The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

USA Today preview the Southeast Division

Pretty fair assessment but "ouch" on his prediction for Samsonov. C'mon Sergei, silence the critics.

he says he'll be stunned if sergei finishes the season in Carolina. I dont get it, is he talking trade or being sent down, neither which are very likely if the Canes are frontrunners in the division. Whats the expectations for him anyway, Id put him at 65 pts which is well worth the money theyre paying him.

I don't agree with his assessment of the Caps, simply because he's focused on Huet and completely overlooked Kolzig. Yeah, Theodore's a step down from Huet, but he's a step up from Kolzig, and Kolzig was the one that played most of the Caps games last season. As long as they still have AO, I'd pick them to take the division and have us at a close second.

I think the change in schedule's going to hurt the SE the most. If the division couldn't get 2 teams in the playoffs when the schedule pitted them against each other and the weaker Eastern Conference, how can it get 2 teams in when games against the division are lower, and games against the dominant Western Conference are higher?

Once again, it's going to be the division winner is the only one that makes the playoffs, and as the article stated, Ward's going to have to step it up big time for the Canes to take the division.

he says he'll be stunned if sergei finishes the season in Carolina. I dont get it, is he talking trade or being sent down, neither which are very likely if the Canes are frontrunners in the division. Whats the expectations for him anyway, Id put him at 65 pts which is well worth the money theyre paying him.

Players like Sergei and our defense is going to make or break our season. Oh and staying healthy too!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/allan_muir/10/02/southeast.preview/index.html' target="_blank">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...view/index.html[/post]

Only big-time writer I've seen that actually picks us for the division. Really like his assessment though of us, and all the teams in general.

Yes, I am biased lol. Muir is one of my favorite writers...still I like that he picked us!!!

I think the point that Muir makes about the Canes not playing well as a team is dead on. It isn't often we can watch a game without marveling at simple (yet rare for us) things like clearing the zone cleanly or passes that go right to the intended player. A little more chemistry between the players could go a long way.