The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Alan-Call

Tanabe gone...

I think the reason he's fallen off the planet is because his situation is a lot worse than we realize. A friend of mine that works for the Canes said that he's living with his parents, can't drive a car, can't do the normal, daily mundane tasks that we all take for granted. So give it a rest........ We should be wishing him a speedy recovery.

i just wish the guy or the canes organization would be more clear about whats going on with him.

I think the organization has been very clear about what is going on with Tanabe: He has suffered a career ending injury. Any details beyond that is nobody's business. The Canes know more information but they are respecting the man's privacy. Perhaps the fans should follow their lead.

I agree, it over and in the past now, but my last 2 cents is if Tanabe had properly communicated with the team last spring, this would have got less press and been a done issue alot earlier.

personally, i havent heard much of anything. only what other people are saying on the board. if they " the organization" wants to keep it private. Thats fine. I wish nothing for the best for the guy. Im just finding odd that it has been kept under the table....so to speak.

I don't see how any of you can honestly debate whether or not Tanabe is actually hurt. You know its every hockey player's dream to play in the NHL, why would he just give it up. He isn't able to play, he has been forced out of the sport he loves to play and you think he's faking it? Why would anyone want to fake an injury so that they can no longer receive the extremely large paychecks and no longer be able to play a sport as their occupation. Honestly, how could anyone think that?

Honestly are you familar with Welfare... Thousands of people getting checks and food stamps every month for doing absolutely nothing instead of working for a living many of whom are perfectly capable of working...It's just easier to not work and get paid.

He may very well be hurt... How bad?? Who knows... Honestly sometimes player lose the will to play; Can you say Jeff Oneill???

Honestly have you ever heard of Insurance Fraud? You know faking an injury in order to get a check?

Call me crazy for debating with you on the finer points of why I could be skeptical of someone's motivation ;) .

All I know is that he was allegedly injured and managed to do some things and have people take him places (restaurants, shopping, and a wedding out of town) just not to his bosses office when they requested he come in or Phone in. If you file a workmans comp claim in the state of NC you are required to receive periodic medical evaluations and to stay in contact with your employer. CBA aside this should be no different but for whatever reason DT did not want to submit to the CH team doctors or meet with JR. I hope that he can live with how he treated the organization and team that gave him a second chance.

I'm pretty sure Tanabe got checked out by doctors before he retired. You guys may not like Tanabe but the conspiracy theory "I don't think he is really hurt" *edit* makes me sick.

I'm pretty sure Tanabe got checked out by doctors before he retired. You guys may not like Tanabe but the conspiracy theory "I don't think he is really hurt" *edit* makes me sick.

It isn't so much that TH24 as all the secrecy, not like he was ever our star player just a pretty boy defenseman who never panned out in hockey. He wasn't under the league insurance policy which is why the canes wanted to buy him out. I am assuming this way is easier to swallow. I wish him the best and if he is faking it then we all know "you get what you give in life".

It isn't so much that TH24 as all the secrecy, not like he was ever our star player just a pretty boy defenseman who never panned out in hockey. He wasn't under the league insurance policy which is why the canes wanted to buy him out. I am assuming this way is easier to swallow. I wish him the best and if he is faking it then we all know "you get what you give in life".

He can't be "faking it" it has to go through the NHLPA AND be signed off on by the NHL so I am pretty sure somewhere down the line someone was like "Hey...let's make sure a doctor checks this out."

I guess some of you won't be happy until you know every single detail of his situation and exactly what tasks he can't do that is preventing him from playing.

He can't be "faking it" it has to go through the NHLPA AND be signed off on by the NHL so I am pretty sure somewhere down the line someone was like "Hey...let's make sure a doctor checks this out."

I guess some of you won't be happy until you know every single detail of his situation and exactly what tasks he can't do that is preventing him from playing.

Now in everyone's defense here, when a player goes down we tend to know way too much info. When Cole went down from being blindsided by Orpik there must have been 8 gazillion videos, news articles, professional analysis, etc. We probably knew more than Erik did. LOL But on this particular situation there is nada. The only concrete thing we have is "what appears" to be a "dodge" by Tanabe when it comes to addressing the team about it. It sort of makes sense in that if he "dodges" the team then it is his word against theirs that he is injured and as long as he delays it he gets a paycheck. He wasn't under the umbrella policy that teams have to cover their "star" players so this was costing PK. I for one am glad the issue is resolved and hope it has minimal impact on the cap.

That's sad to hear that his career is over. Even though he wasn't really a favorite player of mine, he still had my respect. I just couldn't imagine hearing a Doctor telling me that my career is over in something that I love to do that is my dream. I would just rather be dead if that ever happened to me. Instead of hearing those words.

We have to draw conclusions on what we have been told and what was going on at the time.

If you all recall Tanabe didn't want to sign a new contract with us because we would not give him the 1.2 million he was asking for so he went out as a free agent, nobody offered him anything. He changed agents and was invited to St. Louis's camp and was let go. He sat around for a few weeks with no offers and then we offered him a 2 way contract for

100,000 in the minors and 900,000 in the NHL. He did play in Albany for a while and was called up with our injuries to Commodore (fx fingers) in the fall & early winter of 2007. Tripp Tracy reported in the middle of December that Commodore would be back the 1st game in January of 2008 and in all liklyhood Tanabe would be sent back to Albany. People were bashing Tanabe's game playing when Commodore was out.

During a game in the 2nd or 3rd week in December 2007 Tanabe had a check on him into the glass with him standing with no fall in the 2nd period (I had this game on DVR until recently and watched that several times and it was not anything unusal or brutal, was not even mentioned when it happened by John or Tripp). There was no mention of injury, he did not play in the 3rd period. Tripp mentioned in the post game report that Tanabe was checked into the glass came out of the game, went back in for 1 shift, came out and told Friesen he was feeling dizzy and left the game. He was never seen again by the hockey world.

We were given the N&O reports that his wife stated he was too ill to come out of the house, get in a car, go to the grocery store from his dizziness. There was no talk about it from the organiztion during the entire season, even John and Tripp never talked about it. It was very strange since players injuries are always talking points in pre and post game shows.

If you all recall JR came out in an interview at the end of the season in a news conference about the team and the future of the team and was asked about Tanabe and he called him out on it, which we all know JR will do when he is frustrated with certain people (ask Lavi, Friesen etc). He reported to the media that Tanabe had not returned his calls, did not show up for his post season interview and had been checked by the team's physicians and cleared, but Tanabe wanted to get a 2nd opinion and that was where we were with that.

I read and do not recall where I read it that Tanabe got a 2nd opinion from a physician in Buffalo, NY that it was not safe to play (amazing that he could make his way to Buffalo but not JR's office). We know he made it to somebody's office to get his 2nd opinion not to play. Well I work with neurologists and they will tell you that if a patient tells them that they are dizzy and are afraid to play hockey and will feel they will injure themself if they do play, that doctor is not going to say it is safe for him to play, he will have to say it is not safe because if Tanabe went on the ice and injured himself, who do you think he's going to sue besides the team?

My personal conclusions or opinion for which I have a right to have from everything I have read about this situation is Tanabe was a player who saw his NHL hockey days were coming to an end, knew he was soon going back to Albany with the $100,000 salary vs the $900,000 salary with little chance on being called back to NHL status. Now it may be a coincidence and all with the way it all played that he had a career ending injury that could not be proved or disproved (concussion) during an NHL game with the $900,000 on the table and was soon going to be sent back to the minors. I think he was a father who was feeling desperate to provide for his family the way they were use to living and did what he thought he had to do for that.

I'm just saying...

I'm just saying...

You may be right, but don't you think that the Hurricanes could pay an investigator to check on Tanabe's activity and if he was doing other stuff, there would be pictures and videos that J.R. would love to show all of us? I know companies investigate instances of worker's compensation fraud and I would think that if the proof was there, the organization would be glad to share it with us to back their side or either it would end up in court.

You may be right, but don't you think that the Hurricanes could pay an investigator to check on Tanabe's activity and if he was doing other stuff, there would be pictures and videos that J.R. would love to show all of us? I know companies investigate instances of worker's compensation fraud and I would think that if the proof was there, the organization would be glad to share it with us to back their side or either it would end up in court.

Thats a good point, but I'm sure he thought of that and waited it out in the house, it was worth almost a million dollars to him to stay in. The only stipulation that was released to the media was he couldn't play hockey again. It didn't say he couldn't go out of the house now that they have settled and have a life doing other things. He claimed he couldn't play hockey safely, if he continued to claim he couldn't function in the real world doing anything he would have gotten a much more substantial settlement and then opened himself up to being investigated. The settlement only paid him his salary over 3 years that he claimed he could have made barring the injury and it only stated he could never play hockey again (by what was reported in the media) . It was not reported that he could not go out now with another career and be a coach, trainer etc., because there's really nothing anyone could do about it now.

For the record. I met Tanabe at Skating the Canes 2 years ago and he was the absolute nicest, kindest hockey player I have ever met. Just a gem of a man. I always liked him as a hockey player and defended him in most threads. I'm just calling it like I see it. I really do hope the best for him and his family and wish him all the best.

I agree with TH24, some of the comments on this thread show no compassion. Either through compassion or evidence, the team and Peter Karmanos reached a settlement with Tanabe outside of an arbitration hearing. Its not your money, my money, but PK's money. Since he gave the go ahead for JR and the legal team to make a settlement, he is fine with it.

i doubt the team would micro manage players that way plus their may be rules in the CBA that stipulate the NHLPA be contacted prior to any investigation. Sports teams do not necessarily play by the same rules as the rest of us. Plus it would just be bad PR when it comes getting other players to play here if you have an organization that uses P.I.'s to snoop. You also have to look at the relatively small dollar amount of the contract, if it was Staal and his $5mil+ then you would understand it but Tanabe's salary was chump change in the scheme of things. It was cheaper all the way around to pay him $280,000 a year than to investigate, micro manage, and deal with the PR fallout with players and fans.

i doubt the team would micro manage players that way plus their may be rules in the CBA that stipulate the NHLPA be contacted prior to any investigation. Sports teams do not necessarily play by the same rules as the rest of us. Plus it would just be bad PR when it comes getting other players to play here if you have an organization that uses P.I.'s to snoop. You also have to look at the relatively small dollar amount of the contract, if it was Staal and his $5mil+ then you would understand it but Tanabe's salary was chump change in the scheme of things. It was cheaper all the way around to pay him $280,000 a year than to investigate, micro manage, and deal with the PR fallout with players and fans.

I don't consider that micro management. A million bucks (or close to it anyways) is still a million bucks. If the organization thought there was any chance of proving fraud, I'm sure they would pursue it. I work for the 2nd largest, non-military employer in the nation and we deal with unions. We have removed and prosecuted employees that were fraudulently claiming workmans comp and then doing stuff like working other jobs. Trust me, these aren't million dollar jobs I am talking about.

There may be something to the NHLPA contract to address this, but I don't know. You also may be right on the other player's opinion on this, but if I were a player who had been busting my hump for the last year and a fellow player had been faking it, I'd say he got what was coming to him. Also, I don't think there would be any backlash from the fans if proof came out that he was "faking it". If that is the case, he would be "stealing", and the public wouldn't have any tolerance of that. Most of the people buying tickets are just hard working folks.

Do not think that I am accusing David Tanabe of anything. I have always said that we didn't have enough information to accuse him of anything. All we have are a few statements from J.R.

Should call in mythbusters who recently went through all the myths on the first lunar landing lol...

Let jaime check adam into the glass, Today on mythbusters we see if you can get a concussion from a routine hit along the boards.

Please carry on though this topic's making me lol, same as the River Rats logo is being copied topic. People getting THIS upset about an issue they got no information on is hilarious...

Hey, Fallen make a debate topic on wether the first Lunar Landing actually happened should be a LOL :)

Only thing not funny about all this is the butt of the joke, he may be hurt JUST as much as he may not be. Innocent until proven guilty doesnt seem to apply for the posters here.

Only thing not funny about all this is the butt of the joke, he may be hurt JUST as much as he may not be. Innocent until proven guilty doesnt seem to apply for the posters here.

Which is exactly the point that I've been trying to make concerning Tanabe the whole time. We just don't know and I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was just saying that if management really thought they had a case, I think they would have proven it. The end result is, we don't know.

Live long and prosper, David Tanabe.

Ok--they find that Tanabe is really faking it--what happens then? You put him back on the ice--is that really what you want? Sure they would waive him and he would go to Albany to sit for the season. But the Canes owe him the money regardless. Better for the Canes to have 3 years to pay it then all in one year. And even better for everybody that Tanabe is not on the ice for the Canes if he really doesn't want to be.

Ok--they find that Tanabe is really faking it--what happens then? You put him back on the ice--is that really what you want? Sure they would waive him and he would go to Albany to sit for the season. But the Canes owe him the money regardless. Better for the Canes to have 3 years to pay it then all in one year. And even better for everybody that Tanabe is not on the ice for the Canes if he really doesn't want to be.

because it is a settlement, it is a done deal now and irrelevant. If he has a miraculous recover and plays again then so be it. The team handled it properly and life moves on.

In my eyes, the fact that he isn't signing abroad is also good evidence that he can no longer play hockey. I am sure if he wanted to, he could get a contract over there. (After all, Crackers got one :P)

Should call in mythbusters who recently went through all the myths on the first lunar landing lol...

Let jaime check adam into the glass, Today on mythbusters we see if you can get a concussion from a routine hit along the boards.

Please carry on though this topic's making me lol, same as the River Rats logo is being copied topic. People getting THIS upset about an issue they got no information on is hilarious...

Hey, Fallen make a debate topic on wether the first Lunar Landing actually happened should be a LOL :)

The fact that he may or may not REALLY be injured isn't really my beef... DT didn't meet with the team or do anything besides turtle behind "I'm too injured to come in or phone in..." when asked to by the team and his employer.

I'm quite sure that is on advice of his agent but just isn't a very stand up move IMHO. Unless he was in a coma he could call and as I said he managed to do other things.

The fact that he may or may not REALLY be injured isn't really my beef... DT didn't meet with the team or do anything besides turtle behind "I'm too injured to come in or phone in..." when asked to by the team and his employer.

I'm quite sure that is on advice of his agent but just isn't a very stand up move IMHO. Unless he was in a coma he could call and as I said he managed to do other things.

I dunno how he can turtle behind any statement when the only person who did the talking for him was JR. Which would be a fairly biased source.

I dunno how he can turtle behind any statement when the only person who did the talking for him was JR. Which would be a fairly biased source.

:lol: Fair enough and good point... He hasn't released ANY comment ( again I am sure on advice of his Attorney/ Agent) but he managed to drag his butt over to RBC center to clean out his locker. Could he have ridden the elevator upstairs to JRs office? Maybe JR was out to lunch when he stopped by.