The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WStout

Dan's Last Night?

We already have a couple of energy players that could fill the same role LaCouture could in the AHL, namely Conboy and Murley. All LaCouture would do is take up ice time in Albany from prospects that actually have a future with this franchise.

Just got back from the game and for me Lacouture was very good. He adds the energy and grit that seemed to spark the team more than once.

Forslund made the comment that "free agents trying to make the team have to be great - not just good". I don't think Dan has been great but man the guy has given everything to make the team. I love the effort he has given and the needed grit he adds to the team.

IMO nobody has worked harder in camp and I think he deserves a shot.

i agree with what one caniac said...give him a chance and if it doesn't work...send him up to the Rats. With our history of injuries, I think it would be good to have a bif guy used to playing the NHL boys in case someone goes down. (**knock on wood it doesn't happen!!!) I think he has shown potential. Nothing 'wowing' but I think he could be another Gleason down the road!

I have never waited for Friday so much in my life!!!!!! GO CANES! :lol:

We already have a couple of energy players that could fill the same role LaCouture could in the AHL, namely Conboy and Murley. All LaCouture would do is take up ice time in Albany from prospects that actually have a future with this franchise.

Emotionally I'd love it if Dan could work out. But I have to agree with JustJoe, Dan is solid but not spectacular and a grind line kinda guy. We've got young blood developing and unless we have to add another character guy for the youth in Albany I don't see Dan getting a 2-Way contract offer.

Emotionally I'd love it if Dan could work out. But I have to agree with JustJoe, Dan is solid but not spectacular and a grind line kinda guy. We've got young blood developing and unless we have to add another character guy for the youth in Albany I don't see Dan getting a 2-Way contract offer.

Dan should Stay!!!!

We have to get our roster to 23 as it is...I just don't see how we could sign him and I don't think think his play warranted putting someone on waivers over him.

I think its more of a question of, what will our 4th line consist of? IMO there are 6 guys fight'n for 3 spots; Sutter, Larose, Lacouture, Brookbank, Gillies, and Conboy. So Sutter is obviously the most skilled player out of the bunch, but is it going to help him to play5-7 min. a game with Larose and Lacouture (or Brookbank, Gillies, Conboy). I say send Sutter down, let him play 20+ min. a game in Albany for a season; he'll pump in 80+ points this season for them on the top line; bring him up next season and he will be a top 9 forward for us. So then Lacouture is the next most skilled guy out of the bunch. Pair him up with Larose and one of the other three (Brookbank, Gillies, Conboy). That's a pretty good 4th line IMO. Grit, fire and the occasional goal. So I say we will see Lacouture opening night, unless we run 7 D, in which case we will sit either Lacouture or the fighters.

I think its more of a question of, what will our 4th line consist of? IMO there are 6 guys fight'n for 3 spots; Sutter, Larose, Lacouture, Brookbank, Gillies, and Conboy. So Sutter is obviously the most skilled player out of the bunch, but is it going to help him to play5-7 min. a game with Larose and Lacouture (or Brookbank, Gillies, Conboy). I say send Sutter down, let him play 20+ min. a game in Albany for a season; he'll pump in 80+ points this season for them on the top line; bring him up next season and he will be a top 9 forward for us. So then Lacouture is the next most skilled guy out of the bunch. Pair him up with Larose and one of the other three (Brookbank, Gillies, Conboy). That's a pretty good 4th line IMO. Grit, fire and the occasional goal. So I say we will see Lacouture opening night, unless we run 7 D, in which case we will sit either Lacouture or the fighters.

Sutter cant go to Albany.

Why not? What good is it going to do him to skate 5-7 min a night on the 4th line?

To play in the AHL, he would have to be 20 years old (or played a certain number of years in junior hockey, not sure about that). However, he did neither, so if he's not goin to be with the canes, he would have to go back to Red Deer, which doesn't seem to be an option.

Why not? What good is it going to do him to skate 5-7 min a night on the 4th line?

it gives him experience.. a 19 year old like Sutter is not going to come in and be able to play 20 minutes a game. you have to work him in to get ready and let him get used to the NHL level and develope.

I just don't think this team needs to add another forward on the north side of 30-years-old. I liked the youth movement that started last year and the team's record down the stretch would indicate that it worked.

Dan LaCouture - 18 goals in 326 career games

Chad LaRose - 18 goals in 187 career games

In my opinion, and this can't be said too often, LaRose has more offensive skill than LaCouture. If it's energy that you want on the fourth-line, I would say Conboy is the best option available from that list. If it's offensive skill, Boychuk would have to be far and away the #1 choice. If it's the ability to be an enforcer, the debate would be between Brookbank and Gillies. I just don't see the need to add another older forward, especially since he'll most likely spend most of the season in the AHL where we already have an older forward (Murley) to serve as a mentor to our prospects.

Right now Chad LaRose is projected for the 3rd line. If, however Ryan Bayda shines he could move up. As far as the 4th line Chad LaRose is a 4th line All Star if there were such a thing. With Williams out, either LaRose or Bayda on the 4th line is an absolute certainty. They are not "competing" for the 4th line, they are assured the 4th line and competing for the 3rd line.

I am convinced that Sutter will be with the team for at least 9 games, and probably for the season. He has has not wowed, but he is brand new to the NHL game and will improve with each game played at this level (and practicing at this level to better learn the system). The 4th line center doesn't contribute much to the team anyway, so as long as Sutter doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and can kill penalties, we don't give up that much by having him log a few minutes. And he might suprise on the upside.

The real question in my opinion is that last forward. Most likely we go with the enforcer, and most likely that will be Brookbank. I still think that Boychek may get a look for a few games, with Brookbank finding the press box, or if there are any injuries to the forwards then he and Brookbank play.

With our current glut of defensemen under one way contracts, I still would not be suprised to see a trade at some point, but at this point we aren't going to carry extra forwards, so LaCouture would have to fit in Albany. I have no idea if he does or not.

My only issue with the Bayda/Sutter/Brookbank or maybe Boychek 4th line is that JR clearly stated he wanted a very physical 4th line. Lots of energy and throwing lots of hits. That's not what this 4th line would really do that much. This is the line of thinking that might lead to another trade:

One of our defenseman, for a hard checking strong-skating occasional fighting solid NHL 4th liner. A pick could be thown in to even out the deal. I know that the coaches can't say enough about how devestatingly awsome Kaberle has been in camp. Perhaps, or perhaps buffing him up for a trade? Or if he really has been that good, maybe we can move one of our other bottom dmen. Could happen.

I think he has played well enough to be givien a chance. I say give him a 2 way deal as well.

I think he has played well enough to be givien a chance. I say give him a 2 way deal as well.

I think so too. There's no room for him now but he's showed he can play at the NHL if needed. I wonder if some other team will offer him a one-way deal?

I also think Remkin is onto something here. A defenseman has to go and if you go by what JR said, he want the 4th line to get tougher. If Sutter gets the 4th line center spot which I think he will, he'll benefit from some protection on his wing. Brookbank has shown he's more than willing to play the enforcer role but he's not always effective, and I think Gilles is still hanging around to see if he can earn the spot too. If JR thinks he can make a trade that will upgrade the enforcer position from either of these two guys, I think he makes the deal with one of our dmen.

Kaberle is still the most likely to go IMO because he is looking improved and has a higher contract. He will have the most value in a trade right now.

Dan likes to fight and hit too...I would like to see a fourth line of Lacouture, Conboy, and Brookbank...plug in Sutter depending on the team we're playing. LaRose will be plugged in where needed anyway.

Like someone said earlier...Sutter can't go to Albany yet....so not a lot of options there.

Nice to have this problem...

I thought Dan look good for the 7 or so minutes he was on the ice. Had some nice hits and mixed it up very well. I would like to think he is a keeper.

Sutter look good as well, He had a good ice presence and I though he showed good skills. Got pushed around a little but all and all good.