The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chumbawumba

Trade Ward?

Just because Leighton has looked good in a couple of games is no reason to even think about trading Cam. If they both play well the competition will make them that much better.

Crazy! If you have 2 solid goaltenders that is a huge advantage...especially if one should happen to get hurt. Plus, they can stay fresh all year by alternating and the team will have confidence no matter who is in net!

Remember when it was Gerber/Ward...look how that worked out...Stanley Cup! (Not saying it will happen this season...but something worth mentioning)

I assume by 2nd you mean a draft pick.

As for LA.. Even with injuries, we still have a glut at forward and we dont need another center.. heck Cullen is playing wing as it is.. With only 2 g and 1 a, OSullivan has fewer points then Staal, Brindy or Cullen.. so why in the world would we trade Cam Ward for a 4th line center?

As for Ottawa, Vermette has only 1 assist and is playing on Ottawa's third line. Whitney, LaCouture and Bayda have outperformed him.. so again.. Ward for a 4th line winger, and why would we drop Samsonov? He's playing hard and will start scoring soon. Ruutu should be back saturday. Also, I'm not sure it would be advisable as a GM to put Ward and Gerber back on the same team again. Ottawa had good success with Gerbs last year, so I'm not sure they are "goalie deprived"..

Cam may be struggling but he's worth a heck of a lot more then a 4th liner and a draft pick.. the other side of the coin is this.. who then do we replace him with? Micheal Leggio? Daniel Manzato? You really wanna throw Leighton under the bus like that?

Until Kaberle got hurt (and we assume he was being shopped for a trade) we had too many Dmen with Melichar and Babchuck sitting in the pressbox, however both of them are getting playing time now. The only trade I could see for us would be a package of DMen (with several teams, including pittsburgh, suffering injures to D) maybe 2 guys, Kaberle + Melichar, Kaberle + Babchuck who knows who the pair would be, but trade them for a good second line RWer since we have Brookbank (a LW) LaCouture (a LW) and Chad LaRose (a LW) (According to Yahoo) all playing RW now to replace Walker and Williams, our only true (listed as such on the roster) RWer right now is Patrick Eaves. The CH.com depth chart has LaCouture back at center with Ruutu (another true RWer) on RW, (so maybe that means he will be back for the Isles) and Brookbank back on LW. But they also have Cullen (a C) playing RW on the first line, which we saw last night. I dont know who is shopping a RWer around, but we could use one. Having guys shooting from the wrong side of the ice and having to shoot on back hands (like the Staal, Sammy give and go last night) could be one of the reason our scoring is suffering.

two scenarios, if they are both playing really good, and the canes are in the playoff hunt, at or towards the trade deadline, you trade one of them for something that is needed at that time. Other scenario is if one is playing better than the other, than one is the starter, one is the backup. Go Canes!

jeff

no way we should trade ward and make leighton our number 1 guy.....experience goes a long way in this game. until that kid has a season or two as backup i dont want to see him as number one.

Either of these trades would leave us with Leighton + Peters/Manzato as our goaltending tandem. That's insane and it doesn't matter how good Leighton has looked in three games. And even if Ward were to be traded, it certainly wouldn't be for a second line winger/center.

And I doubt Patrick O'Sullivan will be playing in Raleigh anytime soon. Read up on his history with his father.

Are you a Caps plant...?

Ok now please don't bash me for this but from the games I have seen michael Leighton play(he was sensational against the ducks)I'd say he looks more comfortable than ward. Ward, meantime, could be a good trade commodity for someone goalie deprived IE Sens, Kings. Here are 2 possible trade options which in my view are fair. Tell me what you think. Thanx for your help guys. :)

To Carolina:Patrick Osullivan, 2nd

To L.A-Cam ward

To Carolina-Antoine Vermette, 2nd

To Ottawa-Cam ward

Note-please feel free to put in your trade ideas as well.

some people think of the craziest things on here.. we're not even 10 games into the season come on :rolleyes:

last i heard Marty Turco's got a GAA around 4 so why don't the Stars go ahead and trade him as well?

some people think of the craziest things on here.. we're not even 10 games into the season come on :rolleyes:

last i heard Marty Turco's got a GAA around 4 so why don't the Stars go ahead and trade him as well?

Swap Cam for Marty? Sure! ;)

some people think of the dumbest things on here.. we're not even 10 games into the season come on :rolleyes:

fixed.

okay, lets all just calm down. leighton, is on a hot streak no doubt about it. looking good. great preception and awareness. cam is struggling. it all has to do with pressure. cam had alot of pressure after the cup win. and couldnt perform like he did in the previous post season. mike, is working hard to keep his job and stay at the nhl leval. boychuck has been sent down and mike doest want to go back a notch. so hes hustling and working his butt off. if he continues to play like he has then cam has a real fight on his hands. i think leighton can be an elite goalie. hes very aware and young. cam is getting older and maybe no so into the game anymore, or maybe this is all were gonna get out of him. one flash of brillance and then smoke. either way. i would love to see two strong goalies working the net. this would keep them fresh and healthy. 1 goalie supporting the team makes for some misrable finishes. as for the pens game. leighton played a stupendous game. making grrrreaaat saves, and plays. only getting beat 4 goals in one period.....the last. but thats not too bad for a rookie. this game we have to look at the whole team. the third was *edit*. we left after 2 periods. the offense slacked the d slacked and the only one really trying was ol mike leighton. we used to be a 3rd period team. now were just whatever in the third. a 1-0 score in the third was nothing to slack on. we should have come on super strong and pounded the pens into the ground, not let them score 4 in 20 min. thats all i got for today. thanks.

okay, lets all just calm down. leighton, is on a hot streak no doubt about it. looking good. great preception and awareness. cam is struggling. it all has to do with pressure. cam had alot of pressure after the cup win. and couldnt perform like he did in the previous post season. mike, is working hard to keep his job and stay at the nhl leval. boychuck has been sent down and mike doest want to go back a notch. so hes hustling and working his butt off. if he continues to play like he has then cam has a real fight on his hands. i think leighton can be an elite goalie. hes very aware and young. cam is getting older and maybe no so into the game anymore, or maybe this is all were gonna get out of him. one flash of brillance and then smoke. either way. i would love to see two strong goalies working the net. this would keep them fresh and healthy. 1 goalie supporting the team makes for some misrable finishes. as for the pens game. leighton played a stupendous game. making grrrreaaat saves, and plays. only getting beat 4 goals in one period.....the last. but thats not too bad for a rookie. this game we have to look at the whole team. the third was *edit*. we left after 2 periods. the offense slacked the d slacked and the only one really trying was ol mike leighton. we used to be a 3rd period team. now were just whatever in the third. a 1-0 score in the third was nothing to slack on. we should have come on super strong and pounded the pens into the ground, not let them score 4 in 20 min. thats all i got for today. thanks.

He let in 3... the 4th was an empty netter.. but i understand the point your making. Literally the wheels feel off the end of that game.. hey.. "stuff" happens.

Cam has struggled with letting in goals early but then he clamps down, same as last year.. the problem is so far this year we are lacking scoring. Those come from behind wins early were exciting but exhausting. 1-1 against detroit, we lose 2-1(3-1 w/EN).. 1-0 against Pitt, we lose 3-1(4-1 w/EN)... Obviously all the goaltending in the world isnt gonna win a 1 goal game. We have to score more. The LA OT lose was heartbreaking but we still had a chance to win, Cam played really well against Detroit but they are a monster of a team. That 1-1-1 could be 2-1 if we win the oT game in LA. If we had won vs Detroit and LA Cam would be 3-0 and we wouldnt even be having this conversation. The issue is not Cam... last year he was lacking defense, we would score 7 and give up 5 and win. This year the defense is much improved but with injuries our goal support is lacking.. Cam lets in 3.. or even only 2.. which is not a bad showing at all.. but we score 1 or 0 and we lose. Goaltending is a key to hockey, but like every other game on earth.. you have to score more then your opponent to in. The goalie stops the other team from scoring, but he doesnt score himself, the rest of the team has to do that.

Ok now please don't bash me for this but from the games I have seen michael Leighton play(he was sensational against the ducks)I'd say he looks more comfortable than ward. Ward, meantime, could be a good trade commodity for someone goalie deprived IE Sens, Kings. Here are 2 possible trade options which in my view are fair. Tell me what you think. Thanx for your help guys. :)

To Carolina:Patrick Osullivan, 2nd

To L.A-Cam ward

To Carolina-Antoine Vermette, 2nd

To Ottawa-Cam ward

Note-please feel free to put in your trade ideas as well.

Ok, here's my trade idea.

To: Buffalo boards - Carolina board member Samsonover

To: Carolina - Bag of pucks.

:lol:

I promised myself I was going to lay off these Cam Ward threads, but I can't seem to help myself. I have been mostly negative on Cam the past two years and firmly believe that anyone who looks at the overall body of evidence will see that on the whole he has been weak during the last two regular seasons.

That said, he has had tremendous runs (SCplayoffs, beginning of last year, end of last year), and everyone in the know keeps on saying that Cam has the talent to be a top 5 goalie. Trading him at some point may not be a crazy idea, but trading him now is a certifiably crazy idea.

1. We wouldn't get full value for him, since he has not played his best yet.

2. We would have to find a back up goalie somewhere. This is a good place for a back up goalie to kill his career, they

will not be lining up to come here. This will lead to a big drop in talent at the most crucial position on the ice.

3. Cam started the year on fire last year, over his first several starts he was actually as high as #5 in Save %. Then he

fell. Leighton could easily do the same, he's only has 3 starts. The league could figure out his weaknesses. If we bet

on an unproven goalie and he faulters, and there is no Cam around, we're out of business.

4. JR has repeatedly reenforced the idea that Cam is the goalie of the future. He will be given a lot more than 3 starts to

prove that he can live up to it.

I do think though, that Laviollette cannot afford to keep riding Cam like a true #1 if he flounders and Leighton continues to outplay him. Lavi's job is on the line and he is not going down that way. That is part of the message he sent with the Pittsburgh start going to Leighton. Cam will continue to get the benefit of the doubt if all is even, but if Ward keeps struggling, Leighton will split time. If it continues to be a mismatch with Leighton far outplaying Ward, Ward will eventually become the backup. I'm not saying that this will happen, because I think Ward will step up. One thing is for certain: Ward has GOT to stop letting in early goals.

It's crazy (right now). What a luxury to even have an option besides Ward. We had no choice last year while running him out there 70 times, or for multiple consecutive games.

Think about it, players respond to their goalie. We didn't have the upside of that last year (except for the Feb/Mar run).

My goodness...Ward played well yet, look at the detroit game. Ward is still young, he has great talent, and he's a franchise player. Why would we trade him anywhere for anything? Oo

I'd say: Cam goes nowhere, he's our starter, and I love him to be that. Leighton? Great guy, really great. He's the backup we've been waitin' for, or even, sooner or later, a second starter. But right now, I don't see any way past Wardo yet.

You say this after Leighton let's in 4 goals in the 3rd period. Oh I'm sorry, the 4th was an emty netter. I'm not dissing Leighton because I think he's a great goalie and will not base my decision on that one game. Cam has done a lot worse in the past.

Right now the Canes are looking at a serious situation in goal. Based on the past two seasons, I do not think Cam can play at a level high enough necessary for the Canes to make the playoffs, but neither can Leighton at this point. Can both come in and steal games? Surely. Will both "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"? Definately. WEe saw Cam do that at least twice last season. Is trading Cam the answer? No, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the CAnes will not be able to get comparable value in exchange. For the moment, Ward and Leighton are our guys, for better or worse.

Right now the Canes are looking at a serious situation in goal. Based on the past two seasons, I do not think Cam can play at a level high enough necessary for the Canes to make the playoffs, but neither can Leighton at this point. Can both come in and steal games? Surely. Will both "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"? Definately. WEe saw Cam do that at least twice last season. Is trading Cam the answer? No, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the CAnes will not be able to get comparable value in exchange. For the moment, Ward and Leighton are our guys, for better or worse.

Besides, I just purchased my new Ward jersey!!! ;)

Wow you guys are hardcore about the goalies. I hope you guys arent calling me crazy about the post I made, because all I meant was if they are BOTH doing great at or around the trade deadline, and we were in a serious push for the playoffs, and we needed a forward or defenseman, and another team made an offer that is GOOD for the canes, then JR would do it, thats all. Thats business. Of course its good to have two solid goalies. Most of the Great goalies are off to a bad start this year: Luongo, Kipprusoff, Turco.... its like being in a slump in baseball, they will get out of it. In closing I believe Ward will step up and be the number one.

all I meant was if they are BOTH doing great at or around the trade deadline, and we were in a serious push for the playoffs, and we needed a forward or defenseman, and another team made an offer that is GOOD for the canes, then JR would do it, thats all. Thats business.

If both are doing great then why trade the younger one with the most potential?