The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac29

Storm Squad

They actually arent that poor quality ive had mine for a while now and have had no issues with it! wash and all. I actually just caught my second T-shirt at the detroit game woot woot.

I like the way some teams have "Ice Girls" that actually clear the snow during stoppages.

You mean like the skanks they have at Philips arena? Last time I was there I couldn't believe what they were wearing, I think they use 50% less fabric every year. Same thing in Tampa.

I have an idea -- continue to let the storm squad writhe against the rails and throw shirts, but why not have the ice-cleaning guys buff up a bit and go shirtless. Half of the fans are women, after all. ;)

yet another angle on this thread that proves it has gone no where...sheesh...the next game can't get here soon enough....so we can get off skin...and back to HOCKEY...

WAKE UP PEOPLE

:(

I have a bone to pick with them. I THOUGHT that they were there to start chants and get the crowd out of their chairs. The only thing I have seen them do so far this season is wave at guys that are flirting with them. yes, they are going to be hit on. The girls are not ugly and look cutein their outfits. But in my section Monday night, a lonesome fan started ALL the chants!!! The Storm Squad THEN started chanting. If it wasn't for this guy in Section 114 (you know who you are cause you had all of us going) there would have been no cheers. Years past the Storm Squad was very vocal but I have not seen it the past 2 seasons.

Cheering? Chants? I thought they were there to serve as props for advertisers.

But they do have their good points. :P

Actually, I DO have a bone to pick with the Storm Squad (which I normally love and support dearly).

I don't know this for a fact, but I HEARD that the Storm Squad was at least partially responsible for starting THE WAVE during a penalty kill in our opening night game against the Panthers. If this is true, then I say.....

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks, the wave at a hockey game is semi-ridiculous in the first place, and it should NEVER be going on while the puck's in play, unless we're up by 3 or 4 goals already. And even then I'm not a fan, but I won't ***** about it.

If anyone from the Canes organization is reading this.......BAD IDEA!!!

Oh, and just say no to the beach balls too. This is NOT a Jimmy Buffett concert.

The Storm squad has lapsed into pathetic. All I've seen them do the last couple of seasons is sit on the railings, fake clap, smile only when the camera is on them and lamely chuck t-shirts to STH's. I believe we have the only "spirit squad" that does not skate or dance. I would start over, looking for girls with cheer/dance and skating experience and make them more pro-active instead of re-active. I would at least teach the current squad to skate and get some kind of cheer coach to teach them some moves. Also, their outfits look like something you would wear to work out at Curves. Makes me miss the SnakeCharmers! The best example I can think of is the Dallas Stars Ice Girls. They dance, skate and look very professional.

hey now, I am sure it takes a lot of practice and talent for them to be able to stand there, smile at the camera, clap their hands (while trying to fake chant LETS GO CANES), and chuck t-shirts into the crowd. Being peppy must be the most difficult job in the Canes organization :rolleyes:

(sarcasm of course)

You mean like the skanks they have at Philips arena? Last time I was there I couldn't believe what they were wearing, I think they use 50% less fabric every year.

And god bless them for that. However, in the interest of fairness...

I have an idea -- continue to let the storm squad writhe against the rails and throw shirts, but why not have the ice-cleaning guys buff up a bit and go shirtless. Half of the fans are women, after all. ;)

This isn't the WORST idea in the world. Give them an open leather vest, a pair of jeans, and skates... the chicks would eat it up. And it's no more or less sexist than the Storm Squad bouncing around all cute in their tight spandex.

The problem is the whole "family atmosphere" limits what you can do with the Storm Squad - male, female, or both. Not saying that's a bad thing, just making an observation. In order to capitalize further on more risque things you could do with the Storm Squad - calendars, posters, other such shenanigans - you'd have to trade off the perfectly clean image. And if that's not a move the organization wishes to make, as some others have, I can respect that. The "family atmospshere" is a big deal because we're on the tip of the conservative Bible Belt here int he South. Atlanta can get away with it because they're the urban capital of the South. Tampa can because the state of Florida's not "South."

But to bring this back to the topic at hand, if they're not gonna do anything, what's the point? If someone has to shoot the shirts, get Stormy out there with a couple of guys (like Thrash's two bodyguard guys in Atlanta) and just do it that way. We don't NEED to be led in cheers - our fans are knowledgeable enough to know when and how. So, needless to say, the Storm Squad isn't exactly a necessity. They should serve a greater purpose than to just stand around and look pretty.

After interracting with the Storm Squad for several years now, my thoughts are this. There are quite a few rookies this year, which was noted earlier. And, when Mike (Big Mike) is gone, it's obvious. Without his horn blowing to lead some chants, the Storm Squad is different.

It seems as though a number of things are different this year. It's possible the club instructed the Storm Squad to act a certain way. Just like the players are doing certain things a little differently.

Oh, one more thing- thanks to "horn guy" in the upper level in near Sec 337 on Monday night, who pulled out his horn to help with the cheering.

Oh, one more thing- thanks to "horn guy" in the upper level in near Sec 337 on Monday night, who pulled out his horn to help with the cheering.

Your welcome. Section 338 actually.

I don't even really acknowledge the girls. I am sure they work hard in all, but I pay my hard earned money to watch the great game of hockey. If I wanted to see eyecandy I'd go to Hooters.

I don't even really acknowledge the girls. I am sure they work hard in all, but I pay my hard earned money to watch the great game of hockey. If I wanted to see eyecandy I'd go to Hooters.

I, too, am there for the game. I really don't pay alot of attention to any of the promotional stuff (VIC cards, Ron the Ref, etc) as I prefer to talk with the folks around me about the game and the players, strategy, etc. I understand the need for the other activities...I guess I'm a "purest," and just want to observe and learn as much about this great sport as I can.

We also need more organ driven chants during the game. There seems to be only 1-2 times per period where the organ is used to lead the crowd in cheering. Some of the other NHL teams have the organ working the crowd the whole game, and as long as we have a really good organist, why not use him more often than as filler music behind announcements and advertisements. The storm squad can only do so much, since there are a small group - but the Canes organ is usually very load in the arena.

We also need more organ driven chants during the game. There seems to be only 1-2 times per period where the organ is used to lead the crowd in cheering. Some of the other NHL teams have the organ working the crowd the whole game, and as long as we have a really good organist, why not use him more often than as filler music behind announcements and advertisements. The storm squad can only do so much, since there are a small group - but the Canes organ is usually very load in the arena.

I agree. More organ would be appreciated.

.....and what's up with the SUNGLASSES?

promoting an advertiser...the fact I can't think of the name of the business proves it isn't that effective

Yeah, I'm kind of done with the Storm Squad. The ones closest to my seats this year have done nothing but flirt with male fans while the puck is in play. I kind of want to yell to them, "You weren't picked to flirt with fans! You were picked to pump up the WHOLE crowd! PAY ATTENTION!" And someone else ALWAYS started the chants. They would just join in once it had already gotten started. Plus, I always see them walking around the concourse, but I've only seen them stop to chat with children and men. In my experience, not once have I seen the Storm Squad trying to engage the females. If you are a female and have interacted with them, please feel free to correct me.

Another thing that bothered me at the last game was when the girls closest to my seats had a final shirt to give and they were just going to throw it to a fan. They were looking back and forth between this guy and this small child. Finally they gave it to the guy. The kid was heartbroken. I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between a grown man and a small child to give a prize to, the kid would win every time. I'm sure that was an isolated incident, but it really bugged me because he wanted it SO bad, and the guy just wanted to ogle the girls.

Oh, and guys, stop trying to chat the Storm Squad up. It's not going to happen! :lol:

:rolleyes:

I'm with ya CanesGrrl

1) YES, they are are there for the WHOLE crowd

2) YES, the kid wins everytime

3) YES, guys...it ain't gonna happen

Finally - I hope some Canes officials see this and give the girls a nudge in the right direction.

'Nuff said.

I may be mistaken, but I believe being a member of the Storm Squad is a paid position. I can't believe the only requirement is to stand around and look pretty and fake interest. The girls should not need a nudge. If they are only here to flirt and be ogled, I'm sure there are plenty of girls that did not make the squad that would love to take their place.

hi

long time reader first time poster.

i say lets make the storm squad into more of a kids theme. since the kids love stormy (and some of us far older kids) lets turn the squad into a bunch of girls in female pig suits. like stormy but only girls. remember the griswalds in the second vacation movie where they were on the fake gameshow pig in the poke? well let's give the squad costumes just like those. the kids will love them. we could rename them stormy and his piglets. :lol:

hi

long time reader first time poster.

i say lets make the storm squad into more of a kids theme. since the kids love stormy (and some of us far older kids) lets turn the squad into a bunch of girls in female pig suits. like stormy but only girls. remember the griswalds in the second vacation movie where they were on the fake gameshow pig in the poke? well let's give the squad costumes just like those. the kids will love them. we could rename them stormy and his piglets. :lol:

Welcome.....and this was the thread that prompted you to make your first post? :lol:

Yeah. I thought it was funny. Imagine 6 or so girls running around the ice in pig suits flining t-shirts. To me the crowd would get more out that then what the current squad is doing.