The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac29

Storm Squad

hi

long time reader first time poster.

i say lets make the storm squad into more of a kids theme. since the kids love stormy (and some of us far older kids) lets turn the squad into a bunch of girls in female pig suits. like stormy but only girls. remember the griswalds in the second vacation movie where they were on the fake gameshow pig in the poke? well let's give the squad costumes just like those. the kids will love them. we could rename them stormy and his piglets. :lol:

You can put lipstick on a pig...

Come on guys, if you keep setting them up, I'm going to keep knocking them down.

I may be mistaken, but I believe being a member of the Storm Squad is a paid position. I can't believe the only requirement is to stand around and look pretty and fake interest. The girls should not need a nudge. If they are only here to flirt and be ogled, I'm sure there are plenty of girls that did not make the squad that would love to take their place.

I know a few girls who wanted to be Storm Squad members who either 1) already had a lot of cheer experience, or 2) had a lot of hockey knowledge and want to truly cheer for the guys who didn't make the team. These girls are beauty and brains and I couldn't believe they weren't chosen. In the past, the girls have been (or seemed) a lot more personable and friendlier. They would walk around in the parking lot and talk to people tailgating, they'd come up to females and pass out Canes temporary tattoos, etc. I haven't noticed that in the past year or so. I would love to be a Storm Squad girl if I had the time, but I don't. Plus, I think they are going for a pick the skinniest, blondest girls theme. :lol: There are like three brunettes. IDK. Something just seems to be not working with the Squad this year.

Except for Mike! He always brings it! And two games ago I saw him making balloon animals for little kids. I loved it! I think we should get a couple more guys for the team. Maybe that would balance things out?

Imagine 6 or so girls running around the ice in pig suits flining t-shirts.

If the guys enjoy this are they male chauvinest pigs?

I dig the SS girls - gives me something to look at during breaks in the action. Doesn't surprise me that the girls don't like 'em.

The new ones are lookin good too - especially Courtney.

Rock on Storm Squad - yeah I'm a male chauvinist and proud of it ;)

I dig the SS girls - gives me something to look at during breaks in the action. Doesn't surprise me that the girls don't like 'em.

The new ones are lookin good too - especially Courtney.

Rock on Storm Squad - yeah I'm a male chauvinist and proud of it ;)

Hear hear. Plus I don't remember the Storm Squad starting cheers and stuff before (except Mike). They're not cheerleaders (as you would see at high school or college game).

In my experience, not once have I seen the Storm Squad trying to engage the females.

They gave my wife a high five after we scored our first goal vs. the panthers. :wub:

I have not read through this thread, but I can assume what it says from past threads

1. The girls can not get the shirts to the upper levels.

2. Where is Dixie?

3. The uniforms are not "skimpy" enough

4. Girls just want to "hang out" with the players

I will start by telling you a little bit about the Eye Care Associates Storm Squad.

We are not a cheerleading team or a dance team. There may be some common characteristics between them, but that is not what we are. At the games, our basic responsibilites are (in no particular order)

Interact with fans in the stands and on the concourse

In-Game promotions

Enhance the whole game experience

Community Involvement

Support our Sponsor (Eye Care Associates)

1.Shooting those shirts is more difficult than it looks. If the timing is not just right, which is sometimes difficult with the cheering crowd, it will result in a ineffective sling.

2. Dixie is doing great!

3. The SS uniforms are very classy.

4. We do not "hang out" with the players. Sure we see them, but they are at work and so are we. The Storm Squad does some community and in-arena events with them, but our dealing with them are professional.

Finally, we know that the Storm Squad, like everything else, is not for everyone. One of my favorite saying is "If you are making everyone happy, you are doing something wrong."

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Go Canes

Thanks for chiming in Mike and explaining from the top exactly what the SS does. For some reason this week on the board, the natives have been restless and the strangest people have been the target. You guys do a good job of interacting with the fans and if people can't understand why the shirts don't make it upstairs, well they don't understand how gravity works.

Thanks for chiming in Mike and explaining from the top exactly what the SS does. For some reason this week on the board, the natives have been restless and the strangest people have been the target. You guys do a good job of interacting with the fans and if people can't understand why the shirts don't make it upstairs, well they don't understand how gravity works.

My personal take on the Storm Squad this year is that they all (well, except for Mike) need to build some upper body strength. Their ability (or lack thereof) to fling t-shirts is abysmal this year. If they get past the fourth or fifth row in the LL they are having a good day. I have seen at least 3 instances of the shirt landing at their feet... And twice (that I have seen) the "shooter" hit the squad member holding the elastic band in the back of the head with the shirt. :blink:

Well, this was the post that addressed the t-shirts. It doesn't say they can't get them to the upper deck. Heck, I've seen them not even make it off the stair landing too. It's not about strength or gravity. It is technique. The girls of years past could fling them to at least the 200 section. MeanGene, you need to give a clinic.

I can appreciate all their other duties, and I'm sure they do a fine job, but this is one where everyone in the crowd is focused on them all at once, and then they fling a t-shirt from on the ice and it doesn't even make it over the glass. DOH !!!

What I think Mike said in legaleze is if the Storm squad is not expected to do anything but the minimum, then they should not be faulted for doing the minimum. In other words, the fake clapping, convenient smiles, chucking t-shirts and holding up giant VIC cards is as good as it's going to get, and that's all they are required to do. As someone that has attended Cane's games since the Greensboro days, and many, many Icecaps games before that, I believe there is NOTHING that says that while the Hurricanes organization continues to grow and progress, the Storm Squad cannot alter their "requirements" to further add to the entertainment value of the game experience. (At least to offset the rising cost of tickets, parking and the price gouging at the concession stands.) I can't believe that if you asked each Storm Squad memeber what they thought, they would say they were happy with just doing what's required.

Please believe the SS does a lot more than the minimum. That is not what I was saying at all. If you have any ideas of how we can enhance the game experience, i would love to hear them.

In the past, the Storm Squad seemed to genuinely care about the team and really got into the game. Nowadays, they just don't seem sincere enough.

Regards,

The UFC chick that blows kisses to the camera after carrying the Round 1 sign around the Octagon.

Have not read all the posts but the storm squad is not a cheerleading crew, they are a sponsored groip of game operatives. If the Canes wanted cheerleaders, they would buy them pom poms.

Thier job is go to events and represent the canes and shoot T shirts during games and run the between periods stunts and games.

They are there to represent the sponsor--Eye Care Asscciates.

I have to laugh at the first post of talking about they only wave to men so they can get hit on. I guess the two that sit by me were hittng on my 7 year old nephew since he was waving at them and they waved back.

And all those kids I see in the consourse they are talking to.

Oh, how a middriff on a 22 year old can scare older women.

Thunderball's right: Cheerleaders, especially song girls (http://sait.usc.edu/recsports/spirit/song/home.html), use pompons during their on-field and on-court activities.

My personal take on the Storm Squad this year is that they all (well, except for Mike) need to build some upper body strength. Their ability (or lack thereof) to fling t-shirts is abysmal this year. If they get past the fourth or fifth row in the LL they are having a good day.

*facepalm*

Oh, well ... if that's all the upper-body strength a Storm Squad member needs, I should move from SoCal to 'Canesville, just so I can audition for next year's team. (Every one of my three weekly cross-training workouts includes a session of full-body pushups.) And if enthusiasm's what's needed, I can bring it loud and clear. Any call for a 47-year-old Storm Squad member, folks? ;)

Jan/GSBG

P.S. Compared with what the Anaheim Ducks' Power Players and the Los Angeles Kings' new ice crew wear, the Storm Squad's uniforms are as concealing as Salvation Army suits. Come to think of it, neither the Ducks' nor the Kings' ice teams are exactly knocking themselves out to pump up their home crowds ...

P.S. Compared with what the Anaheim Ducks' Power Players and the Los Angeles Kings' new ice crew wear, the Storm Squad's uniforms are as concealing as Salvation Army suits. Come to think of it, neither the Ducks' nor the Kings' ice teams are exactly knocking themselves out to pump up their home crowds ...

I for one am glad they don't run around looking like strippers

I think their outfits are tastefully done.

I for one am glad they don't run around looking like strippers

I think their outfits are tastefully done.

I'll second you on that, WC07. There's no question that the Storm Squad is outfitted in one of the classier "ice team" uniforms in the league.

(Note: Neither me nor Mr. GSBG are fans of stripper-esque cheer-team attire at any level. That's why we appreciate the understated class of the USC Song Girls, still stunning in the white sweater sets they first made famous more than 30 years ago.)

Jan/GSBG

They don't have to dress like strippers to be entertaining. Mike asked for suggestions. I will have to go back to an earlier post where I stated TEACH THE GIRLS TO SKATE! Let them shovel snow. Then next year look for girls with cheer/dance experience. I can't take anymore musical chairs with Stormy. By stating "that's not what we do or who we are" is a cop out. No one should be happy with the status quo. Again, let me state that I am not a Stars fan, but look up the Stars Ice girls or even the Islander's ice girls and you can see how the Storm squad could change things up abit to become more apart of the game experience. At this point I think the Storm Squad is more apt to fade into the background.

Maybe the Storm Squad are afraid of catching the injury bug, so they're keeping their movements at a minimum.

It's funny that we're talking about maintaining a family atmosphere at a sport where disagreements are routinely settled through fist fights. Scantily clad women: scandalous! 230-lb men pummeling each others faces: family entertainment.

That said, just say no to ice girls. Please.

It's funny that we're talking about maintaining a family atmosphere at a sport where disagreements are routinely settled through fist fights.

Scantily clad women: scandalous! 230-lb men pummeling each others faces: family entertainment.

Put them both together and you may have a new hit reality TV show on your hands:

"Scantily clad women pummeling each others faces."

:D

I am not intimidated by girls in short shirts. I could wear one if I wanted to. I could care less what they wear. I do think they should get one the ice like others do and shovel snow. THEY DO NOT LEAD CHEERS ANYMORE and I thought that is what they were there to do. The days of the girl with the cowboy hat were awesome. Maybe she should come back and coach them.

... Mike asked for suggestions. I will have to go back to an earlier post where I stated TEACH THE GIRLS TO SKATE! Let them shovel snow.

Well, if nothing else, solid skating has always been a requirement of every young woman auditioning to be a member of the Ducks' Power Player squad. As a result, they can shovel snow with the best of 'em! ;)

(FYI, here's what this year's Power Player squad looks look like: http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=NHLPage&bcid=fan_pplayers' target="_blank">http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?service=page...id=fan_pplayers[/post])

Jan/GSBG

The Hurricanes were the first NHL team to use a Fan Development team. Most of the other teams with "Ice Girls" or some kind of "Patrols" contacted the Hurricanes' promotions dept. for ideas on how to start a team.