The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IRISHCANE

Anyone else a little embarrassed

Detroit is the most popular US hockey team...any other arena and their fans just have to deal with it, just like other baseball stadiums do when the Yankees are in town or football with the Cowboys as the visitor, etc. Good for them. For the Canes organization, per the announced attendance, it was their second straight sellout, so good for us. (Please, let's not have another thread of "Sellout? But I saw empty seats!")

You have never been to a Buffalo game here at the RBC, have you? What you saw last night is nothing compared to the "show" their fans put on when the Sabres play the Canes here.

Why should I be embarassed anyways? Because some economic refugees from up North who grew up supporting their ex-hometown team for longer that ours even existed, bought the tickets and made the drive from faraway places like Cary, Durham, Greensboro or Charlotte on a rare occasion their team plays the Canes? For them this is the 1 game they circled

You have never been to a Buffalo game here at the RBC, have you? What you saw last night is nothing compared to the "show" their fans put on when the Sabres play the Canes here.

Why should I be embarassed anyways? Because some economic refugees from up North who grew up supporting their ex-hometown team for longer that ours even existed, bought the tickets and made the drive from faraway places like Cary, Durham, Greensboro or Charlotte on a rare occasion their team plays the Canes? For them this is the 1 game they circled™ on the calendar and were looking forward to since the schedule came out. For me, it's 1/41 home games I get to see, albeit a little more exciting b/c it was a team we don't see here often and a reigning SC champion.

This is an area full of transplants, so you are bound to see fans of other teams, pro or college. It's a fact of life.

Exactly. It is much easier to afford one game than all 41. Personally, I can only make it to a 5-10 games a year because of time and budgetary constraints. So any single game is unlikely even if it is against a quality opponent because I go to see the Canes not their opponent. But when I went to school in Atlanta, I went to about the same number of Thrashers games as I do here, but included in those were all 4 Carolina games.

In short it is just another game for the Carolina fans, albeit one against a good opponent, but is something special for the Wings fans. Of course you get a bunch of Wings fans.

I was more embarrassed with some of the Wings fans behavior in our arena. The guy behind me had security talk to him not 5 minutes after he got there (halfway through the first), was screaming and swearing in my ear for 2 periods and him and everyone he came in with were clearly intoxicated. I went to go back to my seats after the 2nd intermission and one of them had vomited on where I had been sitting about a minute after I left so we had them move us to another section so we didn't have to deal with it anymore.

We have to remember there has only been a hockey team here for 11 years, so between that and the fact that there are a lot of Northerners who live here in Raleigh now we are bound to have more away fans in our arena. It's the same as when the Penguins play here and Buffalo (although they also bus down from NY)

Perhaps if the Canes fans here were to buy more of the tickets we wouldn't have so many away fans in our arena. ;)

same thing happen in Charlotte for Panthers games. when, Dallas, Washington, Pittsburgh are in town, you cannot tell what team is the home team.

I was told by a Red Wing fan years ago that it is a lot easier for them to get road game tickets than home tickets. I'm sure Raleigh is not the only city that sees this

Wing fans travel well. They're like Cowboy fans in football, Yankee fans in baseball, etc. When a team is really successful for a long period of time, they're going to get fans throughout the country. And while Canes fans have to consider the other 41 games, the Detroit fans down here only have to worry about this one.

There's also the other possibility. I know a guy in front of me said "I'm a Canes fan 81 games throughout the season. This is the one game that I'm not". And it makes sense. You're going to take hockey anyway you get it, but you're always going to follow the team you grew up with. And if they were around during the Original 6 era, Detroit was the closest team to this area.

Is this secretly a Buffalo thread? :rolleyes:

Are you guys aware of how many people live here from Michigan, and have been transferred in by various corporations like Nortel (if that's still even the name)?

Their team they grew up with just won the Cup and this was a chance for them to see them play, why shouldnt they buy tickets and cheer for their team? Many of them are the same people that go to plenty of other Canes game wearing a Canes logo.

Some here have it right IMO, buy the tickets if you dont want opposing fans here. As long as they're respectful, their money is as green as ours and this franchise could use all the ticket sales it can get.

This really should have gone in the GDT as it applies specificaly to this game.

The Wings always have a big crowd, just the way it is. Generally they behave pretty well but they do have their share of jerks like most. Personally, I was more embarrassed by my celebration dance after the idiot scorekeeper had an "accident" and lit the lamp after that block by Conklin. By the way, official attendance was 18.6K and some change.

I'm just glad we sold tickets. If it will make the team money, I can tolerate opponents fans.

Exactly, the color of money is green and we'll accept their green detroit red wings money just as much as we'll take our own green Carolina Hurricanes money. Plus someone else on this thread already mentioned that they are probably 'Canes fans in wolves clothing. I can tolerate a turn coat just as long as it's for a game or two, and as long as they still support the 'Canes when their old team isn't in the building.

We still had a Monday night sellout, which is great

p.s. I saw some annoying little kid last night with a "Michigan" jersey on, who was sitting behind Peter Laviolette and everytime the Camera was on him he would pull at his Michigan jersey and be like woooo.

Man I would have given anything to have been there beside him with an Appalachian State shirt on ;)

Wing fans travel well. They're like Cowboy fans in football, Yankee fans in baseball, etc. When a team is really successful for a long period of time, they're going to get fans throughout the country. And while Canes fans have to consider the other 41 games, the Detroit fans down here only have to worry about this one.

There's also the other possibility. I know a guy in front of me said "I'm a Canes fan 81 games throughout the season. This is the one game that I'm not". And it makes sense. You're going to take hockey anyway you get it, but you're always going to follow the team you grew up with. And if they were around during the Original 6 era, Detroit was the closest team to this area.

Bingo. Entire row of Wings fans behind me last night lived here, and are 'Canes fans for the 81 other games. They even cheered when Wardo made great saves haha.

red sox(recently), yankees, steelers, cowboys, red wings, lakers, these teams have band wagon fans everywhere, its not just here. Teams that win all the time tend to pick up fans of people who have no team because its easy to root for winners. Plus the transplants make it worse here with people from michigan, new york, PA and Boston. If only we didn't have such an awesome place to live and work, sheesh... :P

I'm actually a bit more embarassed by my behavior last night. Being a sore loser is never attractive, even if you've got a load of putzes telling your boyfriend (who is wearing his Lidstrom jersey) that at least he's not wearing a loser's jersey.

I know that Detroit is a popular fan base and I always expect those fans to show up. But last night just seemed big and loud.

I have been to several Slugs games and I know they bring a lot also. But I guess it seems like Canes fans show up for those games to "out shout" them.

I guess I just expected more Canes fans for it being a big night with the black jerseys and only being the third game.

And yes, I know about transplants, I am one. I came from one of those towns that you would never see your rink dominated by other fans. Sorry all, I do not mean to make people mad. I just felt bad for the players who heard the loud celebration when the Wings scored. It sounded like a home game for them.

I'm here as proof that it can be done... I'm a Michigander by birth and a full blooded Caniac by choice. (no, that wasn't me with the sign saying that last night) I grew up loving hockey and the Wings were my team, but when i moved down here I decided that the Wings had a great plenty of fans and I would convert to Caniacism. Do I blame the folks who don't? No way! Could I ever cheer for the Wings over the Canes? Not in a million years! And also, I would never be able to change MY TEAM again. -Caniac4ever!!!!!

It takes a generation to convert a team in a new area over to new loyalties. I grew up in Tampa and was there for their first few years. The Tampa area had a number of transplants and often there were more Packer fans in the stands than Buc fans. The fact the team was boo-awful didn't help.

Move foward thirty years and there is a waiting list for season tickets. As long as "enemy" fans fill the seats, the bills will be paid and the Canes will stay in the area. Give the kids that come ten years or so and they will come back and bring their friends. Add love/marriage and they will bring their families.

Give the kids that come ten years or so and they will come back and bring their friends. Add love/marriage and they will bring their families.
Add love/marriage/....and divorce and the lawyers will buy the luxury suites!! :D

If it weren't for the Detroit fans the place would have been half empty. I would rather not have the huge cheer when the opponent scores, but I'd rather have a full building. Plus it ups the ante a little.

I would rather have it full of Canes fans, but that isn't happening on a Monday night in Raleigh.

The only exception is Slug fans. They represent as drunken obnoxious troglodytes. But the Detroit fans seemed pretty decent.

At least their Red and White blended nicely into the stands...until the Wings scored :lol:

If it weren't for the Detroit fans the place would have been half empty. I would rather not have the huge cheer when the opponent scores, but I'd rather have a full building. Plus it ups the ante a little.

I would rather have it full of Canes fans, but that isn't happening on a Monday night in Raleigh.

The only exception is Slug fans. They represent as drunken obnoxious troglodytes. But the Detroit fans seemed pretty decent.

Yeah I'll take a Wings fan any day over a Sabres fan, no doubt. Michiganders are a bit more civil in general I think, especially over a New Yorker. (ignore the huge generalization I just made :P )

When I moved from Canada to Raleigh I was a huge Montreal fan and only went to games when the Habs were in town. Over the years I slowly went to more games and eventually became an official Caniac during the cup run.

Having new comers to Raleigh cheering for thier "back home" team is OK as long as they are civil. Wings fan behind me last night got a bit under my skin, but then I remembered my old Habs fan days and thought he may well be a budding Caniac. With enough relocated hockey fans to the area, we will eventually fill the RBC every game.

I'm just glad we sold tickets. If it will make the team money, I can tolerate opponents fans.

q4t

of course the players want there to be 18,390 (or however many) Caniacs in the RBC every home game, but that isn't a realistic expectation, and at the end of the day, the most important thing is we're able to continue to AFFORD our roster, so so long as the tickets get sold, I'm not really complaining.

as for fan behavior, and I'm sorry it's so cliche, but it's true: every bunch has it's bad apples.

I have to wonder if there is a type of loop hole in the tickets sold policy for revenue sharing. Neither game was technically a sellout, so is the organization buying the remaining tickets and maybe putting them in the ticketmaster ticket exchange in order to meet the attendance mark to receive the revenue sharing. Sounds good to me

p.s. I saw some annoying little kid last night with a "Michigan" jersey on, who was sitting behind Peter Laviolette and everytime the Camera was on him he would pull at his Michigan jersey and be like woooo.

Man I would have given anything to have been there beside him with an Appalachian State shirt on ;)

I saw that kid on tv and he was getting on my nerves!!! I know he was just trying to get on tv and just about anyone else sitting there would have done the same thing but he still got on my nerves.

I would have been there if I could have. Those that keep mentioning the $9.99 price need to remember that only helps if you live in the area. I'm not getting off work at 5:00 45 min. away and driving there hoping they still have some left. I'll save that for a Sat. game. Even at that price you have to take into account the gas going there and back, 2 tickets $20, $10 parking, and that's not including the cost in food and drinks that you don't have time to get on the way. You could easily spend $50 to $60. That's more than it takes to fill up my Civic. Just because I can't make it doesn't make me any less of a fan than the next person. My decision to put my family first doesn't make me any less of a fan than the next person. This type of thread has been started numerous times and it always irritates me just as much as the first time. If you can afford to go that's great but don't try to make the people that can't feel bad. I know they had to raise the cost of tickets and parking to bring in more money, but I think it was a mistake considering the cost of living is rising. I'm done ranting and I'm sorry if some of you can't see where I'm coming from.

More than half those Detroit fans traveled from Cary. And likely some are Canes STH. Its what happens when jobs in Detroit and Buffalo suck and they all come here.