The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chl

O'Neill Given Tryout

I totally agree that anything more than a 1 year 2 way deal would just be stupid for us. I really like the moves the Canes have made this year and I don't think or hope they would put themselves in a bad situation.

First, I appreciate what Jeff did as a Hurricane for us previously. Having said that I don't think we can afford to bring in another guy that is defensively challenged. Jeff is quite talented as a guy that could put the puck in the neck but I hardly think our team is needing that atm UNLESS Cullen is starting to look so doubtful that our 3rd and 4th line centers are to be Sutter and Bowman. I don't think anyone expects Drayson with all his talent to be utilized outside his 10 game trial before moving back down. If our staff thinks we may not need him or Cullen is ok then no biggie.

However, if it is looking more and more shakey with Matt then I would be ok with using Jeff in a pinch as an offensive 3rd line center. Brandon can handle the PK duties that Matt handled in a pinch.

My 2-cents.

First, I appreciate what Jeff did as a Hurricane for us previously. Having said that I don't think we can afford to bring in another guy that is defensively challenged. Jeff is quite talented as a guy that could put the puck in the neck but I hardly think our team is needing that atm UNLESS Cullen is starting to look so doubtful that our 3rd and 4th line centers are to be Sutter and Bowman. I don't think anyone expects Drayson with all his talent to be utilized outside his 10 game trial before moving back down. If our staff thinks we may not need him or Cullen is ok then no biggie.

However, if it is looking more and more shakey with Matt then I would be ok with using Jeff in a pinch as an offensive 3rd line center. Brandon can handle the PK duties that Matt handled in a pinch.

My 2-cents.

Jeff plays the wing...All i'll say is, he's gonna have to make a heck of an impression, cause from what i remember he was extremely slow, and an awful skater, if he can't improve on those he can't keep up with this offensive structure.

He is known for that:

Tanabe, Cullen, Babchuk, Staal

(that last one was just to see if you guys were paying attention )

Just shows JR's loyalty to the players he picks. I hope Jeff lands somewhere if not here.

Jeff plays the wing...All i'll say is, he's gonna have to make a heck of an impression, cause from what i remember he was extremely slow, and an awful skater, if he can't improve on those he can't keep up with this offensive structure.

He also plays center. Which if he's signed, it looks like he's the back up plan in case something does happen with Cullen.

If he's good enough, fine. If not, tell him thanks but no thanks. Doesn't matter what he's done in the past. Try him out and see if he has his head screwed on right. If he does, he might be pleasant surprise. Don't underestimate the ability to put the puck in the net, which he has proven he can do. Doesn't cost us anything to kick the tires.

I think we should sit back and see how he does first off before everyone tries to throw him out

Jeff O'Neill, is that you again?!? You know not to come on here and voice your opinion!

;) j/k with ya

Perhaps we are being near-sighted thinking about Jeff in terms of playing on this team. Could the Canes use a proven goal-scoring forward to shop around for that D-man we are missing? This is a win-win situation. If Jeff is the 2nd coming of Gordie Howe, hurray. If Jeff show 30 to 40 goal ability, yeah -- big time trade material. If Jeff doesn't make it, good for JR and the Canes for giving him the chance. No need to get our shorts in a wad. We can't lose here.

Perhaps we are being near-sighted thinking about Jeff in terms of playing on this team. Could the Canes use a proven goal-scoring forward to shop around for that D-man we are missing? This is a win-win situation. If Jeff is the 2nd coming of Gordie Howe, hurray. If Jeff show 30 to 40 goal ability, yeah -- big time trade material. If Jeff doesn't make it, good for JR and the Canes for giving him the chance. No need to get our shorts in a wad. We can't lose here.

The guy isn't wanted by anyone or he wouldnt be here on a tryout basis so I dont know how we would shop someone who could be had for prolly less then a mil right now. Also I dont think we need a d-man right now.

I don't see why anyone would be against this. He's getting a camp tryout. This is a no-lose situation for the Canes. Worst-case we don't offer him a contract. Best case, he still has it, and we have yet another forward that can put the puck in the net and can play a little center to boot.

I remember Jeffy "I want a cookie" O'Neil and he was a decent player back in the day but....I wouldn't be surprised if an offer is tendered because this organization has the tendency to bring back old washed up players....Why nostalgia? Oh yes I can't wait to see all of the Gatorade spilled on his jersey or who could forget all of the black face paint walking around the concourse...Our team our tradition=Don't make it with our team don't worry we'll bring you back after a couple of years.

Hey maybe they can bring back Bates Battaglia and then they can hang out at the Office together and Jeffy can get arrested for urinating in public

I remember Jeffy "I want a cookie" O'Neil and he was a decent player back in the day but....I wouldn't be surprised if an offer is tendered because this organization has the tendency to bring back old washed up players....Why nostalgia? Oh yes I can't wait to see all of the Gatorade spilled on his jersey or who could forget all of the black face paint walking around the concourse...Our team our tradition=Don't make it with our team don't worry we'll bring you back after a couple of years.

Hey maybe they can bring back Bates Battaglia and then they can hang out at the Office together and Jeffy can get arrested for urinating in public

Um? :unsure: ? :unsure: Okay? :unsure: ? :unsure:

So you don't want him back?

If you read the N&O blog from Luke, Bates IS skating with Brindy and the rest of 'em. Our old friend Boulerice is skating also...just saying... :lol: **sarcasm alert**

If you read the N&O blog from Luke, Bates IS skating with Brindy and the rest of 'em. Our old friend Boulerice is skating also...just saying... :lol: **sarcasm alert**

Bates was sporting his maple leafs practice jersey and socks though so im guessing he's still with them.

No issue with O'Neill trying out. If he makes a 2 way contract for $800K grand with the big boys good. If he shows he can play d=fense, show some grit, hustle and not just lazy up the ice and the oppening happens, good for him. I am sure he has appreciated what he does not have anymore---a roster spot. But he must earn it and guys like Sutter are going to working their way to a roster spot without 10 years of the good life behind him.

Don't see how one could be against this.

I was just thinking. You know you are a hockey city that if you need a forward to fill in due to too many guys injured, you just go down to the local pub and get the owner to fill in a roster spot for a few hundred thousand. "Hey Bates, we are hurting and need a guy to fill out the season, meet me at Solas on Glenwood South and lets hammer out a deal."

Another bad decision made by the 'Canes this summer. I really didn't think they could make worse choices before the season started than ditching Cole or bringing back Babchuk. Guess I was wrong.

Another bad decision made by the 'Canes this summer. I really didn't think they could make worse choices before the season started than ditching Cole or bringing back Babchuk. Guess I was wrong.

We didn't ditch Cole, we traded him for good defenseman that we desperately needed. Plus Cole will probly be a ***** to resign and Pitkanen signed for much less than I thought he would, so where does that make this a bad choice?

Do you know what a tryout means? How was this a bad decision. If he sucks, you cut him, no big deal. If he can still play, then you got yourself a good depth signing. People tend to forget that the guy did lead the team in goals (41) until Staal broke that record. Its not like the guy can't play. Yeah he went through a rough patch, but remember he lost his brother. I'm sure you think you deserve a second chance, so why doesn't he?

Never know he may suprise everybody or he may flop like most people believe but the canes are not taking a big risk so why not.

Do you know what a tryout means? How was this a bad decision. If he sucks, you cut him, no big deal. If he can still play, then you got yourself a good depth signing. People tend to forget that the guy did lead the team in goals (41) until Staal broke that record. Its not like the guy can't play. Yeah he went through a rough patch, but remember he lost his brother. I'm sure you think you deserve a second chance, so why doesn't he?

The issue is not about if he can play or not. It is about the chemistry and personality he brings to the team. Well before his brother died, he was an "imperious", "what can you do for me today" kind of personality. He was a slackard on the ice and he didn't give a damn about his team mates and the fans. I was fortunate to learn early in my life that a leopard never changes its spots.

So, why give someone a tryout that you know is not the kind of guy you want on your team?