The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac1026

Training Camp Roster

I was surprised to see Dan LaCouture as a Free Agent Tryout. I remember that he played for the Rangers at some point. Anyone have any thoughts on him?

LaCouture is a great hockey name. Other than that, I think he's just a depth guy. Think Craig Adams without the upside.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=19371''>http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=19371' target="_blank">http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=19371[/post]

Quick look at the roster:

**All training camp practices are open to the general public.

2008 Training Camp Roster

Goaltenders

Number Name 2007-08 Team

30 Cam Ward Carolina (NHL)

40 David Leggio Clarkson (ECAC) - Free Agent Tryout

49 Michael Leighton Carolina (NHL), Albany (AHL)

50 Daniel Manzato Albany (AHL), Las Vegas (ECHL), Charlotte (ECHL)

60 Justin Peters Albany (AHL), Florida (ECHL)

70 Mike Murphy Belleville (OHL)

Defense

Number Name 2007-08 Team

4 Dennis Seidenberg Carolina (NHL)

5 Frantisek Kaberle Carolina (NHL)

6 Tim Gleason Carolina (NHL)

7 Niclas Wallin Carolina (NHL)

22 Josef Melichar Linkoping (Sweden), C. Budejovice (Czech)

25 Joni Pitkanen Edmonton (NHL)

27 Brett Carson Albany (AHL)

29 Bryan Rodney Albany (AHL), Columbia (ECHL), Elmira (ECHL)

33 Anton Babchuk Avangard Omsk (Russia)

38 Tim Conboy Carolina (NHL), Albany (AHL)

43 Noah Babin Albany (AHL)

46 Mark Flood Albany (AHL)

47 Michal Jordan Windsor (OHL), Plymout (OHL)

48 Ryan McGinnis Oshawa (OHL) - Free Agent Tryout

53 Casey Borer Carolina (NHL), Albany (AHL)

71 Benn Olson Seattle (WHL) - Free Agent Tryout

73 Brett Bellemore Plymouth (OHL), Albany (AHL)

77 Joe Corvo Carolina (NHL), Ottawa (NHL)

Forwards

Number Name 2007-08 Team

8 Matt Cullen Carolina (NHL)

11 Justin Williams Carolina (NHL)

12 Eric Staal Carolina (NHL)

13 Ray Whitney Carolina (NHL)

14 Sergei Samsonov Carolina (NHL)

15 Tuomo Ruutu Carolina (NHL)

16 Brandon Sutter Albany (AHL), Red Deer (WHL)

17 Rod Brind'Amour Carolina (NHL)

18 Ryan Bayda Carolina (NHL), Albany (AHL)

20 Dan LaCouture Lugano (Swiss)

23 Zach Boychuk Lethbridge (WHL)

24 Scott Walker Carolina (NHL)

28 Wade Brookbank Carolina (NHL), Albany (AHL)

31 Robert Slaney Cape Breton (QMJHL) - Signed by Albany

32 Trevor Gillies Albany (AHL)

34 Joe Jensen Carolina (NHL), Albany (AHL),

W-B/Scranton (AHL), Wheeling (ECHL)

39 Patrick Dwyer Albany (AHL)

41 Harrison Reed Guelph (OHL), Sarnia (OHL)

44 Patrick Eaves Carolina (NHL), Ottawa (NHL)

51 Ryan Weston Boston University (HE), Albany (AHL) - Free Agent Tryout

52 Mike Angelidis Albany (AHL)

54 Stefan Chaput Albany (AHL), Lewiston (QMJHL)

56 Jakub Petruzalek Albany (AHL)

57 Drayson Bowman Spokane (WHL)

58 Chris Terry Albany (AHL), Plymouth (OHL)

59 Chad LaRose Carolina (NHL)

61 Samuel Morneau Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)

63 Dwight Helminen JYP Jyvaskyla (Finland)

64 Justin McCrae Spokane (WHL), Saskatoon (WHL)

65 Nick Dodge Clarkson (ECAC)

67 Jerome Samson Albany (AHL)

72 Nicolas Blanchard Albany (AHL)

74 Brett Theberge Peterborough (OHL) - Free Agent Tryout

92 Jeff O'Neill Did not play

All in all, I like to see Benn Olson to be on a free agent tryout list. That is a step in the right direction for team toughness. 20 fights last season? Thats amazing, to say the least. I hope he makes the team or at least Albany.

Here is his fight profile on Hockeyfights.com....

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1474

I would love to see him make the team and either stay in the AHL and make his way up or just come in and take Brookbank's spot.

On LaCouture - I agree with what you said, Craig Adams with out the upside. Besides the fact that LaCouture, well at that anyone, can fight better than Craig Adams. Just a depth signing IF we sign him.

All in all, I like to see Benn Olson to be on a free agent tryout list. That is a step in the right direction for team toughness. 20 fights last season? Thats amazing, to say the least. I hope he makes the team or at least Albany.

Here is his fight profile on Hockeyfights.com....

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1474''>http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1474' target="_blank">http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1474[/post]

I would love to see him make the team and either stay in the AHL and make his way up or just come in and take Brookbank's spot.

On LaCouture - I agree with what you said, Craig Adams with out the upside. Besides the fact that LaCouture, well at that anyone, can fight better than Craig Adams. Just a depth signing IF we sign him.

No way is Olson nhl ready. You're right that it's a step in the right direction but he'll need a few seasons in the ahl.

How many of the new guys do we expect to make the final roster? I know they are trying hard to find a spot for Brandon Sutter.. penciled in as 4th line center I believe.. A lot of people have been talking about Boychuk, but I think he's headed for albany.. Zac Dalpe is not even in training camp, he's headed to WisconsinU... Anyone else with a remote chance of making the team?

Really?!? Wow, the Ohio State coach is going to be p.o.'ed when he hears that. :P

I wish he was going to Wisconsin and playing under Mike Eaves. Ohio State's program is less than impressive.

How many of the new guys do we expect to make the final roster? I know they are trying hard to find a spot for Brandon Sutter.. penciled in as 4th line center I believe.. A lot of people have been talking about Boychuk, but I think he's headed for albany.. Zac Dalpe is not even in training camp, he's headed to WisconsinU... Anyone else with a remote chance of making the team?

People have been talking about Boychuk but not for this season, for the future. He definetely won't be headed for Albany, he's too young. You have to be 20 by December or have played 4 full seasons in major junior and he fits neither of those categories. He'll continue to rehab from his wrist surgery and then go back to Lethbridge. Only young guy with a remote chance of making the team is Bowman and he'd have to be really impressive in camp to make the team. He'll be headed back to Spokane where he can log a ton of minutes and do everything for the chiefs.

David Leggio is interesting to me- I'm a Clarkson Student now. He's a senior this year, Kind of surprising that he would leave now...

He would probably be in ECHL at best anyway...

Really?!? Wow, the Ohio State coach is going to be p.o.'ed when he hears that. :P

Hahah.. oops.. wrong school.. well I knew he was going to college... Someone was going to Wisconsin.. thought it was him.. LOL

David Leggio is interesting to me- I'm a Clarkson Student now. He's a senior this year, Kind of surprising that he would leave now...

He would probably be in ECHL at best anyway...

He signed a contract with Binghampton of the ahl back in April and is expected to back-up Jeff Glass there. He already played half a game for them at the end of last season in a loss. Not sure why you think this is his senior year, though. He was a freshman back in 04-05 so last year was his senior year.