The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
4everaCaniac

Justin Williams Out for 6 months!

Brindy yesterday....Williams today....

Look on the bright side, so far we're only losing one player a day! :blink:

Maybe the guys should take a day of rest and just sleep in tomorrow! :unsure:

I say its time to get Cole back in NC!!!! ;)

Come on guys i say we all try and get him and commie back!!! I am sure if the right people talked and got the right $$$ we could get them. You never know! As long as you have a good name and money! lol

Why does this keep happening to us at this time of the year omg this is getting really stupid. Brindy is only suppose to be out for the first week right? But why is Williams out for this long omg this will hurt us I hope we can make it threw.

Anyone else feel a big trade coming?

Giving this a little bit of thought. I don't think JR brings in a top forward at this point. He has more of a history of giving a bunch of guys a chance to step up. If he brings in a 20 goal scorer, then (God willing) we get Williams back in Jan/Feb, we have too many top forwards again. Now if Cullen or Brind'Amour are not good to go, maybe. But with last year's Walker and the Rats forming a pretty decent 3rd line, I see us looking for our current guys to step up, and maybe have a cycling 3rd line again. Probably will sign O'Neal if he shows anything.

Williams was a 20-30 goals in the bank when healthy (as was Cole). So we will need at least two of the following to step up and be on a 20 goal pace until Williams is back:

Bayda

Ruutu

Eaves

LaRose

(O'Neal?)

This obviously sucks right now, but as stated above, we could get Williams back around Jan/Feb. What better way to give a boost to the team than to have a completely healthy top line player, eager to get on the ice and play?

All the rest of the team has to do is make sure we're not gasping for air before Jan/Feb comes around. Of course, being top of the league couldn't hurt either ;)

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382237' target="_blank">http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=382237[/post]

Unbelievable. Some humans have the worst possible luck. Forget about us the fans and our desires for the team, let's think about J. Williams here for a moment and try to imagine what's running through his head. The guy works his *edit* off to recover from a knee injury and be healthy for the upcoming season, and then BOOM another tendon ruptures and he's gone for at least half the year. I'm not sure how he could have ANY motivation right now to continue with this *edit*. Really, it's a *edit* joke. Where does Fate come off on this thinking that it's ok to do this to Justin Williams??? *edit*, Fate.

Get better quick, J. Will. We need you.

Whatever. Luck has nothing to do with it. It sounds to me like he didn't participate in off-season conditioning. Otherwise, how the h*** do you tear your Achilles tendon in a training session. Do you really think they're working them that hard already? I think not. Throw in the towel boys. It's gonna be a looooong season.

I agree with Remkin, I don't see JR going out and making a trade for a top 6 forward. I think he's going to allow someone else to step up. They are expecting a big year from Eaves, so my guess is he gets moved up into Williams' spot. Unless Sutter's conditioning is horrible, he made the team.

At first I was thinking O'Neill is guaranteed a spot, but the more I think about it, he needs to work for it. If he shows the Jeff from 01, give him a one year deal, if he shows the Jeff of 04, he won't be of any help to us.

I know some are thinking no LaRose on the 3rd, but he is getting paid 3rd line money. If O'Neill doesn't show he's got it, I say move LaRose up to the 3rd and start Murley out with the big club on the 4th.

If things are not going well and the offense is just struggling, then JR will need to make a move. At this point, I'd say run with what you got. We do have good forward depth, we proved that last year, I don't see this year being any different in that dept.

Its a huge blow and absolutely sucks, but its not the end all to be all.

Let's just all pray and keep our fingers crossed that this is it. Let us get the injuries out of the way now so we know what we have come opening night. Hopefully he'll be ready to go after the all-star break and help with the second half push.

Man way to ruin my day :(

O'neal looks to have a clear shot at the open position, but if he tanks can anybody else see Drayson Bowman getting called up? I think JR said it would take one heck of a camp to get him into a healthy lineup but with Williams gone there is another vacancy and if O'neal doesnt help out I could see Bowman getting called up. They could also bring up someone else from Albany like maybe Samson or someone because we will probably be needing more goals.

And I guess 6 months would put him coming back around March 17th, so he is pretty much missing the entire season :( :(

This stinks but I feel that someone like Ruutu or Eaves

can step up and fill the bill.

Remember even with the injuries last year the defensive liability

was always the big problem on this team. Hopefully that

will be corrected and the Canes can have a good year.

Why does this keep happening to us at this time of the year omg this is getting really stupid. Brindy is only suppose to be out for the first week right? But why is Williams out for this long omg this will hurt us I hope we can make it threw.

An achillies tendon rupture, if it's a full tear and it sounds like it is, is a "female dog" to rehab. It takes a long time.

This obviously sucks right now, but as stated above, we could get Williams back around Jan/Feb. What better way to give a boost to the team than to have a completely healthy top line player, eager to get on the ice and play?

You mean like last year??? Came back and played one shift, then had back spasms and didn't finish the season.

I haven't read anything yet that states if he tore the right or left achillies. I'd bet that it's the same side as the 2 knee surgeries. Same sided injuries are very prevalent. One thing I do know, it is extremely RARE for an achillies tendon to just RIP, without warning. I'd bet my Lehman stock that it's the same leg AND there was irritation and inflammation to his heel cord.

this sucks, really no other way to put it. we lose a 30/30 guy for most of the season...

that being said, the sky has not fallen. we played our best hockey of last year without brindy and williams. for this season to be successful, i think eaves will be the guy to step in to williams' spot on the 2nd line. hopefully he can handle the load without getting injured. also, this pretty much confirms oneill will be one a 1way deal by the end of camp. jr also probably trades kaberle for another forward or signs a left over free agent on the cheap...training camp will most definitely be interesting...

Whatever. Luck has nothing to do with it. It sounds to me like he didn't participate in off-season conditioning. Otherwise, how the h*** do you tear your Achilles tendon in a training session. Do you really think they're working them that hard already? I think not. Throw in the towel boys. It's gonna be a looooong season.

Please explain to me how an achilles tear has any thing to do with off season conditioning?

I'm damn sure Justin has been rehabbing/conditioning since Dec. - probably at a level that would put most of us into a coma.

Won't see me throwing in the towel - just the opposite - remember its a TEAM game.

Another question - how many of the Canes/Rats threw in the towel after Justin went down last season?

Wow.....in the last hour I've found out that Williams is done till sometime early next year, Tim Wakefield pretty much just guaranteed the Sox the wild card and the new James Bond song is not only the worst Bond Song I've ever heard, but the flat out worst song I've ever heard. I'm just gonna call it quits on today, go to bed and hope tomorrow is better. :(

Here is an artical from one of our local papers from Phil Janack who writes alot about the Rats and Canes. And he threw a few names in on who he thinks make get longer looks now the Willams went down.

http://dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack/200...ugh-blow-canes/

Three days before training camp opens for its first formal on-ice sessions, the Carolina Hurricanes took a significant hit.

Veteran right wing Justin Williams suffered a torn right Achilles tendon today and will have surgery later this week. The early prognosis is that he will miss anywhere from four to six months.

The loss means Carolina will be without one of its emotional leaders as well as a two-time 30-goal scorer. Williams had 20 points, limited by injury to 37 games last season.

It also means that an unexpected roster spot will be up for grabs at camp. Rookies Brandon Sutter and Drayson Bowman are expected to get long looks; because of their age, they either make the NHL team or go back to juniors. Players such as Pat Dwyer, Jakub Petruzalek and Troy's Matt Murley may also benefit.

I say when Willies healthy JR makes a trade and hopefully get someone good for him,the injuries arent gonna stop for the guy and if we can take advantage with a good player for him I say we do it....

I say when Willies healthy JR makes a trade and hopefully get someone good for him,the injuries arent gonna stop for the guy and if we can take advantage with a good player for him I say we do it....

williams for pitkanen doesn't sound bad......oh *edit*

williams for pitkanen doesn't sound bad......oh *edit*

Of course. In the press conference after the trade when Rutherford is asked why he traded the younger and more-productive player that is signed to a longer contract at a cheaper price instead of Cole, Rutherford could have responded with "I sense that Williams will be injured soon." That would've went over well.

This is a shame that Williams is out again. He is a vital part of the Canes O. Now he is possibly looking at coming back in March...when the season is about done...that is if everything goes well with his recovery/rehab. I wish him the best!

Maybe this will give the Sutter kid an opportunity to showcase himself at the NHL level! (this is in no way disrespect to Williams)