The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
4everaCaniac

Justin Williams Out for 6 months!

I don't want to throw him under the bus quite yet, but does anyone think Williams might just call it quits? He's only played 8 seasons, but he missed most of 02-03 with knee and shoulder issues, and now most of 07-08 with the knee. When he's on he's on though, he played 82 games in 05-06 and 82 games in 06-07. He's young to retire, but I imagine that an achilles injury is very hard to come back from.

I think JR should at least make a phone call to Teemu, but I am sure hes going to just retire.

Mark Parrish hardly fills the hole left by Williams..

Teemu is a bit expensive but do we wanna miss playoffs again? Again he's prolly retiring or wants to stay in Anaheim if he doesnt.

So, how many of you think that we'll sign a free agent forward to help fill Williams' spot?

A lot of people have mentioned Mark Parrish as a possibility. Does anyone (besides me) like the idea of trying to get Martin Gelinas to sign here? You could move one of our other top 9 forwards up to play with Brind'Amour and pop Gelinas in on the 3rd line. He has the PK and overall defensive ability to help replace what Justin brings. I'm less worried about replacing his offense than his defense.

Can't say for sure but given JR's history and how well the team did last yr. after William's knee - I don't think he will pick anybody up.

Maybe so if Brindy's knee is still a problem or if someome else gets hurt.

I agree about missing Justin's defense and all around game but IMO others already on the team (Eaves - Larose - maybe O'neill) just have to step up.

Find a way - LETS GO CANES

I don't want to throw him under the bus quite yet, but does anyone think Williams might just call it quits? He's only played 8 seasons, but he missed most of 02-03 with knee and shoulder issues, and now most of 07-08 with the knee. When he's on he's on though, he played 82 games in 05-06 and 82 games in 06-07. He's young to retire, but I imagine that an achilles injury is very hard to come back from.

I think it is way to early to speculate on Williams hanging up the skates. You just wish him well and hope to see him back on the ice later this year. The immediate issue is how to replace him for the first half of the season.

From what I have read management wasn

I think it is way to early to speculate on Williams hanging up the skates. You just wish him well and hope to see him back on the ice later this year. The immediate issue is how to replace him for the first half of the season.

From what I have read management wasn

Forslund has yet another blog up on WRAL.com (he's a busy man this week). Anyway the title of his blog was 'Patience'. He seems to think JR is going to see what he has in training camp, will see if one of Eaves, O'Neill, LaRose, Bayda or Bowman can step it up. If so, he will not look outside. If JR sees problems, then he'll likely look trade using one of our defenseman. He says the last choice JR will look to is a free agent signing. But it sounds like JR is going to give someone a chance.

Given this injury, what does this say about the importance of the exhibition games? How do the Canes use them to be ready at puck drop from game 1 and not dig an early season hole that may impact a playoff berth/

I think Alexander has his facts mixed up, as the team says he'll have surgery this week but was injured this morning. Granted, Alexander could very well be right, but it really doesn't make much sense.

Here's what I understand about full achilles tears: once the tendon ruptures, the tension from the upper calf muscle pulls the tendon up into the calf. Immediately following this, you just can't go in there and pull the muscle/tendon down to reattach. That in itself would result in more tearing of muscle fibers. There needs to be a period of relaxation. I'd bet he's on some really nice drugs right now.

I think we may have to consider human sacrifice to break this curse.

I nominate Todd Bertuzzi!

Furthermore in Firefox you can disable a single image by right clicking if you use firefox.

Now I will speak on a final note since no one seems to be listening to other staff. Now you can do one of two things:

1: Listen to what I say and continue to post.

2: Ignore me and get banned.

Now here is what I have to say.

For starters the political comment on the first page (maybe 2nd can't remember). It was reported to staff by a member and it was dealt with by a staff member just a few posts down. Then on page 7 or something the original comment is made, followed by another comment regarding politics from the same member back to back (double posting) which also violates the rules. Therefore there are multiple people breaking the rules.

Now as I've mentioned in private messages to some members, members are entitled to use any image, hockey related or not in their avatar as long as it follows hight/width restrictions and is tasteful (no foul language, insults ect). Political support signs are seen all over the country right now. If you see a bus ad, are you going to complain to the bus company to have it removed? If you do, do you honestly think they will remove it? Probably not. Same goes here. With that being said, interjecting political opinions into hockey threads is not permitted here and will be dealt with accordingly.

So keep to the topic at hand being discussed and don't go into politics, especially in hockey threads. This is a tragic topic that has a lot of people upset, sad and wondering what will happen. I would hate to be forced to lock this thread so be warned. If this thread gets locked, someone gets banned.

That's all for now. I truly hope this is the final time a staff member has to step into this thread.

For those that want to know, many other NHL message boards allow political topics. The Chicago Blackhawks fans are quite lively on the subject, being the hometown of one of our current presidential nominees. While there, you can also keep up to date with Ladd and Adams.

Well after I've posted several times about the latest injuries NOT having to do with conditioning - of course JR comes out today and says the opposite may be true. Shows what I know.

He said he is going to look into it and I will be fascinated to hear what conclusions (if any) that he comes to.

I'd be willing to bet that Friesen says its bad luck and not conditioning related.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=382378

Well after I've posted several times about the latest injuries NOT having to do with conditioning - of course JR comes out today and says the opposite may be true. Shows what I know.

He said he is going to look into it and I will be fascinated to hear what conclusions (if any) that he comes to.

I'd be willing to bet that Friesen says its bad luck and not conditioning related.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382378' target="_blank">http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=382378[/post]

Friesen has said before he thinks a part of it is the system the team plays. I don't have the link but this was in an interview with him during the off season where he addressed the health of our injured players. Hopefully this madness will stop.

Ha-ha-ha. :D

TSA, I swear I think that is the funniest thing I've ever heard you say. Usually you are a pretty straight-shooter.

Your stock went up even more with me tonight.

Can it be a pig? :ph34r:

Whatever it takes.....right?

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382378' target="_blank">http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=382378[/post]

Scapegoating. It's nobody but Rutherford's fault. He repeatedly acquires and re-signs hilariously injury prone players every year, then wonders why they get injured. We are talking about a general manager who gave three-year deals to both Walker and Whitney at the ages of 34-35 last summer. Four-year deals to Wallin and Kaberle. A six-year deal to Bret Hedican. Who other than Rutherford was shocked that all of these players have missed significant time since? He has a long history of giving absurd contracts to old, injury prone players. Now he seems to be focusing on acquiring younger, cheaper injury prone players. It's all the same.

Look at JR's notable acquistions since the end of the '03-04 season (I'm going by memory so I probably left a few guys out). I bolded the injury prone ones: Kaberle, Cullen, Ladd, Whitney, Stillman, Babchuk, Weight, Recchi, Grahame, Walker, Tanabe, Letowski, Hamilton, Corvo, Eaves, Ruutu, Pitkanen.

Add in the likes of Hedican, Wesley, Cole, Wallin etc already on the team and you have a perfect recipe for ~300 man-games lost every year.

It's not Pete Friesen's fault that the injury prone players Rutherford acquires get injured, no more than it is Peter Laviolette's fault that the terrible defensemen Rutherford acquires can't keep the puck out of their net.

Most of the players on this team were not drafted by the Hurricanes and have spent sizeable portions of their careers with other teams. Yet many of them had a long history of injuries despite never being trained by Pete Friesen prior to coming to this team. We've got about a dozen players who we KNOW will miss time based on recent history, and most of this history came with other teams.

O'Neill was before my time but if you go to NHL.com and look at his stats its obvious he can score goals but his +/- is consistently horrible. Just a thought.

The man doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

O'Neill is sometimes very lucky just to find the net. That could have a lot to do with his personal baggage, but when he focuses on the task at hand, he'd halfway decent. I definitely wouldn't have him on special teams, and even at even strength I'd want him teamed up with someone more... defensively gifted, shall we say?

I think JR should at least make a phone call to Teemu, but I am sure hes going to just retire.

Mark Parrish hardly fills the hole left by Williams..

Teemu is a bit expensive but do we wanna miss playoffs again? Again he's prolly retiring or wants to stay in Anaheim if he doesnt.

If Teemu signs here, Rutherford will be getting what little money I have. I don't care if it's a 1-game contract. I will buy tickets to that game, and I will buy a whole new jersey to have it stitched with Teemu's name.

Nice pipe dream, but not going to happen.

If Teemu signs here, Rutherford will be getting what little money I have. I don't care if it's a 1-game contract. I will buy tickets to that game, and I will buy a whole new jersey to have it stitched with Teemu's name.

Nice pipe dream, but not going to happen.

You'd be coming to the game in your skibbies.

"Did that man sell his pants to see Teemu?"

yes...yes he did..

I have some concerns about O'Neill, but not about his mental game. Those that remember him, we all know he is not the fastest player out there. He would just kinda park himself at that faceoff circle and put em in. I'm just not sure how well he will fit into our fast paced, smooth flowing style of play. He's also been out of commission for a while. I just don't know if he will be able to keep up.

A this point Williams' replacement will be LaRose, with Bayda getting some time also, unless we go the O'Neil route. I suspect LaRose gets yet another chance to show 3rd line potential at the NHL level. If so, I really hope he starts finding the back of the net. This would be a true second chance for him in that role, because prior to this injury he was clearly 4th line bound.

We don't actually need LaRose to score tons of goals on the third line. But we do need Williams productivity to come from somewhere. I am hoping that Eaves and Ruutu score close to 20 goals to pick up the slack. Bayda will also get a look on the third line. In fact the Canes depth chart currently shows Bayda on the 3rd and LaRose on the 4th line. (Interestingly shows Walker on the second line, and Eaves on the first line).

I don't see Sampsonov in the "has to step up" role. I see him as someone we were already counting on for productivity. Anything less than 20 goals would be a disapointment. He is not replacing William's production he is replacing Cole's production.

I just don't think Larose can fill that role, or should try to. He's not a goal scorer, or even a big point getter. He's a pest, energy guy. He's supposed to annoy the heck out of the opposition and wear them down so our goal scorers can score. I just don't think Larose has the ability to put up many points. I'll be stunned if he gets 20 goals. Leave the goal scoring gap to be filled by Eaves and Rutuu. That being said, i love LaRose, and would like nothign better than to see him put up some numbers, I just don't see it happening. Now if he gets paired up with Sutter, maybe Sutter can set him up some....

If he is healthy, Cullen could step up on the wing to replace Williams. Sutter could move up to center the third line. Larose shifts to center on the fourth line. We skate 7 defensemen.

I just don't think Larose can fill that role, or should try to. He's not a goal scorer, or even a big point getter. He's a pest, energy guy. He's supposed to annoy the heck out of the opposition and wear them down so our goal scorers can score. I just don't think Larose has the ability to put up many points. I'll be stunned if he gets 20 goals. Leave the goal scoring gap to be filled by Eaves and Rutuu. That being said, i love LaRose, and would like nothign better than to see him put up some numbers, I just don't see it happening. Now if he gets paired up with Sutter, maybe Sutter can set him up some....

Well he would essentially be our 9th forward if he were put on the 3rd line. There is no team in the league that has 8+ 20 goal scorers, so he really wouldn't have to score alot. He would have to work hard and cycle, like the Walker and the Rats line did last year. That said, Bayda was actually one of the Rats and is listed in that 3rd line slot on the current depth chart, so maybe it's Bayda. It's just that Bayda's points per game at the NHL level are even lower that Chad's. So it would be a major step up for him produce a lot of goals also. Gotta put someone in that #9 forward slot.