The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac29

Storm Squad

I have a bone to pick with them. I THOUGHT that they were there to start chants and get the crowd out of their chairs. The only thing I have seen them do so far this season is wave at guys that are flirting with them. yes, they are going to be hit on. The girls are not ugly and look cutein their outfits. But in my section Monday night, a lonesome fan started ALL the chants!!! The Storm Squad THEN started chanting. If it wasn't for this guy in Section 114 (you know who you are cause you had all of us going) there would have been no cheers. Years past the Storm Squad was very vocal but I have not seen it the past 2 seasons.

I agree with you. There are a couple that seem a bit more animated and into the experience but others just seem too distracted or shy.

I'm fine with them looking nice...actually I think they should show more skin.

I should have known you were a man. LOL! The point of the thread is they're not doing there job which is motivating the crowd to cheer and not entertaining the men only.

Glad this post was started - I too would have to agree that their are some members that don't have the pep like some of the others. There were more fans getting the crowd going than there were Storm Squad girls. The idea of having a pep squad is great - IF they show a little enthusiasm. Seems like the pep has left them - remember the days of Dixie? now she was a crowd booster!

I said the same thing last year and got blasted for bringing it up. All I wanted them to do is crete some energy, have some signs to get cheers going, do something other than stand on the top rung on the hand rail.

My personal take on the Storm Squad this year is that they all (well, except for Mike) need to build some upper body strength. Their ability (or lack thereof) to fling t-shirts is abysmal this year. If they get past the fourth or fifth row in the LL they are having a good day. I have seen at least 3 instances of the shirt landing at their feet... And twice (that I have seen) the "shooter" hit the squad member holding the elastic band in the back of the head with the shirt. :blink:

My personal take on the Storm Squad this year is that they all (well, except for Mike) need to build some upper body strength. Their ability (or lack thereof) to fling t-shirts is abysmal this year. If they get past the fourth or fifth row in the LL they are having a good day. I have seen at least 3 instances of the shirt landing at their feet... And twice (that I have seen) the "shooter" hit the squad member holding the elastic band in the back of the head with the shirt. :blink:

OMG....throwing like a girl. Whodda thunk it!

Eye candy and nothing more. Bring back Stanley's Angel's. Love those guys.

OMG....throwing like a girl. Whodda thunk it!

If they actually had to throw, it might be understandable...but they have those nice elastic slingshots that actually have worked in the past if you put some oomph behind them...

Other than walking around looking good, making a huge deal about sending around 40 T shirts into a crowd of 18,000 seems to be their primary job. Perhaps they should invest in a few more of those T shirt shooter guns. Of course they would all have to go out to the T shirt shooting range to qualify, but it would be worth it to see T shirts flying all over the place.

I think what you are seeing out of the Storm Squad is the new blood.

Previous squads have moved on and the newbies just haven't been into it as much as previous years (ie Dixie's group, etc......)

so maybe they aren't getting much direction????

They have to know HOW to throw first! :lol:

Yeah, its useless if there arent getting the crowd up.

If it wasnt for the fact the Rbc Center, making the arena a "family atmosphere", it would be nice( i know im bias) if they would have the storm squad go shovel ice during timeouts.

Ive seen in other venues that they use their squads and they wear short skirts and shovel the ice and play music

It was actually refreshing.

In Chicago particulary, they sometimes come out and sell beer etc...

Im not sure why In the Carolinas they do the family atmosphere so much.

They use the same CONCEPT at the Panthers games.

I know,Ive been to other places and they designate rows for a family atmosphere in other arenas.

Their ability (or lack thereof) to fling t-shirts is abysmal this year.

Well the quality of t-shirt is so poor I'm surprised the things don't unravel on their way into the crowd. I always get a good chuckle that people go nuts over them. If they weren't free, people wouldn't want them. Even if they were $1, no one would want them but free? People are willing to inflict bodily harm on themselves trying to catch them.

I like the way some teams have "Ice Girls" that actually clear the snow during stoppages. That would be great especially in front of the visitors goal, maybe create a bit of goalkeeper distraction.

Other than walking around looking good, making a huge deal about sending around 40 T shirts into a crowd of 18,000 seems to be their primary job. Perhaps they should invest in a few more of those T shirt shooter guns. Of course they would all have to go out to the T shirt shooting range to qualify, but it would be worth it to see T shirts flying all over the place.

A lot of them a blond and I don't think we need to be giving them loaded guns! Monday one team kept hitting the girl in the head with the water balloon launcher. No lie! Not once or twice, Three times! We all split our sides laughing. :lol: