other accomplishments that I cannot list as this is an impromptu submission so I do not have his stats handy.

He is a class act who never turns down a charitable event invitation in his hometown of Thunder Bay and has very quietly contributed financially to many causes. He would be embarrassed to read this as he is a very private individual concerning these types of issues.

Good Luck to you Trevor and your beautiful new wife Amy.

I wish Trevor luck. I have actually went to Kazakhstan in 2006. I remember that it is quite mountainous and dry. The cities were pretty run down but were starting to be rebuilt. I don't mean to offend anyone one of the local foods, horse sausage, was really very good. The people were very nice and very very hospitable. I wonder what, if any, role that Irbe plays on the Latvian team ... possibly a coach?

wonder what, if any, role that Irbe plays on the Latvian team ... possibly a coach?

He's the goalie coach for Dynamo Riga.