The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Red/White Scrimmage

Babchuk is hurt. He played a few shifts in the first and got checked hard. It looked at first like he was holding his arm then he got to the bench and held his face in his hands. At that point it looked like he might have broken his nose. Either way, he didnt come back for the rest of the game. NOT GOOD.

Babs went hard into the boards in the first got up slow and kept flexing his right knee and rubbing it then got hit in the face later in the first. Did not return for the second or third periods. We'll see what's up tomorrow for practice.

What did you guys think of Jeff O'Neil? I was watching the game on the hurricanes website and thought he scored a nice goal in the third period to make it 5-2. Also I was very impressed with LaCouture, scoring two goals and a assist. I was amazed with all the penalty shots in the 2nd period never seen so many in one period either lol. Anyways what did you all think of the game and those who went live to see it?

What did you guys think of Jeff O'Neil? I was watching the game on the hurricanes website and thought he scored a nice goal in the third period to make it 5-2. Also I was very impressed with LaCouture, scoring two goals and a assist. I was amazed with all the penalty shots in the 2nd period never seen so many in one period either lol. Anyways what did you all think of the game and those who went live to see it?

I thought O'Neil started out slow but got much stronger as the game went on. He made some nice passes and showed e can still see the ice very well. He was a little slow at times but he was never really a speedster even in his best years.

Any penalty commited resulted in a penalty shot instead of a PP. Plus, the violater had to do on ice push ups in front of the bench. Joe Jensen drew some penalties and scored one of the PS's.

I though O'Neill handled himself very well.. it was obvious he couldnt skate as fast as the 18 yr olds, but he has experience and hockey smarts and positioned himself in a place that he knew the puck was going to be and make a play. He dug deep in the corners and threw out several passes out to the point that could have been goals (off the crossbar, goalie made tough save etc). I missed his goal in the 3rd, since I left a little early but thats good to see.

LaCouture is fantastic, and as Francis said in the first period, his 1g 1a first period certainly helped his case, and then followed it up in the second with another goal. I don't know if he could keep up that intensity but he played like a man possessed this afternoon.

I thought the defense pairing of Bayda and Siedenburg looked really good.. they worked well together and were two of the more experienced players in the line up. All in all I was very impressed with what I saw from the familar names, guys like Jensen, Conboy, Bayda, Brookbank, Borer, guys who had spent at least a few games up with us last year. Justin Peters did really well in goal, Leggio and Murphy did fairly well also.

All in all I would say I am very happy to see what Carolina has coming up in the pipeline.. we have guys who can step up in case of injuries and also a lot of guys who will be stepping up to the big club after 3 or 4 years in albany.

Great game.. can't wait for the start of the season! Go Canes!

I thought the defense pairing of Bayda and Siedenburg looked really good..

Bayda playing defence? :unsure: That's news to me. :rolleyes:

EDIT: One more question. Who's mysterious Siedenburg?

Holy *edit* I had no idea we had Dan LaCouture on the team lol. Use to watch him with the Rangers. He's a tough guy.

Is he a tough guy, or a tough-guy? I mean is he an enforcer?

I am glad to hear LaCouture had a decent game today. He played for Lowell here in the AHL and I like him. Hopefully he gets signed.

I'm pretty sure I saw him behind the red goal defending late in the third period... so I think he is ok.

Ohh! I assumed he was using #48... but that was Ryan McGinnis. Babs' number is 33, now. Ok, I started watching about half way through the second period, so I missed half of the game.

Bayda playing defence? :unsure: That's news to me. :rolleyes:

EDIT: One more question. Who's mysterious Siedenburg?

I think he meant Conboy, who played with Seidenberg.

There's no spelling police here, at least I havent seen that member for a while now ;)

Just curious was there any fights in the game? And if so who?

Nope, no fights, lots of hits though.

I sat in the first row and it was really awesome seeing the players up close. A lot of hits right there in your face, it was fun.

Nope, no fights, lots of hits though.

I sat in the first row and it was really awesome seeing the players up close. A lot of hits right there in your face, it was fun.

It is sitting that close. That is where my seats are at here in Albany. Front row right behind the visiting teams net.

Just curious was there any fights in the game? And if so who?

Trevor Gilles was racing around stirring things up but no fighting. He's a man possessed out there. He'd be great if he could just do something with puck too. He's fun to watch though.

My thoughts

Good things

- Dan LaCoutoure was clearly the best player on the ice and if he doesn't make the team, hopefully we can sign him to a deal and get him in Albany as a first call up.

- I was mainly concerned with O'Neil being out of shape, but that didn't look to be the case.

- Justin Peters looked good as the solid number 3 in the system

- Seidenberg played a great hockey game.

Ok things

- Brandon Sutter didn't impress me like I thought he should. For a guy who is on paper as our fourth center, he didn't do much of anything. However, he never made any noticeable mistakes.

- Brookbank and Conboy looked good on defense, but they have no shot of making this team at defense. I would have liked to have seen them more at forward.

- The overall presentation by the Canes was good - made it a fun day.

Bad things

- Patrick Eaves. This is potentially a top 6 guy and a PP guy for us and he did nothing against 4th liners and AHL guys. I remember a few years ago watching Craig Adams dominate this scrimmage (as anyone who is in the NHL should do against AHL guys). How does Eaves not do this? Did he just not care? He was hands down the biggest disappointment and it wasn't even close.

- Malichar didn't really impress me either. Same thing as above with Eaves, basically.

Overall, not a bad day. I'd say the absolute was thing about the day was that Justin Peters was the biggest name at the autograph session and why in the world did I get a parking pass with season parking pass for a game that had free parking?

Is he a tough guy, or a tough-guy? I mean is he an enforcer?

Hmmm, good Q! LaCouture has been an enforcer before in the league, but now I know that he's got to be up there in age so I'm not really sure if he could fit the enforcer role again.

In fact, after reviewing recent fights by LaCouture, I know that he cannot fit the enforcer role anymore. But hey, he's still a tough, veteran presence.

Of all the players out on the ice, LaCouture was clearly the one that really wanted to impress the coaches, and he did just that. Like some others have said, I also expected Eaves to really step up, but that wasn't the case at all. During an interview with Tripp, Eaves said that he was glad to be back at 100%. He clearly wasn't giving 100% out on the ice.

I was really relieved to see the Hurricanes won!

I thought O'Neill had a few nices moves walking in on goal. He undressed someone right in front of the net.

The Goalie Murphy(the dude with the yellow pads as people around me called him) did a pretty good job. I'd have to put his performance just behind Peters as far a goalies go.

Other than LaCouture...everyone seemed a little hesitant to really open things up and leave everything on the ice.