The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IRISHCANE

Anyone else a little embarrassed

First, it was a Monday night. Triangle is a family place so a early week school night does not always sell out. Second, Detroit is an exit city. It was and still is a very large city but has been bleeding people for 35 years or more. Like Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Those people move to places where there are jobs (uh hum....like Raleigh) and when there team they supported comes to town, they support. There are so many Pittsburgh/centrall PA people in Raleigh it is unbelieable. My uncle, from the Pittsburgh area came down to NC in 1948 and never went back.

If anything, waht the Canes should do is like PHX does with them. Double the prices for that game.

NC and Raleigh is an influx city from all over. I know a guy at work who cheers the canes on in about 15 games a year and supports them and reads and watch but on that day the Red WIngs come to town, he is wearing and cheering for steel toed boot team.

In 25 years when everyone is leaving Raleigh for greener pastures or as a couple of generations turn, you will see it from Canes fans.

In fact, you will see it this weekend in the Kings and Quacks series in greater LA. I will be there.

If anything, waht the Canes should do is like PHX does with them. Double the prices for that game.

But then we'd have 3-4 new threads complaining how that isnt fair to the die hard fans here. ;)

Please dont turn this into a "who's a better fan" thread. Every season we get one and it never ends good. Everyone has different priorities and limitations when it comes to spending and with the economy the way it is, some people just cant spend the extra cash on tickets. Doesnt make them less of a fan because they dont have extra cash to burn or their priorities are elsewhere.

This team needs revenue and on a Monday night when sales a usually slow, if some opposing fans want to come here and fill up our arena, all the power to them. Doesnt mean everyone has to feel as I do, but $ is $ when it comes to this franchise right now.

I think that if the team wins somewhat consistently and keeps playing with a solid effort night after night, people will start to trust in the product again and become more interested in investing their extra cash when they have it. Lets face it, we're die hard fans here for the most part, but the last two seasons have really taken its toll on the casual fans.

One last thing, I know everyone likes getting their opinions out there but take a read through a thread first. There's a ton of posts stating the same thing over and over again. I know it happens a lot when people post at the same time but when there's hours, not minutes in between posts that say exactly the same thing, its obvious the other posts just werent read. We're all sometimes guilty of this, me included, when we have something we want to add to discussion.

What we need to start doing is taking some people with us to the games. The non-hockey fan may flip by it on TV, watch a minute, not understand what is going on, and turn to the next channel. To a non-fan, hockey doesn't translate to TV as well as some other sports. Live hockey on the other hand is the best sporting experience out there. If we can start introducing hockey to some people and explaining the rules during the game, I think we could bring in some new fans.

I've started letting my daughter bring a friend. I'm always trying to drag somebody new to a game. I've even made a hockey fan out of my wife who thinks (or thought) that it is rediculous to fight and it sets a bad example for the children. She says this when my daughter and I are cheering on a Canes player who drops the gloves. I've taken kids to practices where they can get up close to watch and then get an autograph. Then they bug their parents to take them to a game.

We as Hurricanes fans need to do our part. Drag an unwilling friend or family member to a game.

Move foward thirty years and there is a waiting list for season tickets. As long as "enemy" fans fill the seats, the bills will be paid and the Canes will stay in the area. Give the kids that come ten years or so and they will come back and bring their friends. Add love/marriage and they will bring their families.

This is so right. It takes time for a fanbase

Regarding the 9.99 tickets, they only sell on the day of the game, and start selling at 10:00am. i went friday morning at 11, and they had been sold out for 40 minutes. I went Monday at 10:15, waited in line, and got the last 6 at 10:25. So those sell out really quickly, it seems. As the season goes on, however, they'll probably start selling out later and later.

As much as the opposing teams' fans annoy me being there, it is ultimately good for the 'Canes organization for them to be there if they help us sell out the arena, particularly on a night we wouldn't normally sell out (like a Monday night in early October).

I hope that playing less games against Southeast Division and more against EC and WC teams - even though its only a handful - well help fill the RBC more often. There just aren't a lot of Thrasher fans or Panthers fans around here - period (for good reason of course! :rolleyes: ) But, there are a lot of transplanted Canadians, mid-westerners, and New Englanders who will come support "their" teams when they play here. And, as several others have mentioned, a lot of those in the stands on Monday are 'Canes fans for the other 81 games.

In this economy, I was glad to see the stands full on a Monday night. Although I wish more people would have booed when the Wings scored. ;)

Having suffered through the first several years of non-existent ticket sales and attendance, I'm not embarrassed by this at all. Jeez, a Monday night "official" sell-out. Now that IS embarrassing.

I'm glad their "wing money" helped fill the building up providing revenue. Of course I hate that they were loud enough that it was almost a wing home game but it is to be expected. They are an original six team with loyal, diehard fans all over the US. At least they showed more class and sportmanship than we see from the slug fans. We are still building tradition here and hopefully it will get better every year. I love the Canes and if I could afford more than the 12 game package I would be at more games. You can bet if I'm not there I am watching on t.v. if it is televised. I thought we hung with the champs pretty well. As long as they leave it all on the ice I am proud of them win or lose.

I agree with the others. It takes awhile for a fanbase to grow. Its not going to happen over night. Shoot, look at Buffalo. They've had a team for what 40 some years and when Toronto comes to town that arena is split 50/50. It happens in all arenas and it shouldn't be an embarrassment.

Frankly I'd rather have the arena full with 30-40% of the opposing fans, then having it look like Phillips Arena did last night. Man that place was empty.

The four Redwing fans behind me were State students. They love hockey and the one kid said he had his mom ship him his sweater so he could wear it to the game.

Full seats and the team makes money. Hopefully my ticket price does not go up next year and my seat will be filled by me.

As you know I work at the RBC Center and the crowd I served was half/half. Of course some of them were in Red Wings jerseys (you know who you are) who normally cheer for the Canes. I find that whenever anyone's home town comes to play, they switch alliances for the one night. It is ok. Canes are only 11 years old (not counting being Whalers before), Wings are one of the original six! Yes, their money spends the same as our money. It was great to see fans from both sides. They do behave (for the most part) much better than that other team (they know who they are, too). Most of the Wings fans currently live here and are happy to be able to see their team play since it is hard to get tickets up there. I will be traveling to see an away game and wherever I go, they will be happy to take my money, too. Of course, I will be in a Canes jersey!

I liked having all the Red Wings fans there. The atmosphere was great for talking trash. This added to the game. Chants such as: 'Go Home Red Wings', 'Lets Go Bailout', 'Lets Go GM' got a few of them riled up. I graduated from App State so seeing people wearing Michigan shirts gave me the opportunity to remind them about the biggest upset in college football history.

It freaked me out when the Wings first scored. I clearly saw the puck in the back of the net but thought I must have missed the goal being waved off or something due to the loud response, then it hit me, there were thousands of whing fans in attendance.

I graduated from App State so seeing people wearing Michigan shirts gave me the opportunity to remind them about the biggest upset in college football history.

Classic! Unless they were MSU Fans!

As I said in the topic headline "A little". That was all I am saying. I just expected more Canes fans.

They were there...............wearing their Wings jersey's. Wolves in sheeps clothing.

I was "tailgating" (if you saw two canes fans with a throw away grill and no car that was me and my friend) and these two red wings fans behind me were saying they are die hard canes fans and STH but when the wings come into town they are wings fans. Though there were some fans next to me heckling canes fans, telling us to go back to Greensboro.

If the canes perform the same way they started off last season (if I remember correctly we had a great start including that 3 game canada trip) we should see a good amount of fans come in hopefully.

As much as I dislike the Wings and Slugs fans acting like they do, I have to think that the vast majority are economic refugees. They're probably Canes fans for the other 41 games. There simply CAN"T be that many of those fans who drive or fly or bus to Raleigh for a game. That said, Ive asked myself the question "What would I do if I grew up on Canes hockey and then was transferred to Chicago or Dallas or wherever?" Wanting to watch hockey, I'd probably buy tickets to the local games and support the home team. And what would I do when the Canes came to town? Pull out one of my Canes jerseys, of course.

Just echoing what a lot of people already said. These people didn't travel from freaking Detroit. They're from the Triangle. I just wish more of them would show up at the arena and support the local team when Detroit isn't in town.

Just echoing what a lot of people already said. These people didn't travel from freaking Detroit. They're from the Triangle. I just wish more of them would show up at the arena and support the local team when Detroit isn't in town.

The caniac I sleep with talked to some Wings fans in line going in. The were all from the triangle.

The four Redwing fans behind me were State students. They love hockey and the one kid said he had his mom ship him his sweater so he could wear it to the game.

Full seats and the team makes money. Hopefully my ticket price does not go up next year and my seat will be filled by me.

When I was at State the first time back in 98 half my dorm was from NY.. Out of State tuition here cheaper then In State SUNY tuition up there. Of course in 99 the Canes come to town and the building fills up with Buffalo fans cause half of NC State campus (it seems like) is from upstate NY.

I mentioned in the other thread, the guys next to us that were screaming during the national anthem.. that annoyed me.. but they pretty much behaved well the rest of the game. Other than walking up and down the stairs every 3 minutes to get a new beer and then being baffled when half way through the third period they got refused one. They seemed to be cheering for both teams.. not sure if they were local Caniacs from Detroit and like both teams or if they were just enjoying the game as a whole.. We nearly score and they'd be like "Oh man!" then Detroit rings one off the post and there like "Did you see that?!".. maybe they were too drunk to tell which team was which.. who knows.. they seems to be enjoying the hits and the shots, regardless of which team it was from.. and I did notice a bunch of other people cheering for both teams. Heck here in NC.. i watched the red wings before the Canes existed, since I had friends in Detroit, and they were on national TV... all thier games (back then) were on ESPN. Plus with our old satelitte we probably had SportsDetroit or something on some channel...

As long as they arent 90% of the fans in our arena.. It doesnt bother me.. your never gonna have full control of your arena, cause even if you fill it with Canes fans, your gonna have guys that grew up elsewhere, or became a fan of another team when thier favorite player moved there, and so when Ladd comes back you see a bunch of Chicago jerseys in the arena etc... its always going to happen. During the 05-06 season I went to two games against Montreal (one in December, one in 1st round of playoffs) and both times I'm waiting in line and there are guys in line in front of me in Habs jersey talking to each other in rapid fire, 90 MPH native french. The phrase "you ain't from around here" isnt strong enough for these guys. Now I actually respected these guys because they TRAVELLED and travelled far... That shows dedication.. and how hard do you think those playoff tickets were to get? I bet they paid a fortune to come to that Game 5 in Raleigh, and it wasnt even a game to decide the series.

Its a simple fact (that gets repeated here) that a lot of Cane's fans are from other areas and fans of other teams.. but they are fans of hockey in general and they support the local product. So many times I see a dad in a Flyers jersey with two or three kids all in Canes jerseys. The kids of the transplants are full blooded Caniacs. When they grow up and have kids and bring the kids to games, then we may see a higher percent of canes fans in the arena.. and like a bunch of people said.. a lot of these guys are fans of us most of the year.. but those 2 nights we play Philly.. etc... I will be the same way if I move away from NC... I love hockey enough I want to watch it no matter what.. so if I move to Chicago.. I will go to Chicago games.. and probably (over time) become a Chicago fan.. but if they ever play against the Canes... I will be there with the red on. Of course with Chicago I can cheer for Chicago and Canes at the same time with Ladd and C.Adams playing there, and thier tickets are dirt cheap. Thats one of the reasons I hope to move to that area, but of course I'll have to take a job whereever its offered to me.

IMO,,,I think you guys are missing the point that IRISHCANE is trying to get across... Alot of you guys just want to argue and all he was saying is that WE AS FANS SHOULD SUPPORT OUR TEAM!!! better than we do. Not a slam on anyone.!!I am a transplant as well and i have completly converted to a Canes fan.So i understand where he is coming from. If you have never lived in another city that has a Professional team its hard for you to understand that the home team NEVER gets "outfanned" in their house!!!

PS- maybe my new word (outfanned) will end up in websters someday!!! :blink::unsure:

IMO,,,I think you guys are missing the point that IRISHCANE is trying to get across... Alot of you guys just want to argue and all he was saying is that WE AS FANS SHOULD SUPPORT OUR TEAM!!! better than we do. Not a slam on anyone.!!I am a transplant as well and i have completly converted to a Canes fan.So i understand where he is coming from. If you have never lived in another city that has a Professional team its hard for you to understand that the home team NEVER gets "outfanned" in their house!!!

PS- maybe my new word (outfanned) will end up in websters someday!!! :blink::unsure:

Being a transplant you should know that pro sports in the north is the be all end all and team loyalty is hard to break. I still believe that karmanos, before deciding to relocate here, was depending on the transplants to fill the arena regardless of where their loyalties lie. A generation will have to pass before born and raised Canes fans can fill the arena.

If you have never lived in another city that has a Professional team its hard for you to understand that the home team NEVER gets "outfanned" in their house!!!

Before the term "outfanned" ends up in any dictionary, I would ask you to define it first, specifically in the context of Monday night game. How exactly did the Wings fans outfan