The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chl

O'Neill Given Tryout

One thing about O'Neill's game when he played for us previously was his physical prescence. The guy could flat lay a hurting on you. If he can find his scoring touch again, he would definately fill a role that is somewhat lacking in the current Hurricanes lines structure. A gritty scorer who is not afraid of contact that can shoot bullets. He was a good face-off guy and he is tough and mean on the forecheck. If I was a defenseman handling the puck in my own zone and I knew O'Neill was coming, I would be looking to get rid of it in a hurry.

If he can turn it around, he will be a nice RW/C that could anchor the 4th line and in time possibly grow back into the potential scoring line threat he seemed destined for at one time. Definately worth the flier...

One thing about O'Neill's game when he played for us previously was his physical prescence. The guy could flat lay a hurting on you. If he can find his scoring touch again, he would definately fill a role that is somewhat lacking in the current Hurricanes lines structure. A gritty scorer who is not afraid of contact that can shoot bullets. He was a good face-off guy and he is tough and mean on the forecheck. If I was a defenseman handling the puck in my own zone and I knew O'Neill was coming, I would be looking to get rid of it in a hurry.

If he can turn it around, he will be a nice RW/C that could anchor the 4th line and in time possibly grow back into the potential scoring line threat he seemed destined for at one time. Definately worth the flier...

Barring a trade it would seem that this is the only way that O'Neal makes the team with a one way contract: 4th line. One would think that he would be willing to do that since it's that or nothing. Our 4th line could play out a couple of different ways, but ONeil/Sutter/LaRose would be interesting. Of course this leaves no room for Bayda, once again. Also, despite his ability to hit, I thought the knock on O'Neil was lack of defensive play. Can't have that on the 4th line.

Kind of like the bottom 3 on defense, the 4th line is where most of the training camp intrigue will be. If Sutter is not ready (certainly the Canes are indicating that he will be), then we could have Bayda/ONeil/LaRose.

Of course both of those combos leaves out Brookbank. Does he make the 4th line? If so, who's out?

If ONeil impresses this does open up a possible trade. I still maintain that we do not have a clear #4 defenseman. If we could move a forward, plus Kabs and even one other bottom tier defenseman, maybe we could pick up that proven, solid middle of the road NHL shut down type guy on defense (if he's out there).

The thing is, what forward do you trade? I can think of very good reasons not to trade each one of our top 9 forwards, and we wouldn't get anything for Bayda or Brookbank.

It will all come down to training camp and preseason. How good is ONeal? How good is Sutter in NHL games? How good are Kabs/Seids/Wallin/Melichar/Babchuk? How healthy is Cullen and to some extent Williams and Brind'Amour? Do we need to keep our enforcer?

If everybody's healthy and there are no trades, the top 9 are set. However, there are too many bodies for the 4th line and too many bodies for the defense. Bring on the competition!

Does anyone else think O'Neil can break the top 2 lines? It's not like the players us fans think of as our top 2 lines are set in stone or something. With trading Cole they've proven that, with the exception of a few, no position is safe.

I can't wait for camp...it shold be interesting and competative if nothing else.

Does anyone else think O'Neil can break the top 2 lines? It's not like the players us fans think of as our top 2 lines are set in stone or something. With trading Cole they've proven that, with the exception of a few, no position is safe.

I can't wait for camp...it shold be interesting and competative if nothing else.

I do. ;)

I think with the total makeover this team is in the process of, anything is possible. Camp should be very exciting indeed. For the first time since the SC winning season, every position will have to be fought for, from the 4th line...all the way up to coaching.

Agreed. Every position is up for grabs this year. I don't think Laviolette will put up with anything short of 100% effort every night this year. The players who want it more will get the ice time and if O'Neil comes in and works his tail off, I can see him taking Cole's spot on Staal's wing.

So, has O'Neil been offered a contract or anything? Or is it a lets wait and see thing?

Wait and see thing. Just an invite to training camp.

[Agreed. Every position is up for grabs this year. I don't think Laviolette will put up with anything short of 100% effort every night this year. The players who want it more will get the ice time and if O'Neil comes in and works his tail off, I can see him taking Cole's spot on Staal's wing.]

Ditto. This year I think the expectation is "Nothing Less Than EVERYTHING". Summer 2009 = Travels With Lord Stanley!

Agreed. Every position is up for grabs this year. I don't think Laviolette will put up with anything short of 100% effort every night this year. The players who want it more will get the ice time and if O'Neil comes in and works his tail off, I can see him taking Cole's spot on Staal's wing.

Ohhh, how cool would that be?! Great player, and natural goal-scorer from our past, on the same line as another great player, and natural goal-scorer that is our future.... getting chills just thinking about it!! :D

JR on 850 talking about O'Neil, Tanabe, Sutter, and others:

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4894''>http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4894' target="_blank">http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4894[/post]

Very telling indeed. JR doesnt seem sold on O'Neil sold by any means and he makes it very clear that he would be a depth signing for insurance with no set line placement if he makes the team, although it was clear the center positon as insurance was what was being targeted. That's good, I want to see a dog fight for positions at camp.

Prett good interview with some tough questions. Nice little dig on JJ slipped in there by JR.

Very telling indeed. JR doesnt seem sold on O'Neil sold by any means and he makes it very clear that he would be a depth signing for insurance with no set line placement if he makes the team, although it was clear the center positon as insurance was what was being targeted. That's good, I want to see a dog fight for positions at camp.

Prett good interview with some tough questions. Nice little dig on JJ slipped in there by JR.

Thanks for the update. Good interview.

Don't have time to listen right now, but is JJ the 1st round draft pick never to mentioned?

Don't have time to listen right now, but is JJ the 1st round draft pick never to mentioned?

Yes. Gold said something to JR about Zach Boychuk (I believe) heading to college and if that could get fans thinking Jack Johnson again. JRs response was along the lines of No b/c Jack already played a year in college and was offered to be a part of a winning team and if he took their offer he would have his name on the cup (ouch). He continued to say that when Jack turned their offer down then he knew that something was up with him. Zach on the other hand is not getting a contract to be a Cane, he's getting an entry level contract to join training camp with the notion that he's far from making the team, so its either college or juniors for him. He feels, for his development college is the best option for him. So in otherwords, he does not consider Zach another JJ.

Yes. Gold said something to JR about Zach Boychuk (I believe) heading to college and if that could get fans thinking Jack Johnson again. JRs response was along the lines of No b/c Jack already played a year in college and was offered to be a part of a winning team and if he took their offer he would have his name on the cup (ouch). He continued to say that when Jack turned their offer down then he knew that something was up with him. Zach on the other hand is not getting a contract to be a Cane, he's getting an entry level contract to join training camp with the notion that he's far from making the team, so its either college or juniors for him. He feels, for his development college is the best option for him. So in otherwords, he does not consider Zach another JJ.

Zach Dalpe. ;)

Wait and see thing. Just an invite to training camp.

They actually offered both O'Neill and Jeff Taffe two-way deals. Taffe re-signed with the penguins and O'Neill wants a one-way deal so now they're making him prove he's worth it.

Zach Dalpe. ;)

Zac Dalpe ;)

JR on 850 talking about O'Neil, Tanabe, Sutter, and others:

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4894''>http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4894' target="_blank">http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4894[/post]

Very interesting interview. Good questions.

Definitely sounds like JR is sold on O'Neil still having the skills and definitely not sold on O'Neil being able to bring it in the mental/work ethic department during a long season. It was interesting that JR did not think O'Neil would work on the 4th line. If he makes the team it will be on the top 3 lines. If that happens someone is either injured or traded to make room. Along those lines he kind of sidestepped the health of Cullen question, making it look like O'Neal may be insurance if Matt shows signs of problems in camp.

Also, sounded like there still could be another trade before the season starts. At the least the much discussed *cough Kaberle cough* salary dump.

so hes been here for 3 days....i wonder if he has a target number of days in his mind before he'll be given a decision or anything like that. I really hope he does well and is able to come back to the canes.

so hes been here for 3 days....i wonder if he has a target number of days in his mind before he'll be given a decision or anything like that. I really hope he does well and is able to come back to the canes.

the decision on him will not be made until after training camp and a few pre-season games. Brindy "Camp" is unofficial and voluntary, training camp doesn't start for two weeks. Technically Jeff doesn't have to show up until the first day of camp which is the 19th of September I think. By being here now he is showing the guys (and management) that he is serious about a return. In days of old he would show up the first day of the official training camp overweight, slow, and sloppy.

the decision on him will not be made until after training camp and a few pre-season games. Brindy "Camp" is unofficial and voluntary, training camp doesn't start for two weeks. Technically Jeff doesn't have to show up until the first day of camp which is the 19th of September I think. By being here now he is showing the guys (and management) that he is serious about a return. In days of old he would show up the first day of the official training camp overweight, slow, and sloppy.

Amazing what a family (with one on the way) will do to motivate you! :)

oh nice thanks for the info.

Now even though he will be in camp with the Hurricanes...will that stop another team from making him an offer even though he is not trying out for that team? I can not think of any reason why they can't if he is here on his own basically. Though by hearing him talk I do not think he would do that to JR or Ron.