The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BigJohn-ch1

Season Prediction

I'm pretty sure we'll be back in the Playoffs, and I expect Staal to be back 100+ points (or at least close to it). I think the 'Pit Cannon' and Corvo putting up good numbers, but I'm still a bit sceptic about the defensive performance, not saying it's getting bad, but I don't see it becoming the big strength of this team.

However, I don't see Lavi being fired, but this season seems to be the big one for him to prove himself.

We will make the playoffs.....But we will be below 500 hockey until Christmas Lavi will be fired.

With new coach we go right into the playoffs.

I am gonna have to say you are wrong!! With a new coach you will have to implement a new style of play and that can take awhile. New coach = no playoffs!! I really wish some of you were watching things during the Coach Mo era and you would understand where I am coming from. This isn't a lovefest by any means, when Mo lost the team I was one of the ones in the stands chanting "Coach Mo Must Go" after ever loss. It will really depend on why we fall below 500, if it is injuries then you can hardly fault Lavi. If Lavi goes then it is time for JR to go too!! I don't know why most of you want to give him a free pass, Lavi can only work with what he is given and we know how JR likes to occasionally resign folks that didn't do the job before (Tanabe, Vasicek,etc.). Sometimes he plays it a little too conservative on the talent he acquires.

My prediction for the winner this season is as follows:

A reverse global warming effect will happen, causing hell to freeze over. The Maple Leafs will then win the division, the conference and the league as well as every play off round in 4 games including winning the Stanley Cup. :lol:

My prediction for the winner this season is as follows:

A reverse global warming effect will happen, causing hell to freeze over. The Maple Leafs will then win the division, the conference and the league as well as every play off round in 4 games including winning the Stanley Cup. :lol:

But only after Sundin leaves. ;)

All seriousness here... Canes go 45-31-6 for a total of 96 points, winning the SE Division by 3 points over the Caps. Staal JUST misses the 100 point mark, falling a deuce shy with a 44-54. Corvo finishes top five in the league in points by a defenseman, a good chunk of them coming on the PP. Pitkanen won't be overly impressive (but not bad) early, and the board will get on his case until he comes around in January or so. Scott Walker will completely KO somebody in a fight in November. Brind'Amour will be back strong, heading up a quietly potent second line with Williams and Whitney for one last good run. Cam Ward will finish top 10 in the league in save % and wins, but his GAA will still be relatively high due to our style of play. Glen Wesley will cry when they put his number in the rafters.

Playoff-wise, we will defeat sixth seeded Ottawa in five games, then fall in the conference semis in a hard fought six game series with Pittsburgh, after forcing the series back to Raleigh with a dramatic come from behind OT win at their place.

All seriousness here... Canes go 45-31-6 for a total of 96 points, winning the SE Division by 3 points over the Caps. Staal JUST misses the 100 point mark, falling a deuce shy with a 44-54. Corvo finishes top five in the league in points by a defenseman, a good chunk of them coming on the PP. Pitkanen won't be overly impressive (but not bad) early, and the board will get on his case until he comes around in January or so. Scott Walker will completely KO somebody in a fight in November. Brind'Amour will be back strong, heading up a quietly potent second line with Williams and Whitney for one last good run. Cam Ward will finish top 10 in the league in save % and wins, but his GAA will still be relatively high due to our style of play. Glen Wesley will cry when they put his number in the rafters.

Playoff-wise, we will defeat sixth seeded Ottawa in five games, then fall in the conference semis in a hard fought six game series with Pittsburgh, after forcing the series back to Raleigh with a dramatic come from behind OT win at their place.

Pretty detailed prediction there.. I was gonna go with a simple "We kick SE Division butt and head to the playoffs".. but I hope all the stuff in yours comes true, except maybe the losing in the semis (although that would still be a good showing, but you gotta hope for going all the way).. I hope Walker is not the only one KOing people.. I dont want our guys to fight for no reason, but I felt like the team toughness helped us last year beat a few teams who would previously just walk all over us (Bruins, Wings, Caps).. even though we fell short of the playoffs last year by one point to the Bruins, I felt like last year was a good year all in all even with the horrible rash of injuries. We may not win the Cup again this year, but we will make a good showing, perhaps a second or thrid round exit in the playoffs and overall have a good year.

With all the players they lost?? No way...Pitt doesn't even make the playoffs this year. And if they do, they'll be lucky to get the 8th spot. :D

:lol: funny opening post, but I don't believe what happened to Caps last year will happen to us. We either make the playoff and Laviolette of course stays, or we miss the playoffs and he's fired (or he's fired after a very bad start, and we miss the playoffs anyway).

I hate to make predictions though. I'd like to be optimistic and hope for the best, but that's how I felt at the beginning of last 2 seasons and look how they ended up. What can I say - the team seems to have the skills, and after last season they should have plenty of motivation. As a matter of fact they should be mad and angry about how they took few months off and squandered a pretty nice division/conference position, and then had bad luck with injuries as soon as they started to get their act back together, only to be denied playoffs in the very last game by a loss to a team that they have owned in the last few years coupled with an improbable and mind-boggling 11 (or 12) game win streak by the main division rival. :angry: Hopefully, this team is tougher than the 1 from last season, as JR and coach Laviolette got the message that the league is unfortunately reverting to pre-lockout style of hockey where thuggery is not sanctioned.

So, all I am going to say is that I hope we make the playoffs, as we do have what it takes to get there.

I say we take out the miserable kitty cats on opening night 7-2. Also beat the wings 4-2. Lavi stays because he does a good job, and he's better than what we would replace him with. We have a strong season and finish 2nd in the conference. I'm sorry, but beyond that it's a bit hazy yet...

I just visited the NHL.com site and saw the poll "Which team will win the Southeast Division title in 2008-09?" and so far the canes are in third in votes at 8%, behind Tampa Bay with 31% and Washington with 55%. I went through the usual emotions when I see the Canes disrespected... but it always ends with me laughing and saying to myself "people said the same thing in 05."

Preseason polls are useless

I predict that the Hurricanes will win the division by 5 points over the Caps, no other team being close. One of our wings will be injured by december, and prompt a trade for Erik Cole at the Deadline (Oilers will have another poor season, and we will give 2 mid level prospects and a pick for a slumping Cole). Staal will score 102 points, Larose will score 30 points, Williams and Roddy will be back to their usual selves, Cullen-Corvo, Pitkanen-Babchuk on the powerplay points will propel us into the playoffs. We will advance to the conference final and lose to Pittsburgh (J. Staal will shine this year). To take it a step further, Pittsburgh will miserably lose to Detroit, who will have the best record in the regular season ever, partly because they will sign Mats Sundin in January for league minimum.

Lavi will not be fired after a successful season.

I predict we begin the season undefeated. You heard it here first.

We're tied for first in the league right now ;)

We're tied for first in the league right now ;)

We're also tied for last in the league right now

Sorry, thought the board might crash if I didn't point out the pessimistic side of the coin :lol:

i can only predict that someone will blame Kaberle at least once per loss,lol.

In all seriousness, I think the Caps and Canes will really strengthen their rivalry to a new level this season. both of us will make the playoffs, but i can't confidently say we'll win the division, , but i'm pretty confident we make the playoffs.

I also predict that staal isn't the only Cane at the All-star game this season, he shall be joined by Joe Corvo.

i can only predict that someone will blame Kaberle at least once per loss,lol.

In all seriousness, I think the Caps and Canes will really strengthen their rivalry to a new level this season. both of us will make the playoffs, but i can't confidently say we'll win the division, , but i'm pretty confident we make the playoffs.

I also predict that staal isn't the only Cane at the All-star game this season, he shall be joined by Joe Corvo.

That is so true! Poor Poor Frankie!

I like Corvo in the All-star game as well...though I could see Sam-So-Nov there too.

I say we pull a "Patriot"...go undefeated during the regular season and then go up 3-0 in the SCFs and then lay an egg by losing games 4 through 7.

I say we pull a "Patriot"...go undefeated during the regular season and then go up 3-0 in the SCFs and then lay an egg by losing games 4 through 7.

Complete with Geno Nabokov saving game 7 for the Sharks in OT by miraculously pinning an Eric Staal slapper to his helmet?

Also, this would require Lavi to have cameras and mics hidden inside the visitors' locker room at RBC.

:o you know Im right here!

BTW, Id take the Canes going on a 18 win roll followed by only one GIANT loss. Hehe