The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caro-ch1

New Training Philosophy

I think the weights could almost be entirely removed from the training regimen. Hockey is primarily a game of quickness and agility and heavy weight training does almost nothing to help that and probably has more of a negative effect due to muscle tightening. Obviously being stronger has its benefits but there may come a point where the negatives outwiegh the positives.

What?!? Proper weight training improves both agility and quickness. It is also a very good in terms of injury REDUCTION. Muscle tightening? Heard of pre and post stretching? Weight training improves flexibility through range of motion. The use of free weights helps with balance issues which improves agility.

One training drill other teams do, I know Ottawa does, is skating with a parachute. To me, this seems like more of a useful drill than running a 5k or heavy weight training. It offers resistance and builds balance and strength needed specifically for....skating! Shouldn't the Cane's training target building 'hockey muscles' and hockey skills like skating as opposed to general body-building or iron man endurance?

Mark Borowiecki, an Ottawa prospect, did a blog for the Senators on their development camp and had this to say about parachute training:

Yesterday afternoon, we did some skating with parachutes attached to our backs. It was a good test and it was tough. It definitely gives you some resistance there. You work hard and it really helps your technique and stuff like that. To tell you the truth, it

Chip had a big ol writeup in this mornings N&O. Here's some snippits:

"We have the same training program for all players, whether they're 40 or 18, goalie, defenseman or forward," Rutherford said. "We need to do something different."

-------------------------------------------------------

"We'll take a more individualized approach," Friesen said. "There are some guys like defensemen who need more strength and power training. Then there are guys like [5-foot-8 forward] Sergei Samsonov. We'll look at their style of play and set up a program to make them more effective."

------------------------------------------------------

"They have plenty of instructors to keep an eye on you and tailor [programs] to our physicality," forward Chad LaRose said. "Some guys need to work on quickness and some guys need to work on strength.

"I think [Rutherford] hit the nail on the head. Different guys need different things."

I think this is exactly where they did to go. Tater the training per the individual. Not everyone can be a Brind'Amour. Why is a 5'8 forward doing the same work out as a 6'4 defenseman. Doesn't make sense.

The full article can be found here if interested:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurrica...ry/1248383.html

The fact that Friesen has a one size fits all approach really baffled me. Having a player/position like Cam Ward train the same way you would have Eric Staal doesn't make sense.

An example would be the fact that a player like Cam doesn't skate a few miles in a game while a player like Staal does.

What?!? Proper weight training improves both agility and quickness. It is also a very good in terms of injury REDUCTION. Muscle tightening? Heard of pre and post stretching? Weight training improves flexibility through range of motion. The use of free weights helps with balance issues which improves agility.

calm down meat head. I believe I said heavy weight training and yes Ive heard of stretching, have the Canes players?

calm down meat head. I believe I said heavy weight training and yes Ive heard of stretching, have the Canes players?

i dunno how you can call him a meathead when you actually suggested to almost entirely remove weights from the training program.

But that was the first usage of meathead since 1985, congrats.

i dunno how you can call him a meathead when you actually suggested to almost entirely remove weights from the training program.

But that was the first usage of meathead since 1985, congrats.

training programs designed for hockey players do not heavily emphasize weight training, it should it be a small part of the pre-season training but less emphasized than cardio and aerobic training. NHL players compete almost on a nightly basis and the bodies recovery process is the most important thing and weight training doesnt help that. I wasnt born in 1985, i wonder how meathead made its way into my vocabulary.

This wont make any diffrence. The guys will still continue to train just as hard in the offseason and just as hard in season. Rod wont stop because someone tells him to. This is a huge joke. What is JR thinking.

Just noticed on Branecky's blog that the Cane's will no longer have pre-game skates (or, at least, there will be far fewer of them). I remember hearing on XM last year that very few teams still had them, but the Cane's continued to. I see this as another sign of JR trying to change the karma!

They can all do core strength conditioning, which is vital for athletes. It stabilizes the spine, pelvis and shoulder and provide a solid foundation for movement in the extremities. It helps control movements, transfer energy, shift body weight and move in any direction. It requires the same type of exercises like curls to squats however it is with lighter weight and in different positions where your body is having to use the core to stabilitize while doing the exercise.

Are guys are doing a lot of old school exercises that focus on the major muscles. Most good training programs have athletes doing the exercises used when rehabing from an injury. The purpose of the reabilitating exercise is to strengthen the ligaments and tendons which hold the major muscles in place. Football and baseball teams have been doing this for some time now. It has helped reduce injury and maintain strength throughout the course of the season. I see Rod and other guys doing old school techniques along with the typical agility exercises. You only see them doing the correct exercises that prevent injury after they have suffered from one.

Supplements could be one of our problems. Most teams in the past that have been plagued with injuries were taking similar supplements. I'm not saying steriods but creatine and other types of products used while conditioning could be one of our problems.