The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
4everaCaniac

Justin Williams Out for 6 months!

Well he would essentially be our 9th forward if he were put on the 3rd line. There is no team in the league that has 8+ 20 goal scorers, so he really wouldn't have to score alot. He would have to work hard and cycle, like the Walker and the Rats line did last year. That said, Bayda was actually one of the Rats and is listed in that 3rd line slot on the current depth chart, so maybe it's Bayda. It's just that Bayda's points per game at the NHL level are even lower that Chad's. So it would be a major step up for him produce a lot of goals also. Gotta put someone in that #9 forward slot.

good points

If he is healthy, Cullen could step up on the wing to replace Williams. Sutter could move up to center the third line. Larose shifts to center on the fourth line. We skate 7 defensemen.

Given how he looked as a center last year that means there would be no one on the ice to win faceoffs with that lineup. If O'Neil doesn't earn a spot a 4th line of Sutter, LaRose and Brookbank/Conboy makes a lot more sense than one of LaRose, Bayda and Brookbank/Conboy.

Well he would essentially be our 9th forward if he were put on the 3rd line. There is no team in the league that has 8+ 20 goal scorers, so he really wouldn't have to score alot. He would have to work hard and cycle, like the Walker and the Rats line did last year. That said, Bayda was actually one of the Rats and is listed in that 3rd line slot on the current depth chart, so maybe it's Bayda. It's just that Bayda's points per game at the NHL level are even lower that Chad's. So it would be a major step up for him produce a lot of goals also. Gotta put someone in that #9 forward slot.

I wouldn't put too much value into the lines on the site. They are going strictly by position, so eaves becomes the best right winger and is moved to the 1st line. I agree, it's not going to be one guy that'll be the one to replace Williams, everyone needs to step up and if Ruutu and Eaves put up over 20 goals we'll be good. I agree with Colby, Cullen being put at wing on the 2nd line might be a good idea. My guess at our lines would be like this.

Samsonov-Staal-Whitney(wings can be switched either way, both prefer left but shoot right.)

Cullen-Brind'amour-Eaves

Ruutu-Sutter-Walker

Brookbank-O'neil-LaRose

I like those lines, and there is still room for someone like Bowman to make the 3rd line and bayda to step up. Not to mention Conboy who can be a 4th liner.

I wouldn't put too much value into the lines on the site. They are going strictly by position, so eaves becomes the best right winger and is moved to the 1st line. I agree, it's not going to be one guy that'll be the one to replace Williams, everyone needs to step up and if Ruutu and Eaves put up over 20 goals we'll be good. I agree with Colby, Cullen being put at wing on the 2nd line might be a good idea. My guess at our lines would be like this.

Samsonov-Staal-Whitney(wings can be switched either way, both prefer left but shoot right.)

Cullen-Brind'amour-Eaves

Ruutu-Sutter-Walker

Brookbank-O'neil-LaRose

I like those lines, and there is still room for someone like Bowman to make the 3rd line and bayda to step up. Not to mention Conboy who can be a 4th liner.

JR has stated ONeill is not a 4th line guy.

HAs anybody heard any new status on Cullen, last I remember from the beginning of the summer was not so good.

it has been posted several places that he is fine, most recent interview was last week. his wife had their second child so he has been away with that.

I don't see a problem with a forward line-up like this:

Ruutu / Staal / Samsonov

Whitney / Brind'Amour / Eaves

LaRose / Cullen / Walker

Bayda or Bowman / Sutter / Brookbank or Conboy

Ruutu, Eaves, and LaRose all get their opportunities to prove their worth to this team. Bowman and Sutter could be a productive duo to have on the fourth-line and either Brookbank or Conboy would provide a physical presence in case someone wants to take liberties with either rookie.

Ruutu / Staal / Samsonov

Whitney / Brind'Amour / Eaves

LaRose / Cullen / Walker

Bayda or Bowman / Sutter / Brookbank or Conboy

I agree with this lineup. I don't like Cullen on wing, he plays his best hockey at center, leave him there unless Samsonov and Eaves are down for the count.

it has been posted several places that he is fine, most recent interview was last week. his wife had their second child so he has been away with that.

It was also said that he didn't have a concussion. I will feel a lot better when we actually see him.

After reading thru all these pages again and following the news links, I still have questions about J. Williams injury.

Was the achilles' tendon torn completely in half or just a partial tear? All I've heard is "ruptured" - which is ambiguous to me.

2nd question: What exercise specifically was he doing when he tore it? Again, the only thing I read was "during an off ice workout"

Anybody clue me in ?

After reading thru all these pages again and following the news links, I still have questions about J. Williams injury.

Was the achilles' tendon torn completely in half or just a partial tear? All I've heard is "ruptured" - which is ambiguous to me.

2nd question: What exercise specifically was he doing when he tore it? Again, the only thing I read was "during an off ice workout"

Anybody clue me in ?

JR was on XM Wednesday and said that the tendon was torn, not ruptured. He also said that the surgery showed the injury wasn't as bad as it had appeared initially on the MRI - but he didn't say if full or partial tear. He did tell the XM host that he didn't expect him to be out the entire season and he thought he would appear in the last 30 or so regular season games.