The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Jeff O'Neill ends comeback with Canes

Well so much for that idea.

That about sums it up. Though it sounds like it a mutual agreement...though I'm sure Rutherford agreed to take him out with a little bit of class.

Thank You Jeff!

I'm not surprised. It takes alot of dedication to play this game, and I wasn't getting that from O'Neil. Maybe he decided hockey isn't for him anymore, who knows. Good luck to him on whatever he decides to do.

Come on...he was worth a two-way deal...wonder if he was offered that much?

Here's to signing Dan LaCouture...he deserves some type of offer.

I'm not surprised. It takes alot of dedication to play this game, and I wasn't getting that from O'Neil. Maybe he decided hockey isn't for him anymore, who knows. Good luck to him on whatever he decides to do.

I think he can still play the game, just maybe not the "run and gun" style Lavi coaches.

Come on...he was worth a two-way deal...wonder if he was offered that much?

Here's to signing Dan LaCouture...he deserves some type of offer.

Paul said in his blog that Jeff still didn't want a two way.

Paul said in his blog that Jeff still didn't want a two way.

Hmmm...no money or some money (with potential to make even more)....that's a tough one.

Maybe his agent knows something...Best of Luck Jeff...hope you stay the course.

See this is just the thing that pisses me off about O'neil. He still thinks he is too good for a 2 way contract. Take the damn 2 way, get sent to Albany and work on your game. Prove to everyone that you still have it. The truth of it is he either still has a bad attitude or he knows he can't even shine in the AHL.

See this is just the thing that pisses me off about O'neil. He still thinks he is too good for a 2 way contract. Take the damn 2 way, get sent to Albany and work on your game. Prove to everyone that you still have it. The truth of it is he either still has a bad attitude or he knows he can't even shine in the AHL.

...or his agent may have heard from another team that wants to give him a shot. This is like some other topics we have had recently, we just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. It may have been that he decided it wasn't right for him , he may have turned down a 2 way, he may not have been offered a 2 way at all. With our forwards and also the way a couple of the guys in camp have played, it was unrealistic to me that O'Neill was going to get signed anyway. We are over J.R.'s self imposed cap now as it is.

The whole thing could have been a good will gesture by the organization to help out an important player from our past. He did get a lot of ice time in 4 pre-season games to show the league what he had left in the tank. His agent may have been working the phones pretty hard and some scouts may have been taking a look at him.

You don't know what he is thinking. How do you know "He still thinks he is too good for a 2 way contract"?

Perhaps he decided it wasn't for him, maybe he was not in as good as shape as he needed to be.

"The truth of it is he either still has a bad attitude or he knows he can't even shine in the AHL."

How do YOU know the truth?

It would appear to me that you had a bias against him anyway...

Mabye this isn't about a "bad attitude", mabye he just decided he doesn't want to play hockey anymore. I really wish he could have come back close to the player he used to be. I know that the defense was a big concern, but I was worried about the offense with guys coming back from cocussions and major knee surgeries.

When I heard this I wondered if he decided not to play anywhere, or if he is going to try to play somewhere else.

I thought he looked good in camp and preseason but maybe he doesnt feel competitive anymore.

Best of luck Jeff.

I really like Jeff and wanted to see him excel here. It's hard to go through everything he has and it would be great for him to play again. As someone else stated, Lavi's type of play may not suit Jeff but I am sure he could find a home to play.

Sorry to see you go Jeff! Good luck in all your endeavors!

I think he gave it his best and his best did not fit the system. Maybe a little more work maybe another team... Best of luck big "O"! :D

The way we have been going through players here in Raleigh, he wouldn't have been a Rat for long, would have only been a matter of time before he makes it back. I wonder if he has something lined up in the KHL?

i highly doubt he would go to the KHL. his phobia of flying would inhibit him from playing in that league, especially with the overseas flights. plus what are the chances you think he knows russian?

i highly doubt he would go to the KHL. his phobia of flying would inhibit him from playing in that league, especially with the overseas flights. plus what are the chances you think he knows russian?

about as good as me knowing spanish!! LOL I think he will land somewhere but still think he will have to accept a two way deal. I can see a team paying big AHL dollars and taking a chance. i will always have a good reason to dislike him, for me it's personal but do wish him the best.

I will admit I am not a huge Jeff O'neill fan. I do remember his great play back in the day and going to the Cup back in 2002/03. I do appreciate everything he did do for the team. When I watch him now I don't see much hustle or a real wanting to be here. Again, that is just my opinion. I also agree that his training camp could have just been a gesture because of all that he has done for us in the past. If I would have seen him play harder and show me some desire I would have welcomed him to the team. I just didn't see it. Was it just a small amount of time to see these things? Probably. Does everyone agree he should have showed more desire to be here or somewhere else in the NHL? I would hope so. I do wish him luck and enjoy rooting for the underdog or second chance guy.

I like Jeff and was hoping he would have a good camp and come back strong. Just didn't show it in the exhibition games like I expected. Especially Sunday, just seemed like he was playing a second behind everyone else (passing, shooting, and skating). He's got to accept a 2-way deal if he wants to stick somewhere. Good luck to him!

You are obviously ASSUming that he was offered a two way deal...we don't know.

Besides if Rutherford did offer a two way deal it is something called his decision to accept the deal or not.

You also do not know what his situation is....quit hating.

Isn't there some kind of rule about the amount of "NHL experience" you can have at the AHL level? i.e. 2 players with no experience, 2 players with x NHL games....thought I read that somewhere at one time.