The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canefan248

Goalie Situation

While true, the Canes have had some problems n defense, it is just as true that Cam has allowed some untimely goals and far too many soft goals. Last season there were a number of late third period goals that Cam allowed that were squarely on him. As close as the Canes were to making the playoffs, if he had not allowed even on or two of those goals, the Canes likely would have made the playoffs. This should be a watershed year for Cam. Either his performance improves or the Canes should start looking for someone else.

W I N S Cam was top 5 in WINS last season....who cares about save %age and goals against when you have W. I. N. S.

enough said on this..............

These C. Ward threads always play out the same. The last thing the Ward appolgists always bring up is wins. Cam was #5 in wins in the league. If you think Cam was the #5 goalie in the NHL last year then maybe you're right.

These C. Ward threads always play out the same. The last thing the Ward appolgists always bring up is wins. Cam was #5 in wins in the league. If you think Cam was the #5 goalie in the NHL last year then maybe you're right.

Apologists, if your gonna try to get political and break the forum down into two groups at least spell the word your attempting to use correctly.

Secondly, these threads play out exactly the same because just like all the threads before the people who believe Cam sucked last year say the exact same thing over and over. These prompt the exact same responses, nothing changed in two months. The season didn't start and there is nothing new to debate on, however for some reason this is our fifth topic on the subject. What did you expect? Someone to say something that wasn't already beaten down in the previous five the only thing thats new in this thread is your word for all the people who oppose your opinion.

Very true, another testament to his skill is if you look at the style of goaltending today vs. when Brodeur became an elite goalie in the league, you'll notice a big difference. Brodeur has been able to adapt his game to the new style and because of his skill is still an elite goalie in the league.

Broduer was an elite goalie up until a few years ago. I don't think hes all that great anymore. and lets be hnest...its easy to be a great goalie when had the best defense in the NHL on your side. It may not have been like that when he started, but it sure was from 00-06.

on a side note. Looking at the goaltending in the SE division, the Canes have one of the better duo's.

Apologists, if your gonna try to get political and break the forum down into two groups at least spell the word your attempting to use correctly.

Secondly, these threads play out exactly the same because just like all the threads before the people who believe Cam sucked last year say the exact same thing over and over. These prompt the exact same responses, nothing changed in two months. The season didn't start and there is nothing new to debate on, however for some reason this is our fifth topic on the subject. What did you expect? Someone to say something that wasn't already beaten down in the previous five the only thing thats new in this thread is your word for all the people who oppose your opinion.

Well can't claim to be a great speller, but clearly that was a typo. Still rather get the spelling wrong than the opinion.

Here's something new. I have copied it from my post on another thread. If you follow the link on the "Found this to be Interesting" thread you can see the statistics for yourself.

What I found most interesting from this is the issue of defense and goaltending. We have another and countless other threads about Cam Ward where people defend his play primarily by claiming that the defense was bad. This guy assesses our defense by number and qualitiy of shots allowed as nearly dead center #14. But he actually names Carolina as one of the bottom teams in "contribution by the goaltender" and ranks our goaltending as 4th from last in the league.

This is for the entire year, and clearly Cam started and finished strong. This should make it clear that he really flailed in the middle of the season. I have suspected that Cam's poor midseason play may have been the primary reason for the team's struggles. This supports that possibility.

Cam plays average the last two seasons, we make the playoffs both years. Nobody from the Canes will ever say this, but it is true.

Despite all of this, I do believe in Cam. He has shown stretches of greatness. He is young. Hopefully this year he will get that consistancy.

OK, now I am going to lay off these Cam threads and go study the dictionary.

Umm, no one intelligent questioned his ability. :lol:

HMMM. Why does that not apply to CAM? Perhaps it does.

Sorry could not resist.

Umm, no one intelligent questioned his ability. :lol:

Some of the TV talking heads questioned if he was going to live up to the expectations of a #1 overall pick. Now I'm not going to get into a debate over the TV people's questionable intelligence but there were people questioning whether Fleury would ever really live up to expectations.

Fluery is supposed to be the next Roy, when people set their standards that high they are really leaving themselves open for disappointment.

Which is why it's impossible to be a goalie in Philly unless Hextall comes out of retirement.

Personally, I am excited about the goalie situation this year. New backup thats promising. Hopefully Leighty is capable. Would love to see Ward take it up a notch as well. Maybe having a night off occasionally will help. Of course, only time will tell.

Personally, I am excited about the goalie situation this year. New backup thats promising. Hopefully Leighty is capable. Would love to see Ward take it up a notch as well. Maybe having a night off occasionally will help. Of course, only time will tell.

Leighton did a great job in Albany last year "when" he was playing every night. I'm hoping he is going to be able to stay sharp playing once in a while. That is the possible problem I see. Cam needs to be the guy, but on last years performance, he probably needs a night off here and there. Leighton will have to provide that relief, and I hope it is consistent, and not what we had last year. Can he stay in that rhythm while sitting on the bench a lot?

Hey all. Just read the first post, so if I'm echoing what's already been said, so be it.

As stated often last year and the year before, Cam was making a very difficult transition those two years. Not only was he going from being the Canes backup goalie to their number-one, but he was doing it AFTER reaching the pinnacle of his sport. Cam's success in leading his team to the Stanley Cup turned the common route to that acheivement upside-down. He went from being very healthy all that year (due in part to his backup status) and champing at the bit to get into games, to not only getting into games but getting into the biggest games anybody dreams of playing.

We all know the result!

The past two years have been about two things: (1) Cam learning how to get mentally prepared for the grind of playing a WHOLE LOT more often than not, and (2) the Canes not having a decent keeper when Cam needed a break. (Forgive me, Grahame fans, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.)

Bottom line: In my opinion, we've now got the best of both worlds: a backup (Leighton) who is is fundamentally sound and therefore ready for NHL-caliber play, and Cam Ward, who knows what he has to do to remain #1. I think we're going to see some excellent goaltending this year, no matter who is between the pipes.

Leighton did a great job in Albany last year "when" he was playing every night. I'm hoping he is going to be able to stay sharp playing once in a while. That is the possible problem I see. Cam needs to be the guy, but on last years performance, he probably needs a night off here and there. Leighton will have to provide that relief, and I hope it is consistent, and not what we had last year. Can he stay in that rhythm while sitting on the bench a lot?

Oh I agree, but that's the situation with every backup. You don't play every night, otherwise you're not the backup.

Oh I agree, but that's the situation with every backup. You don't play every night, otherwise you're not the backup.

Which is exactly my point. Leighton did a great job as a starter last year, so the gaping hole may be at backup goalie, IF he doesn't adapt well to that role.

Fluery is supposed to be the next Roy, when people set their standards that high they are really leaving themselves open for disappointment.

Which is why it's impossible to be a goalie in Philly unless Hextall comes out of retirement.

OMG! Say it isn't so! I went to a Rangers game in 1994 when the Islanders were at MSG and Hextall was their goalie that year. The crowd just kept chanting: Hextalllllllll, Hextallllllllllllllll..........for minutes at a time. No "you suck" at the end, just the chant. Hextall did manage to get a good stick poke to Adam Graves in front of the net.

Hextall being another Conn Smythe winner his rookie year. And his career stats aren't very flattering. However, I would have like to have seen Hextall's reaction if Sean Avery danced in front of his net!!! Playoffs or not, Hextall would have whacked him. Priceless!

So everyone,,what are your thoughts on this situation now??Cam is not playing up to his potential and Leighton is playing UP to his potential.I know alot of you are huge Cam fans but you have to agree that Micheal is playing alot better than Cam at this time..So who get the next start,,i say Leighton should ,,he has earned it!!!

So everyone,,what are your thoughts on this situation now??Cam is not playing up to his potential and Leighton is playing UP to his potential.I know alot of you are huge Cam fans but you have to agree that Micheal is playing alot better than Cam at this time..So who get the next start,,i say Leighton should ,,he has earned it!!!

Right now, i wouldn't say Cam is playin worse than Michael, throughout all the games we had solid goaltending. As I said month before: I think it would help both of'em if we'd just go with a 2 goalie system for the regular season.

I like how you conviently forget the Red Wings game <_<

Leighton played against, statistically, one of the worst offenses in the league. He got extremely lucky with a couple post hits and a goal line stand. He's also the worst puck handler I've ever seen. He could be surrounded by Canes players and still manage to find a way to pass it to an opposing player. Heck, even one of the highlights shows it.

He got the win, and that's great. But he's never going to be anything more than a backup.

Leighton has gotten the W's when called upon and last night was a game he stole...something we never got from Grahame. Stat wise he has been 'alot better that Cam' so far, but he's also put up those stats against teams ranked 27th in the league in scoring (Anaheim) and dead last in the league in scoring (Tampa). With a four game road trip still left, I would start Cam against Pittsburgh (otherwise he wouldn't have played in more than a week). Then start Leights against the low scoring Islanders (currently ranked 26th). Cam almost always seems to play well in Montreal, so he'll start there. And whoever has played the best gets the nod in St. Louis. How's that dj?

(Let me get under cover before you reply! :P )

Do we have perfect goalies? No. However, I am definitely impressed so far. This is the best pair of goalies we've had since the cup run. I still want Gerber back. We do finally have some amount of depth as far as goalies. I think Cam will get the next start.

I like how you conviently forget the Red Wings game <_<

Leighton played against, statistically, one of the worst offenses in the league. He got extremely lucky with a couple post hits and a goal line stand. He's also the worst puck handler I've ever seen. He could be surrounded by Canes players and still manage to find a way to pass it to an opposing player. Heck, even one of the highlights shows it.

He got the win, and that's great. But he's never going to be anything more than a backup.

I didn't mention any games i just feel that Cam isn't playing well.He has given up 11 goals i believe. Cam just doesn't look like he has the fire in his play the Leighton does.Just my opinion. You don't get into the playoffs by stats you get there by points and IMO Cam just isn't getting it done right now. As far as the puck handling comment i don't agree with you at all. Alot of this stuff that you guys are saying about Leighton this year is the same stuff that was said about Cam when Gerbs was here and Cam was a backup! Bottom line is ,i think Leighton is more on his game at this point. Cam still gives up soft goals early in the game and has been for a couple seasons now. Don't get me wrong i like Cam but he just seems to be struggling and maybe Leightons good play will light a fire under him.

Leighton has gotten the W's when called upon and last night was a game he stole...something we never got from Grahame. Stat wise he has been 'alot better that Cam' so far, but he's also put up those stats against teams ranked 27th in the league in scoring (Anaheim) and dead last in the league in scoring (Tampa). With a four game road trip still left, I would start Cam against Pittsburgh (otherwise he wouldn't have played in more than a week). Then start Leights against the low scoring Islanders (currently ranked 26th). Cam almost always seems to play well in Montreal, so he'll start there. And whoever has played the best gets the nod in St. Louis. How's that dj?

(Let me get under cover before you reply! :P )

Hey i i'm just glad we are talking hockey, we all have our opinions and thats what this is for. In the past Lavs seems to like to stay with whom is hot and Leighton IMO is playing better right now!!

Does that work Red?? ;) lol

no covers needed accept for the chill in the air :D

I say ride the hot hand for now.. go with Leighton.

Though I do not know. I just hope Cam has the cojones to be able to weather Leighton playing well and not lose confidence in him self, like hockey players tend to do often if they think their coach/team does not have confidence in them.

I say start WARD at pittsburg and see how he does he didnt look like he enjoyed sitting on the bench last night and watching the team win without him on the ice. I like ward he is a good goalie but if you start playing soft you go to the bench. I like our goalie situation now better than last year. I like the switching out evrey other game keeps them fresh and both of them will stay active at stopping pucks. they both have played pretty good so far. I hope we can keep playing as a team and winning

I say ride the hot hand for now.. go with Leighton.

Though I do not know. I just hope Cam has the cojones to be able to weather Leighton playing well and not lose confidence in him self, like hockey players tend to do often if they think their coach/team does not have confidence in them.

Who knows, maybe Cam may even play better as a back up goalie. He did during the cup run. My guess is they start Cam in Pittsburgh. But, Im with you, go with what is working now which is Leighton.