The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Julia Rowe

Thought I'd pass along the sad news that Julia Rowe passed away early this morning. She was an amazingly strong little girl that made people smile.

She was truly "relentless" in her fight against her illness.

That is sad, I hear Chip and one of the reporters at the skate talking about it today. I was saddened to hear it. I hope they didn't blindside the guys with the news after the practice.

That is sad, I hear Chip and one of the reporters at the skate talking about it today. I was saddened to hear it. I hope they didn't blindside the guys with the news after the practice.

I told Aaron Ward as he was coming out...we talked for a minute about it, and then he had to leave. He seemed stunned as well...

:(

Looks like the news is spreading fast:

Rowe's death 'heart-breaking'

Submitted by chipalexander on 08/26/2008 - 12:50

Hurricanes players and staff members were saddened today to learn of the death of Julia Rowe, the young girl whose battle with leukemia proved so inspiring to the team during its run to the Stanley Cup in 2006.

Rowe, a neighbor of Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette, was the impetus behind the "relentless" motto that the team used during the playoffs. Laviolette sold wristbands to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Eastern N.C. Rowe's family donated bottles of Shafer's Relentless wine to Laviolette

I so did not want to open this thread again, knowing most likely what it was going to report. In my view, there is NOTHING worse as an adult than losing a child. It's just not how the universe is ordered......you are prepared at a young age to accept the older generation passing on. That makes sense, it has a sense of order. Not so the younger one's going before you. I work primarly with a geriatric population, and even at their advanced age (80s, 90s), when they talk about one of their children who has died before them (regardless of if that child died at a very young age or if that child lived to be 50), the pain these parents express is still quite acute. I'm always startled by it.

So sad........so, so sad for the Rowe family.

So tragic that this little girl had to battle such a horrible disease. Her fight was backed by her parents, her friends, the Hurricanes, and the fans. Though I never met her, the words people use to speak of her shows signs of a true hero. I have known people with leukemia and the pain these people suffered is nothing anyone should have to experience, especially a child.

My heart and prayers go out to her family. She is in a much better place now with no suffering. May God provide her parents with the strength to be at-ease now.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Rowe family. :(

What a tragedy for both the Rowe family and for the Hurricanes organization to lose this brave and kind young girl. My thoughts and prayers go out from southern California to Canesville. :(

Jan/GSBG

Rats...I knew she was a special little girl. Saddening as it is, she is in a better place. I wish her family a special Peace at this time. I changed my avatar to the relentless bracelet like TSA...maybe others could do it too...

EDIT: Avatar didn't take

EDIT II: Thanks TSA...you rock!

Thought I'd pass along the sad news that Julia Rowe passed away early this morning. She was an amazingly strong little girl that made people smile.

She was truly "relentless" in her fight against her illness.

As a Dad, I can't imagine the pain of seeing a child suffer and lose a battle against this awful disease. I feel so bad for the Rowe family and i will rember them and Julia in my prayers. Rich Killoran Winston-Salem,NC

Luke has added his thoughts too:

In a too-brief life, a legacy of inspiration

Submitted by ldecock on 08/26/2008 - 15:53

It is almost impossible now, more than two years later, to recall the sheer emotion associated with the Hurricanes' run to the Stanley Cup, how every moment seemed drenched in significance.

Some of that is natural, the product of being immersed in a playoff run -- it happens with every team that wins a playoff round or two. Fans, and to a lesser extent the media, can't help but be caught up in the drama. And after it's over, it fades. Soon, even the memory becomes sepia-tinged -- certain to provoke a smile, perhaps, from a fan reminiscing about better days, but without the stomach-dropping excitement and tension that lurked around every corner.

Today, the news of Julia Rowe's untimely passing brought it all back. The memory of Peter Laviolette sitting at the podium after the Game 7 win in the Eastern Conference finals with a bottle of wine signed by Rowe, destined for Rod Brind'Amour and designed to subtly give Buffalo coach Lindy "they had champagne on ice" Ruff his comeuppance, seems as fresh today as it did that night.

"When I first moved here to Raleigh 2 1/2 years ago, I became very friendly with her family," Laviolette said. "She made it through all of her chemo and went into remission and about three months ago she went back and she found out she had leukemia again. Her dad came over and gave me a bottle of wine. ...

"The wristband I have been wearing through the entire playoffs says 'relentless' and the bottle of wine that he brought up says 'relentless' and it went to the player tonight who best exemplified a relentless attitude and what makes it special is a little girl signed it.

"So anyway, Rod Brind'Amour will get this award tonight."

"Whatever It Takes" may have been the "official" motto of the Hurricanes' playoff run, but Laviolette's "relentless" wristbands and the Rowe family's gift of Shafer's "Relentless" wine offered as much if not far more inspiration. The Stanley Cup was won here by grown men fighting for each other, but also for a little girl whose fight had far higher stakes.

Quietly, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Eastern N.C. became the Hurricanes' unofficial charity of record. Trainer Pete Friesen raised more than $42,000 for LLS with his two 5K runs before the past two seasons. He was hoping Julia would be there next month as grand marshal of the third running. Instead, her presence will be felt in a different way.

For Laviolette, it was more than a crusade. It was a calling. His fund-raising for LLS wasn't charity. It was personal. When a Toronto Sun writer recklessly and shamefully ignored Laviolette's request to keep an update on Rowe's condition confidential last season, Laviolette was apoplectic. It wasn't so much that his wishes had been discarded, although hockey coaches don't take abrogations of their authority lightly. It was his heartfelt concern for a young girl who had become family and for her family, who he felt didn't need to be reading about her illness in a newspaper, here or elsewhere.

We can safely assume Laviolette is unhappy, even angry, that the news of her passing is public. He shouldn't be. Her public role in 2006 created a wide circle of well-wishers and supporters inside and outside the Triangle's hockey community who wanted nothing more than to see her make a full recovery, and who deserve the chance to join him in mourning a life that ended far too soon but leaves a legacy beyond its years.

From Saskatchewan to the Rowe family:

Our hearts and prayers are with you all. Julia was and will forever remain an inspiration to us all. Rest in peace Julia. Gone, but never forgotten.

From my familiy to the Rowe family we wish you comfort in this time of grief.

With the prayers and hopes of so many behind you and Julia, may you have great comfort knowing she will forever more be free of pain and enjoy eternal life.

There will be a lot of things Canes fans remember about that season, but if you ask many of them what the most important part of the season was, I'll bet a lot of people would say, if they thought about it for any length of time, what Julia Rowe gave to and meant to the 2005 Canes. I don't think it is stretching a point to say that if not for Julia's relationship with Coach Laviolette, Roddie doesn't get to hoist that Cup. Think about it.

Nothing can ever make up for the loss of a child, but hopefully the family will see constant reminders of what their daughter meant to the team and this community every time they see a Hurricanes/Stanley Cup Champs t-shirt.

I hate to see anyone sick like this poor little girl was but it bothers me even more when it is a child. My thoughts go out to her family.

Very sad news to hear. As ivyleaguer was saying, you're just trained to accept that the older generation dies first. I'm not a father yet, so I can't even imagine the heart ache, pain and any other emotion out there that could go along with this. And knowing that she could eventually die doesn't prepare anyone for the matter. I think it makes it harder. Regardless, I know she is in a very special, marvelous place where she will never feel anymore pain or suffering, and will see her family again someday. My prayers go out to the Rowe family and anyone else who has had to deal with this kind of heartache.