The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CullenFan2006

Hurricanes Goal Horn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ptAuG2nXEA&feature=related' target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ptAuG2nXEA...feature=related[/post]

Forgive me if thise has been discussed on here, But I thought some of you would find this interesting. Someone made a list of the 5 worst Goal Horns in the NHL and decribed our horn as "Depressing".

Woo hooo! The canes are #1

and the guy who wrote the video omments is clueless...

I like our horn as well, And I may be being biased because I'm a Canes Fan, But after hearing all the other teams Goal Horns, I still like our's the best. I think the guy who made the video has a little to much time on his hands and thought it was quite humorous when he said Ric Flair was the "Announcer" and was the only one cheering......lol

just go to youtube and in the search field type nhl goal horns, There are several tat are just pitifull. Ours and San Jose's are the best. the craps are pitiful with their siren, but probably appropriate due to DC's high crime rate.

This topic has been discussed several times on this and other boards. You love the only horn you're used to hearing and all others sound bad. FWIW, our horn was made by Kahlenburg, a company that makes ships horns (which is what ours is). IIRC, it's a model T-3. It and many others are still made. You can find it at Kahlenburg.com Some of those other horns sound more like the brass section of a symphony orchestra striking a chord than a ship horn. But with two or more horns in tandem (ours has three), I guess you can tune it to sound any way you want.

Yeah mean people have something other than a loud fog horn? Why would they do that? /sarcasm I love our horn cause it shakes the whole building when we score, and i love when you watch on TV (whatever team) you can hear them when they score.

As far as his video, ours is certainly the best of the 5 since its the only one with a multi tone, and the loudest. As far as the whole "only the announcer is cheering" first off, he obviously has never been in the arena to know the "Carolina Goal Woooo!" is a video played on the jumbotron. But as for being the only one cheering... you can tell from the echo of the Wooooo Woooooo that the arena is empty..obviously someone recorded that when they were testing the sound system or pulled it off the website.. not game conditions. This guys a big wanker who has no idea what he's talking about.. so much so he has to put "Dont be offended Canes fans, i'm picking on you for no reason, please dont kill me, i'm a stupid n0ob" in his title says all. At least its neat to hear the other horns.

Hahaha... I watched his "best" and thats just funny... the ones he picked were all high pitched strangled sounded air horns... strangly identical to the LA Kings horn and the author is LAKINGS51 or something... go figure. The ones he didnt like were the lower, deeper sounding fog horns. I liked the dallas one, since it was a three note chord, similar to ours. Listening to the video of all 30 there seem to be 2 types, train horns and ship/fog horns. The guy likes his kind and not the other..

The real question is which do you prefer, a horn guy like the Avs who pulls it multiple times... Hooooonk Hooonk...Honk.....or a guy like the Canes who just lays on it Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk....(yeah..ive heard us do multilple blasts before.. esspecially at the end of a game)... I kinda like the one long blast.. but for a really important goal like a shootout winner, or empty netter that puts away a playoff game go ahead and yank it three or four times. :)

And g105 is right.. you like your own and not the other.. when you are watching the Canes play on the road on TV, you want to go the whole game WITHOUT hearing the Thrashers horn or Caps horn.. when you do hear it it means we gave up a goal and we come up with new cuss words.. Obviously this is a topic where you like your own and hate everyone elses just because they are yours or not yours.

Have heard most of them, but ours as stated before has a feel all it's own using a local celelb adds flair and singular meaning to it. Now as for some of the others, I like the Habs (after ours, of course) but that is for another time...

I thought it was humorous... The part I liked was hearing some of the other horns that I had never heard before. Dallas's was pretty cool, and San Jose's was very LOW... like a good fog horn... If he wants to say ours is the worst I dont care.. his LA Kings horn sounded like it was choking on the smog any damn way... LOL :D

It's supposed to be depressing for the opposing goalie...

I agree there. I also think Ducks horn is so depressing to the goalie that just let the puck into the net. I think 'Canes horn is fair, it's the Hurricane warning sound, and it sounds great in the RBC Center when Carolina scores. My favourite is probably Buffalo/Nashville/Washington one (Well, I know those ones aren't exactly the same but they sure sound similiar!), along with Wild and Calgary (former Flyers horn!).

ours sounds better in person. for me, the worst are the ones that all sound way too similar: Tampa, Toronto, Philly, St. Louis, Boston, LA and some others.

Yep, those horns are almost the same with some little differences. LA has got a new one from previous season, and I don't know why Boston changed their horn, for something like that...