The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chl

O'Neill Given Tryout

O'Neill should be given a contract. I mean $800,000 for Larose,,,,,O'Neill is a much much better player he is good for 10 goals just for showing up. He could skate on the fourth line all day long.

What happened with that anyhow??

We traded for his rights when he was an impending ufa. It just gave us a few extra days to negotiate with him before he hit the free agency market and everyone could talk to him. Evidently he had some destinations in mind and Raleigh wasn't one of them so he didn't bother to listen to what our management had to say. This has happened before with more high-profile players so it's not a big deal. Especially since we get a 5th in return from Nashville from 2010 since he didn't sign.

O'Neill should be given a contract. I mean $800,000 for Larose,,,,,O'Neill is a much much better player he is good for 10 goals just for showing up. He could skate on the fourth line all day long.

Since when do we have the luxary of placing a non-defense playing forward on our 4th line?

O'Neil has talent as an offensive player still most likely. Unfortunately, we dont have room for him on our top 3 lines, and I see no point in placing him on a checking line as a player that often forgets to or, chooses not to play defense.

IF we think Matt Cullen is possibly going to miss parts of more than 10 games early due to lingering effects of his concussion, that is a totally different matter. I see no reason to burn Bowmans eligibility by playing him more than 10. Under 10, I'd rather see him get a chance than Jeff because of his youth.

My 2-cents.

All I know is that the team felt better with Brookbank in the line up. They felt like they could concentrate on the game on hand, not who might be coming after them to take a cheapshot. Brookbank might not be the best figher, in fact, he sucks, but he made the team felt more comfortable. And if the team needs to feel comfortable in order to win games, then by all means, dress the dude and let him play his 30 seconds of ice time. And even though he isn't the best fighter, it still took Minnesota to take him out of the game before taking cheapshots. So in essence he did his job b/c Minny wouldn't play dirty until Brookbank was taking out. He may suck fighting, but he still kept opponents from taking those cheap shots. So with that, give the dude his 30 seconds of ice time and that's all I got to say about that.

You honestly believe that? That Minnesota waited and planned to take Brookbank out, and THEN decided to lay cheapshots? Really? It's a big conspiracy, right? Conboy played in that game as well. In fact, he fought (and won) in the first period. If anything, they would have attempted to take Conboy out, if that was indeed their intent.

Brookbank got injured after colliding with another player, in a similar fashion to Brindamour or Williams. Clearly, Pittsburgh and Florida were out to injure them so they could lay cheapshots as well, right?

The supposed "decrease" in cheapshots since the aquisition of Brookbank could be explained in many ways. Well, first of all, there wasn't a decrease in cheapshots. There were still many boarding penalties and the like after putting him in the lineup. That didn't suddenly stop. Second of all, if there was indeed a decrease, it could be the teams we were playing combined with the league's strict enforcement of such.

After aquiring Brookbank, every team we faced was either:

A. In the fight for a playoff spot

B. Too far below a playoff spot to worry about anything

C. In one of the above, but still laid cheapshots, regardless of Brookbank.

Those fighting for a playoff spot couldn't afford to lose any player to suspension for laying out these cheap shots. Those out of the spot didn't see much point to it. Thus, a decrease in cheapshots, regardless of Brooks involvement. It's a miracle.

You honestly believe that? That Minnesota waited and planned to take Brookbank out, and THEN decided to lay cheapshots? Really? It's a big conspiracy, right? Conboy played in that game as well. In fact, he fought (and won) in the first period. If anything, they would have attempted to take Conboy out, if that was indeed their intent.

Brookbank got injured after colliding with another player, in a similar fashion to Brindamour or Williams. Clearly, Pittsburgh and Florida were out to injure them so they could lay cheapshots as well, right?

The supposed "decrease" in cheapshots since the aquisition of Brookbank could be explained in many ways. Well, first of all, there wasn't a decrease in cheapshots. There were still many boarding penalties and the like after putting him in the lineup. That didn't suddenly stop. Second of all, if there was indeed a decrease, it could be the teams we were playing combined with the league's strict enforcement of such.

After aquiring Brookbank, every team we faced was either:

A. In the fight for a playoff spot

B. Too far below a playoff spot to worry about anything

C. In one of the above, but still laid cheapshots, regardless of Brookbank.

Those fighting for a playoff spot couldn't afford to lose any player to suspension for laying out these cheap shots. Those out of the spot didn't see much point to it. Thus, a decrease in cheapshots, regardless of Brooks involvement. It's a miracle.

Well JR has stated in several interviews he thinks the team plays better with Brookbank. They feel more comfortable on the ice. Thats why he is here. Thats why this team will most likely have an enforcer when the season starts. Whos going to fight the big names out west this season when it inevitably has to be done? They will be gunning for Brooksy and vice versa. Walker doesn't have to worry about it, nor Gleason. I think it was a great idea to sign the guy....

Well JR has stated in several interviews he thinks the team plays better with Brookbank. They feel more comfortable on the ice. Thats why he is here. Thats why this team will most likely have an enforcer when the season starts. Whos going to fight the big names out west this season when it inevitably has to be done? They will be gunning for Brooksy and vice versa. Walker doesn't have to worry about it, nor Gleason. I think it was a great idea to sign the guy....

Thats what the team also said. Plenty of guys were quoted saying that they felt more comfortable with Brookbank in the line up. Whether or not the guy could win every fight didnt really matter, what mattered was that someone other than our skilled players was able to step up an offer some protection. Too bad they didnt bring him up a little earlier cuz then we wouldnt be sitting here worrying if Cullen can play or not right now.

The decrease in cheap shots was because of having an enforcer type in the line up, that is NHL fact per JR and the players. This team got slapped around and cheap shotted for 1 1/2 seasons because most of the players here have been either skilled or small energy type players. The team had to get bigger and tougher to survive since the post lock out rules werent being enforced as they were the season the Canes won the Cup.

If he has a good camp, he probably gets a very reasonable contract offer. Then either J.R. trades a more expensive guy away quickly for a salary savings, or he waits until injuries set in for other teams or the trade deadline and trades somebody for picks/prospects. It would be a typical J.R. signing, picking up a player that has been kicked to the curb for pennies on the dollar. That is how our "small market" team has remained competitive.

Luke did a write up on O'Neil in today's paper. The way I read this is that unless there's an injury to our Top 9 during camp, there isn't a spot for O'Neil. To me its JR doing a favor to a long time friend to help him get back in the game by inviting him to camp and getting other teams to take a look at him.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1207291.html

Luke did a write up on O'Neil in today's paper. The way I read this is that unless there's an injury to our Top 9 during camp, there isn't a spot for O'Neil. To me its JR doing a favor to a long time friend to help him get back in the game by inviting him to camp and getting other teams to take a look at him.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1207291.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1207291.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1207291.html[/post]

Yes, most of what JR, O'Neal, and Luke seem to be saying is "Hold on, this is a long shot, but you never know." (Not those exact words). Several, including JR have said that playing O'Neil on the 4th line does not make sense. That means he must crack the top 9. He is not going to be able to play his way onto our top 9 straight up. There would have to be an injury or a trade. But who would you trade of our top 9?

The article points out that O'Neil's production dropped way off after his shoulder injury (sounds like someone else we know), so his comeback upside would probably be a 20 goal scorer, not his most glorious past. Now there are a LOT of teams that could use a guy with a 20 goal upside on their third or even second line, but not us. We already have 9 guys with that potential and not the downside. One has to wonder how bad it is that O'Neil has to try out for the team with the line up he is least likely to crack.

By far the most likely thing is that for us O'Neil represents a cheap insurance policy on the health of our current top 9. With Cullen's health still a little question mark, and the nature of this sport, that is distinct possibility.

That said, the most interesting speculation would be if he just impressed the daylights out of everyone, scored 10 goals in preseason, looked like his 40 goal old self, and our top 9 stayed healthy, creating the possiblility to trade one of our forwards for another top notch defenseman. I still think we could use one. Interesting speculation, but a true long shot.

The only way he makes it on this team is a two way contract, start in Albany and see what happens. In Albany he is easily on the first or second line.

Yes, most of what JR, O'Neal, and Luke seem to be saying is "Hold on, this is a long shot, but you never know." (Not those exact words). Several, including JR have said that playing O'Neil on the 4th line does not make sense. That means he must crack the top 9. He is not going to be able to play his way onto our top 9 straight up. There would have to be an injury or a trade. But who would you trade of our top 9?

The article points out that O'Neil's production dropped way off after his shoulder injury (sounds like someone else we know), so his comeback upside would probably be a 20 goal scorer, not his most glorious past. Now there are a LOT of teams that could use a guy with a 20 goal upside on their third or even second line, but not us. We already have 9 guys with that potential and not the downside. One has to wonder how bad it is that O'Neil has to try out for the team with the line up he is least likely to crack.

By far the most likely thing is that for us O'Neil represents a cheap insurance policy on the health of our current top 9. With Cullen's health still a little question mark, and the nature of this sport, that is distinct possibility.

That said, the most interesting speculation would be if he just impressed the daylights out of everyone, scored 10 goals in preseason, looked like his 40 goal old self, and our top 9 stayed healthy, creating the possiblility to trade one of our forwards for another top notch defenseman. I still think we could use one. Interesting speculation, but a true long shot.

Could we not maybe move Walker to the 4th line?? With him there, what a heck of a 4th line THAT would be! Then we could have scoring punch, and physical punch as well.

Just spit-ballin here, so don't anyone beat me up for saying that! ;)

The only way he makes it on this team is a two way contract, start in Albany and see what happens. In Albany he is easily on the first or second line.

ever heard of waivers?

ever heard of waivers?

yep, but if he signs a two way contract that stipulates he starts in Albany then he is their property until we call him up. Waivers come into play if after being in Raleigh he has to be sent back down.

Could we not maybe move Walker to the 4th line?? With him there, what a heck of a 4th line THAT would be! Then we could have scoring punch, and physical punch as well.

Just spit-ballin here, so don't anyone beat me up for saying that! ;)

I don't think anyone here will beat you up, but you might have to worry about Scottie beating you up ;)

I don't think anyone here will beat you up, but you might have to worry about Scottie beating you up ;)

I don't know..some on here get pretty heated when you start talking about doing something with Walker.

*turns on Sarcasm*

I mean who cares if O'Neill comes in like gang busters and shows the ability to still score 30 plus goals? He hasn't earned it! He URINATED in public...got drunk and wrecked his car! Send him out with the trash!

*turns off Sarcasm*

Assuming JR's comments were not take out of text. He will have to as John Grahame put it, have an "all world performance" this preseason.

yep, but if he signs a two way contract that stipulates he starts in Albany then he is their property until we call him up. Waivers come into play if after being in Raleigh he has to be sent back down.

Not sure that's necessary holds true http://nhlscap.com/waivers.htm''>http://nhlscap.com/waivers.htm' target="_blank">http://nhlscap.com/waivers.htm[/post]

i am also not sure if i understand the rules completely, but here is the quote. If someone wants to translate to spoken english.

to this CBA is the provision that certain players recalled to the NHL must clear waivers to join the team holding his NHL rights; any other team may claim said player for 50% of his cap hit and salary, with the team attempting to recall taking the other 50% of each. In general, players are not subject to re-entry [recall] waivers unless:

The player is on a -way contract and is subject to waivers when assigned to the minors; or

The player is on a 2-way contract whose minor league salary is in excess of

2007-08: $100,000

2008-09: $100,000

2009-10: $105,000

2010-11: $105,000

2011-12: $105,000

#2 above does not apply to a player who

If a goalie, the goalie has played in 180 or more professional games [NHL, AHL, or ECHL; regular season and playoffs] or, if a skater, 320 or more professional games; AND

Has not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the prior 2 seasons or 40 or more games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

In other words if O'Neil signs a two-way deal that pays no more than $100,000 per year at the minor league level, he doesn't have to clear waivers. That is unless there are some other clauses that weren't posted above.

Went to an RBC Center event tonight and Associate Head Coach Mcarthy said O'neill will be fighting for a spot as center. He also said they want him in Albany ideally. The fact that they want him as center though does reinforce the fact that they may be concerned about Cullen.