The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Julia Rowe

How painful the reminder is sometimes that we don't live in a very fair world, and that something as remorseless and destructive as cancer can be brought upon those who are the brightest and least deserving. We wonder why God lets it happen. It is these same people however who have the ability to turn a terrible situation like cancer into something miraculous; that is they take their situation and help other people in need. She helped a hockey team make an incredible Cup run, and more importantly helped raise money to fight the disease in hopes of one day finding a cure. Besides those things, she uplifted the spirts of many with her own fight against Leukemia.

She truly was a miracle, and God knew it. Not even cancer or early death will dim that fact; she was his miracle worker. And now she gets the reward; eternity with the miracle man himself. Heaven is rejoicing.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

my thoughts and prayers go out to the Rowe family in this tragic time. are they still selling the bracelets, or was it just for the team?

Just like crazycansfan31 mentioned, they will be on sale at a booth at the Friesen 5K on Sept 14th. I think you can also get them through the Leukemia and Lymphoma society locally. (see my sig)

I donated platelets (white blood cells) in memory of a friend that I lost to cancer for over twenty years. Unfortunately, health conditions demanded that I stop my donations. The process is easy, and with Rexx Blood Center's new machines, the process takes about an hour. I hope the Canes can encourage their fans to make a donation in memory of this little girl. Every donation gives someone extra time with her/his family and friends. Do it for Julia.

How sad to learn of Julia's untimely death. She lived a life of courage and conviction and brought a special grace to the lives she touched, far beyond her immediate reach. Those who love her will never get over the loss of her presence, but they will continue to be blessed by the gift her indomitable spirit brings to their lives. They need only feel her touch in their hearts...

It will be an especially meaningful tribute to dedicate the season to her as a memorial. She persisted on a courageous path, and indeed she has been ultimately rewarded. Relentless, indeed.

are they still selling the bracelets, or was it just for the team?

To add to that question: How can I get a "Relentless" bracelet? (I live in Placentia, Calif., and won't be able to visit Raleigh this year.) Would anybody be willing to work with me about getting one? I'll be sure to put my payment in the mail.

As for platelet donations: I'll ask the reps at my local Red Cross office about how to do so. Donating blood is easy -- I've never once had any iffy after-effects from doing so -- so I doubt there'd be an issue regarding platelet donation.

Jan/GSBG

To add to that question: How can I get a "Relentless" bracelet? (I live in Placentia, Calif., and won't be able to visit Raleigh this year.) Would anybody be willing to work with me about getting one? I'll be sure to put my payment in the mail.

Jan/GSBG

Visit the Leukemia and Lymphoma website in my sig ;)

quick link for bracelet: http://www6.cintasvip.com/uniformcatalog/product.asp?pc=68896%2ENAD&i=68896&p=LLS+RETAIL&s=4340' target="_blank">http://www6.cintasvip.com/uniformcatalog/p...TAIL&s=4340[/post]

I think a moment of silence opening night wouldn't be a horrible idea.

That's an excellent idea, cf06. Why not phone the Canes' front office to suggest it? (I realize that many people in the organization read our posts, but it'd be pretty difficult for folks to remember every post.)

Jan/GSBG

My thoughts go out to the Rowe family. Julia has, in her short lifetime, done more to inspire the world than I could ever do in mine. I just made a donation in her memory to the LLS of Canada. If someone in Raleigh would be kind enough to mail me a bracelet from the Friesen run, I would happily reimburse for all costs. PM me if you want to help out.

The link that is passed around now only lets you buy 10 bracelets at a time.......

Canes remember 'special young girl'

Lord Stanley's Blog

A day after the death of Julia Rowe, the Hurricanes still were coming to grips with the loss of a vibrant young girl whose fight against leukemia was such an inspiration in 2006 as the team swept to the Stanley Cup.

"It definitely hit home," goaltender Cam Ward said today. "She obviously was a special young girl and obviously a big part of our Stanley Cup run. We dedicated that run on her behalf and as time went on we were really close, as an entire team."

Forward Justin Williams and his wife are good friends of the Rowe family and Williams saw Julia just a few days before her death early Tuesday morning. Julia Rowe was 8 years old.

"She was as much a part of this team as anyone was," Williams said. "She was the bravest girl I've ever met."

The Rowe family provided the following statement on Wednesday:

“The Rowe family wishes to express our appreciation to our friends in the Hurricanes organization and the community at large during the Relentless campaign in 2006. At that time, Julia was the face of leukemia representing all children that fight the disease and a personality who motivated a community to work toward new treatments where few are available today. Julia’s untimely death is a reminder that, while many children fight leukemia, there are far too many that don’t win that fight.

“While we were happy to use Julia’s story to raise awareness during that time, now is a time for our family and friends to remember and celebrate Julia as much more than a child fighting leukemia. We ask that the media respect our privacy and the privacy of our family and friends – especially those in the Hurricanes organization. The ceremonies honoring Julia’s life this week are also private and we ask that the media respect that privacy too.

“Thank you again to everyone who supports our family and mourns with us.”

-The Rowe Family

Hurricanes president and general manager Jim Rutherford said, "Julia will be missed, but it is clear from the many letters, emails and phone calls we are already receiving at our offices that she will live on in the hearts of a whole lot of people, for a long time."

During the 2006 playoffs, Canes coach Pete Laviolette started a fund-raising campaign to raise awareness and money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The sale of wristbands and autographed bottles of Shafer Vineyards' Relentless wine, proceeds from the Friesen 5K Fun run and private donations raised more than $60,000 from April to September 2006.

I wonder how many have added the relentless bracelet as their avitar...would be a great show if more people did ( I think I count about 5 right now...)

It would be great to dedicate the season to her "unofficially" on the boards by using the Relentless bracelet as both a reminder of Julia and inspiration for this season.

Thought I'd pass along the sad news that Julia Rowe passed away early this morning. She was an amazingly strong little girl that made people smile.

She was truly "relentless" in her fight against her illness.

I wonder how many have added the relentless bracelet as their avitar...would be a great show if more people did ( I think I count about 5 right now...)

It would be great to dedicate the season to her "unofficially" on the boards by using the Relentless bracelet as both a reminder of Julia and inspiration for this season.

I agree completely, a little unity and support could go a long way. I wish there was more we could do, but its so hard to comprehend how the Rowe family is feeling. Keep up the support canes fans.

Make that six.

the bracelet is my new default pic right now on myspace page for julia.

We should bring the slogan Relentless back this season in honor of julia. She will always be in our hearts and a part of the team! God Bless her and her family

I've noticed quite a few Relentless Bracelets as pics...just curious how many we are up to...If you use it, can you chime in?

Mods: It's not my intent to keep posting this...just curious how high we get before the season kicks off..