The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canefan248

Goalie Situation

Is this confirmed or your prediction? The Hurricanes website today:

"Coming off victories on the strength of dominant efforts from their second-string goaltenders, Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward should be back in net Thursday night when the Penguins host the Hurricanes at Mellon Arena."

Not saying you're wrong just wondering if it has been announced, or is speculation.

I don't know where Caniac247 saw speculation about Leight's starting, but I saw it in Chip's 10/22 LSB blog. Chip, however, hasn't quite got that blog and hockey thing all figured out yet....

I don't know where Caniac247 saw speculation about Leight's starting, but I saw it in Chip's 10/22 LSB blog. Chip, however, hasn't quite got that blog and hockey thing all figured out yet....

Reading that, Lavi did say that he felt Leighton "stood on his head". From that point of view rewarding him with another start makes sense. I predicted that Cam would sit early if he kept letting in early goals and Leighton played well, but I didn't really think it would be this early. If Leighton plays well tonight we will have a full blown goalie battle (controversy).

Cam must be bumming.

Reading that, Lavi did say that he felt Leighton "stood on his head". From that point of view rewarding him with another start makes sense. I predicted that Cam would sit early if he kept letting in early goals and Leighton played well, but I didn't really think it would be this early. If Leighton plays well tonight we will have a full blown goalie battle (controversy).

Cam must be bumming.

Why would Cam be bumming if he has some competition? If it doesn't bring out the best in him then he doesn't deserve the No. 1 label.

Does the team have som much confidence in Cam that they get too relaxed when he is in the net?

Nothing wrong with a good goalie controversy this early in the season. Neither goalie can take their start for granted and it just might be a win-win situation for Lavi. I wonder how long JR allows Lavi to play that card before he noses in and makes him play Cam.

Why would Cam be bumming if he has some competition? If it doesn't bring out the best in him then he doesn't deserve the No. 1 label.

Does the team have som much confidence in Cam that they get too relaxed when he is in the net?

I hope you are right, and it stokes the competitive fires. Why bumming? I would have to think that he would rather play tonight, no? He opened the season as the clear cut #1 and 5 games in he is in danger of splitting time or becoming the backup. Assuming he wants to be the #1 goalie, he might feel a little let down at this exact point in time. Of course he would never admit it, and it is politically incorrect to say anything other than "I welcome the competition". But if Leighton shines tonight, Ward's star dims a little. He can still fight back, and heck Leighton may serve up a dud tonight. But I'm sure Cam would rather be playing and is dissapointed that he isn't.

Edit: The other thing is the spacing between games exagerates the issue. If Cam doesn't start he will have sat with no game time for over a week.

Leighton is starting tomorrow night in Pittsburgh

Before anyone jumps on the 'we have a goalie controversy wagon', Leighton played really well Sunday and Lavi usually rewards his players. I see this as nothing more than that.

And I agree with Tangledheart, having Leighton, a viable back up, will allow Cam to get rest and we won't have to play him 20 straight games.

I look at our goalie tandem the way Buffalo is using Miller and Lalime. Miller played 75 games last year. This year they are cutting him down to 55-60 games. I think that range would be a perfect range to put Cam in and so far Leighton's play is going to make that range doable.

If they can do that with Cam this year that will be very key for us having success.. Older goalies like Brodeur and Hasek have the endurance to play 120 straight games (regular + playoffs) but theres no way Cam can do that. Cam struggled so bad last year playing 15 games in a row and being so sluggish and worn out he could barely make saves. Between Graham's ineffectiveness and his injuries came nearly played every single game last year.. that has to kill not only his body but his psyche. Thinking he has to be the key for the team to win games. With Leighton now we can get some days off for Cam to let him rest, and then when he plays again he will be pumped up to be playing instead of dreary like "Not this again"...

As far as tonights game, I also heard Forslund on Monday morning say that Leighton would "Likely" get the start against Pittsburgh, but I'm not sure why. Cam has been sitting since Saturday he should be plenty fresh.. although Lavi does have a history of going with the "hot hand" in goal, trying to get streaks going.. but if you wear out Leights and then Cam sits too long that would be very bad.

Is this confirmed or your prediction? The Hurricanes website today:

"Coming off victories on the strength of dominant efforts from their second-string goaltenders, Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward should be back in net Thursday night when the Penguins host the Hurricanes at Mellon Arena."

Not saying you're wrong just wondering if it has been announced, or is speculation.

Chip made mention to it yesterday and Forslund confirmed it this morning.

Speaking of Forslund, he wrote a blog regarding the goalies. He and I are thinking alike by comparing Ward/Leighton to Miller/Lalime.

Here's his blog if anyones interested:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/blog/3603818/''>http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/blog/3603818/' target="_blank">http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/blog/3603818/[/post]

I have no problem with Leighton giving Ward a breather. How may games and when, well that is all up to the schedule, opponent and coaching staff. Leighton can be a #1 someday and has the talent. He just needs a little time. I would pull Cam and put Mike in with out hesitation...

What gives any of us the right saying Leighton can't be a #1 right now? He can be someday but not now? What?

Let it all play out. Bottom line is since Gerber left, how many playoff games has Cam lead this team too? He's had two years to grab the bull by the horns. I don't care if Joe Dirt is playing goal as long as this team makes the playoffs.

What gives any of us the right saying Leighton can't be a #1 right now? He can be someday but not now? What?

Let it all play out. Bottom line is since Gerber left, how many playoff games has Cam lead this team too? He's had two years to grab the bull by the horns. I don't care if Joe Dirt is playing goal as long as this team makes the playoffs.

I feel the same way, no playoffs is not fun.

The situation will sort itelf one way or another, and my gut feeling is sooner than later. Giving Leighton another chance tonight, and against a team that would usually see the #1 starter, tells me they're going to give both of them a fair chance to win the #1 spot. If neither outplays the other, maybe we'll see the rotating 2 goalie system till one can emerge for the playoffs.

At least we'll get some resolution this season because I dont think the front office, the players or the fans are too keen on waiting it out much longer.

Let's put it this way if this was Pre-2006 JR Boychuk would still be here. I think JR learned a valuable lesson from rushing prospects, Borer would also be here.

Rushing Cam was stupid, I think he's going to be a fantastic goalie but he was rushed. He played off adrenaline in 06 and honestly showed us what a mature 26-27 year old Cam Ward IS GOING to do. Getting there though...but if we bail out on Cam like we apparently bailed out on Giguere we are all going to soundly regret it.

This team needs a franchise goalie, not a 1 year bandage each season like we've done for 10 years. Even Irbe wasn't a solution.

Bottom line is since Gerber left, how many playoff games has Cam lead this team too?
To be fair, if you extrapolate Ward's winning percentage to the whole season, the Cane's would have easily won the SE Division the last two years. The problem (primarily) has been Ward's back-up, not Ward alone.

Put another way, Gerber had Ward as his back up. Ward was a solid 14-8 as Gerber's back-up. Grahame, on the other hand, went 10-13-2 and 5-7-1 as Ward's back-up. Had Grahame been Gerber's back-up in 2005-2006 instead of Ward and put up those numbers, the Canes, yes, still would've made the playoffs, but as a lower seed. Who knows how things would've turned out?

Of all Ward's problems, his biggest was having Grahame as his back-up. Leighton, so far, seems to be a nice step up.

Let's put it this way if this was Pre-2006 JR Boychuk would still be here. I think JR learned a valuable lesson from rushing prospects, Borer would also be here.

Rushing Cam was stupid, I think he's going to be a fantastic goalie but he was rushed. He played off adrenaline in 06 and honestly showed us what a mature 26-27 year old Cam Ward IS GOING to do. Getting there though...

I agree, I remember after the SCF stating that we needed to re-sign Gerbs in order to give Cam another two years to work into the job. Gerbs would have signed for less to stay and be the #1a for the next two years. JR decided to go with the Crumbs experiment and we all know how well that worked, Gerbs would have exceeded that effort. I still think Cam is a year off from being able to hold his own.

Rushing Cam was stupid, I think he's going to be a fantastic goalie but he was rushed. He played off adrenaline in 06 and honestly showed us what a mature 26-27 year old Cam Ward IS GOING to do. Getting there though...but if we bail out on Cam like we apparently bailed out on Giguere we are all going to soundly regret it.

This team needs a franchise goalie, not a 1 year bandage each season like we've done for 10 years. Even Irbe wasn't a solution.

Well said. I think thats the point Forslund was trying to make in his blog about it. Having a capable back up here who not only will push Cam but also carry the team a little and give him some breaks at different points of the season, will hopefully allow Cam to develop as he hasnt been able to the past 2 years. No one knows how it'll play out, but at least it looks like all parties involved are gong to get a fair chance at making it work.

And yes, glad they sent Boychuk back for another year to develop too. Lessons learned.

I agree, I remember after the SCF stating that we needed to re-sign Gerbs in order to give Cam another two years to work into the job. Gerbs would have signed for less to stay and be the #1a for the next two years. JR decided to go with the Crumbs experiment and we all know how well that worked, Gerbs would have exceeded that effort. I still think Cam is a year off from being able to hold his own.

Gerber didnt want to sign for less here even if it was to be the #1, when Ottawa was throwing both $ and the #1 spot at him. He would have had to have a pretty severe Cup hangover to pass that up, knowing all along that Cam was the franchise goalie for the future.

Gerber didn't want to sign for less here even if it was to be the #1, when Ottawa was throwing both $ and the #1 spot at him. He would have had to have a pretty severe Cup hangover to pass that up, knowing all along that Cam was the franchise goalie for the future.

We will have to disagree on that topic, I know enough to know he would have accepted less but nothing was offered. After Game 7 it was decided that Cam would be the number 1 and the hunt would begin for a backup. Given that, Gerbs did the best he could do.

I'm just glad that Lavs is giving Leighton the start tonite,,however it works out. I think he has earned the start tonite and if he implode's then Cam can come in or start the next game and make a statment. IMO sometimes i think Cam is almost too calm, maybe something like this will get him some fire/passion or whatever you want to call it. I'm not saying he doesn't have it already ,,he just rarely shows it!! Its never a bad thing having to guys fighting for a job,usually it brings out the best and it also gets the rest of the team use to their style of play.

This is one move early in the season, but it suggests to me that Laviollete at least is looking for performance from his goalie, and is not going to sit around waiting for Cam to emerge for another year. Cam will get his chances, but Lavi, who was supposedly at risk of being on the hot seat is not going to watch another season by with below average goalie play. Because he realizes that if he just gives the #1 spot to Cam regardless of performance, he won't get to see another season go by.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Sends a signal. Performance will be rewarded. Now Cam can come back over the top and play even better next time out, and I really hope he does. Let the better man play.

I like the goalie situation so far. Leighton has been very good. Could push Cam, somethng that he has not had the past two seasons. If he can hold on to win this game against Pittsburg, especially if ti winds up 1-0, Cam may be in for a long ride on teh bench.

I like the goalie situation so far. Leighton has been very good. Could push Cam, somethng that he has not had the past two seasons. If he can hold on to win this game against Pittsburg, especially if ti winds up 1-0, Cam may be in for a long ride on teh bench.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I have never been a huge fan of Cam. I have always thought of him and Ryan Miller, as the 2 most overrated in the league. I like what i see so far in Leighton.

We will have to disagree on that topic, I know enough to know he would have accepted less but nothing was offered. After Game 7 it was decided that Cam would be the number 1 and the hunt would begin for a backup. Given that, Gerbs did the best he could do.

JR did offer Gerber to stay and he wanted Gerber to split the games with Cam. Gerber on the other hand wanted to be the clear cut #1. That is when they decided to part ways. It isn't b/c JR didn't want him. JR couldn't give Gerber what he wanted.

Leighton was very good last night. As I beleive it was Tripp said, something to the effect of "Even the best goalie in the world can't steal a game without at least a little help." Leighton was on his way to stealing this one when the team just folded up.