The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Angry at the schedule

A lot of teams have schedules like that. NHL likes to have a bulk of its games Thu - Sat (Sun later in the year after the football season is over). Everyone's bound to have back-to-back games and 2 games in 3 days or 3 games in 4 days..

What I didn't like about our schedule the last few years was the fact that we always seemed to be the team with most games played. That would leave us with the false sense of security as we'd have more points but other teams would always have games in hand.

What I didn't like about our schedule the last few years was the fact that we always seemed to be the team with most games played. That would leave us with the false sense of security as we'd have more points but other teams would always have games in hand.

And it probably won't change. Because of the State fair, we will be forever teased with a couple of home games and then an lengthy road trip. Typically they pack more games in the schedule during these long road trips. Actually I think our schedule seems better than previous years, we really are not getting ahead of the rest of the conference thanks to the breaks in between. We might get ahead in November when we play more games than any other month although I have not counted, it just looks like a lot more in the schedule.

Besides, everyone plays 82 games. It all evens out. It all depends on you perspective. Some say it is a "false sense of security" others may say it put pressure on the other teams to win. Last year we were ahead in games played for most of the season and it evened out toward the end when we had more rest than the other teams. Some may say that is a better schedule although it didn't work out for us so much.

And it probably won't change. Because of the State fair, we will be forever teased with a couple of home games and then an lengthy road trip.

The Chicago Bulls had to endure this years ago when the circus came to town. A few home games, then a lengthy west coast swing. It was what jelled them as a team. Pity we can't seem to do the same.

There was a topic about each team's individual schedule and how the new setup effects them.

Because we're playing everyone at least once, and have decreased divisional games, we had the greatest addition of miles traveled in this schedule compared to last year's. We also have the highest amount of "3 in 4 days" in the league.

I understand why they go on the lengthy road trip. I remember in the first couple of seasons when the State Fair came to town they had a State game and then Canes game right after. That was such a logistical nightmare. I just dont understand why the 3 gms in 4days then a long break.

yea November as 3 sets of 3 gms in 4 days. The 1st and 2nd with Oilers and Maple leafs at home. Then at the MLs on the fourth. Get a one day break then go right into another 3 gms in 4 days with @Craps and then Senators and Thrashers at home. Craziness. November is ridiculous but, luckily the Canes play the MLs and Thrashers a couple of times or the team wouldnt make it out alive

The Chicago Bulls had to endure this years ago when the circus came to town. A few home games, then a lengthy west coast swing. It was what jelled them as a team. Pity we can't seem to do the same.

It seems to be working OK this year, with a win and OTL in 2 cali games. Hope we can keep it up against Pitt.. they are always dangerous.

I read about another team, can't remember if it was philly or one of the new york teams that every year has to deal with the same thing, they lose thier arena for like 15 days cause of a circus and have to play 6 or 7 games in a row on the road. Its just the nature of the league that everyone is going to have a schedule like this.. its also the nature of arena's.. even in places like Detroit and Montreal (so you can't say its cause small markets cant devote a arena soley to hockey, although that could be part of it as well).. the arenas get used for all kinds of things like basketball, concerts, conventions, etc.. things you wouldnt or couldnt use a football field or baseball field for.

The length of the schedule has a lot to do with it as well.. its really easy to set down 3 hours every sunday for 16 football games. Its a lot harder to schedule 2 or three games a week for 8 months straight without finding a conflict with something. To fit all the games in your schedule obviously you have to go play in someone elses barn. Look at baseball... those guys tend to take long road trips too and schedule teams that are close together.. like a 3 game series with LA, then 3 game series with San Fran, etc... sometimes it just makes sense to play, say Chicago and then play Minnesota 2 days later, and then play Detroit the next day.. yeah your travelling but your not going far.

If I remember correctly, November is going to be tough with 15 games that month.

Yeah the they have a stretch of 5 games in 7 days to start the month.

However, even though there are 16 (not 15) games in November, at least 11 of them are at home.

No question having the fair-induced early extended roadtrip has peril. This year was made worse on paper by the actual opponents who include 4 powerhouses, and a back to back vs a rested team. The main peril however would have been dropping the first two games, and then a couple of early road games. This year we are through that. Given the difficulty of the opening 10 games, the new players that we have, and the injury situation, getting 10 of the first 20 points would have to be considered a success. We already have 7 points with 5 games to go. If we can go 2-3 over the next 5 it would be all good. Particularly if we look ok in the losses.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to do better. I can tell you that 3-2 over the next 5 would put a smile on my face. 4-1 jumping around. 5-0 lose all control.

The team has looked pretty good, but is far from a finished product. Every game against a top opponent is a test. Pittsburgh definitely qualifies.

No question having the fair-induced early extended roadtrip has peril. This year was made worse on paper by the actual opponents who include 4 powerhouses, and a back to back vs a rested team. The main peril however would have been dropping the first two games, and then a couple of early road games. This year we are through that. Given the difficulty of the opening 10 games, the new players that we have, and the injury situation, getting 10 of the first 20 points would have to be considered a success. We already have 7 points with 5 games to go. If we can go 2-3 over the next 5 it would be all good. Particularly if we look ok in the losses.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to do better. I can tell you that 3-2 over the next 5 would put a smile on my face. 4-1 jumping around. 5-0 lose all control.

The team has looked pretty good, but is far from a finished product. Every game against a top opponent is a test. Pittsburgh definitely qualifies.

This is a good point.. you dont have to win every single game, and you never would anyway.. but if you get a majority of the points you can make the playoffs.. So far we are 3-1-1 which means we have 7 of a possible 10 points available. If half our games are wins, 1/4 are OT losses and 1/4 losses that would put us in a great spot. 82 games means 164 possible points, which 75% of that would be 123... that would win us the presidents trophy by a long shot.. so keeping the pace we are at right now (yes, I know thats not possible) a few losses here and there wont hurt us a bit. Out of conference losses really wont kill us at all, and out of division losses hurt but dont kill us.. division wins are a must.

The November schedule is wicked crazy and this road trip schedule we have now give the guys a chance to mend. Was it last year or the year before we four of five back to backs with on a day or two rest. I have come to expect this sort of madness.