The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WStout

The Burg

Seidenberg for president!

I have seen more from him (defense) than any other player!!!! Thanks Burg! Keep it up!

(I will forgive that one goof in the first against Philly that cost the shorty)

yeah, Seids is a great underrated player, he's a great skater and pretty solid defensively. i'm glad they gave him the "A" even if it's just for two preseason games so far. I'd put an "A" on my jersey but it's the older one so it wouldnt make much sense..

I hope that the coaches start to give him a little love during the season. The problem is that they are paying Kaberle and Wallin and still seem to think that they're the men by their comments (thought not Lavi that I know of). Then there's Babchuk and Melichar. Seidenberg is always a fan favorite, but has had a way of finding the press box despite this. I hope that he and Babchuk get long looks this year.

Seids was a BEAST on the ice today. Looked better than any of the other D out there. Blocked 3 shots at least. All over the ice... did he even leave? Seems like he played the whole damn game. The guy deserves 2nd line definitely.

Over here in Germany, Seids isn't even rated below Cristoph Schubert or Christian Erhoff, he usually takes the first PP blueline with Schubert in our National Team.

Agree, he should be #4.

Over here in Germany, Seids isn't even rated below Cristoph Schubert or Christian Erhoff, he usually takes the first PP blueline with Schubert in our National Team.

Agree, he should be #4.

I realize he has been playing against a lot of minor leaguers, but he has definitely looked like the best d-man IMO. If he could keep this up and the other guys find their stride, I feel good about the D.

I always liked Seidenberg's style, kind of a no-nonsense approach, and a great commitment to the game, getting low to block shots, taking the body and finishing checks (unlike some of our other d-men). If he'd just work a little on the precision of his slapshot (which can be pretty powerful, btw), he'd definitely be a top 4 defenseman material on most teams in the league and a steady presence on the PP. It's very dissapointing that he's spent so much time in the press box since he came here in Jan 07, I know this is bad, but it's almost to the point where you wish someone gets hurt so he can be in the lineup. As I said before in another topic I totally see him paired w/ Corvo on the #2 defensive pairing.

Always liked his style. It's great to hear this board get excited about a Canes defensive defenseman.

If you go back a page or two you will find a poll (or you may have seen it) asking who is our #4 defenseman. Seidenberg won the vote over Babchuk, Kaberle, Wallin, and Melicar. Overall the fans love Seidenberg. It's the coaches who haven't felt the love. Maybe this is the year.

Wait a minute, we can't judge Cam Ward on his play in the preseason but we can anoint Dennis Seidenberg as our #4 defenseman based on his performance? Let's see him play at a solid level on a consistent basis against NHL competition before we start any of that talk. If the coaches felt he could make a difference on the ice, he would have played more in the last couple of years.

Well, I think the general feeling among some fans is that Seidenberg has been short-changed by the coaches in the last couple of years, whatever the reason behind it may be. And while I completely disagree with the practice of having higher paid players get preferential treatment (which could explain Kaberle and Wallin being started over Seidenberg), it's something that's common in all sports and I have learned to accept it. On the other hand, it totally baffled me how Avi Tanabe managed to leapfrog Seids on the Canes d-men depth chart last year. Anyhow, the 4/6 preaseason games have been played and Seidenberg looked a lot better than Wallin and Kaberle. They (Kabs and Wallin) may have played many years in the NHL on a consistent basis, but lately it seems like they are content just to play out their contracts and go and finish out their careers in their respective homelands. On the other hand, Seidenberg is a guy with something to prove.

Wait a minute, we can't judge Cam Ward on his play in the preseason but we can anoint Dennis Seidenberg as our #4 defenseman based on his performance? Let's see him play at a solid level on a consistent basis against NHL competition before we start any of that talk. If the coaches felt he could make a difference on the ice, he would have played more in the last couple of years.

To be fair Seids has played every preseason game so far, including the RW scrimmage and looks better each game. Cam has only played like 1.5 games. Also, 2 of the goals he gave up was because the D allowed 2 breakaways when we had the man advantage. So I can see why people are hesitant to judge Cam on his performance so far.

Joe, you're closing in on the post of the week again.

Id have to agree with you. If the coaches thought that Seidenberg was their best option, he'd have played more. He's spent an awful lot of time nursing some minor and some not so minor injuries that have kept him out at various times over the last couple of seasons. I like his chances of picking up a more prominent role this season if he can stay healthy for long periods of time. But then again, that seems to be a common issue with all our players.

To be fair Seids has played every preseason game so far, including the RW scrimmage and looks better each game. Cam has only played like 1.5 games. Also, 2 of the goals he gave up was because the D allowed 2 breakaways when we had the man advantage. So I can see why people are hesitant to judge Cam on his performance so far.

Yeah...and unfortunately one of those was cause Seids got caught standing still.

It's ok...I'm hoping for both of them to come through - we need them.