The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac29

Storm Squad

The Hurricanes were the first NHL team to use a Fan Development team. Most of the other teams with "Ice Girls" or some kind of "Patrols" contacted the Hurricanes' promotions dept. for ideas on how to start a team.

That's something I didn't realize, MeanGene. Thanks for the info.

Without a doubt, the Ducks talked with the 'Canes' front office at the start of this decade about how to implement their own fan-development crew. What continues to surprise me is how much later the Kings chose to start theirs -- this is the first season, believe it or not, for Team Kopitar's ice patrol.

Jan/GSBG

To be honest, I am old enough to be the father of most of these young women and have bunions older than them; the stuff with the t-shirt throws is just filler during a tv-time out. I go to games for hockey and not the fluff. But I am just a curmudgeon.

To be honest, I am old enough to be the father of most of these young women and have bunions older than them; the stuff with the t-shirt throws is just filler during a tv-time out. I go to games for hockey and not the fluff. But I am just a curmudgeon.

Mr. GSBG, my better half, is probably older than you, since he's less than two years away from the big five-oh. Like you, he watches sports to see the game itself ... but he definitely doesn't object to occasional shots of the USC Song Girls during Trojan football games. ;)

Jan/GSBG

To be honest, I am old enough to be the father of most of these young women

I have a daughter who is a senior at NCSU and I tried my best to get her to try out for the Storm Squad. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it to her if they wore some of the skimpier stuff. But alas, she wasn't interested. I could have had a lifetime supply of t-shirts.

We can debate the varying degrees of skimpiness. I mean for a couple of those teams the old line can be switched to "I went to a hockey game and a stripping broke out."

But I do wonder why we don't at least get the Storm Squad on skates? It is an ice event after all.

We can debate the varying degrees of skimpiness. I mean for a couple of those teams the old line can be switched to "I went to a hockey game and a stripping broke out."

But I do wonder why we don't at least get the Storm Squad on skates? It is an ice event after all.

I don't think the players would like having figure skaters out there tearin' up the ice... If they put them out there during the intermission, when would the six-year-olds have their games? Come on, those kids are entertaining.

That's a worthwhile point, remkin, one that seems reasonable. Heck, every one of the Ducks' Power Players (this year's squad is shown below) laces up her skates at some point during each game to shovel snow.

girls_00420web.jpg

Jan/GSBG

It's funny that if you go to NHL Ice Girls, all the pictures are of the girls ON THE ICE, except for the Storm Squad. Their pictures are of the girls doing the "railing sit". I also noticed that the Stars, Islanders and Duck's girls are wearing hockey skates. The Flyers and Penguins girls are dressed similar to the Storm Squad. Once again, it wouldn't take much to update the Storm Squad, they just need the will.

damn, I hope the ducks cheerleaders travel with the team, they make the storm squad look like red headed step children

No, NYM, they don't. (Actually, when Mr. GSBG and I came to Raleigh to see two 'Canes games in early '06, we commented to each other how much more attractive the Storm Squad was, compared to the Ducks' crew.) And -- just to step ever so slightly off topic -- the USC song girls, pictured below, is the only SoCal cheer group that deserves its kudos:

From the Rose Bowl ...

usc_song_girls_cc.jpg

... and during a mid-summer photo shoot (not all of the members are in the photo):

usc-song-girls_cc.jpg

Jan/GSBG

No, NYM, they don't. (Actually, when Mr. GSBG and I came to Raleigh to see two 'Canes games in early '06, we commented to each other how much more attractive the Storm Squad was, compared to the Ducks' crew.) And -- just to step ever so slightly off topic -- the USC song girls, pictured below, is the only SoCal cheer group that deserves its kudos:

From the Rose Bowl ...

usc_song_girls_cc.jpg

... and during a mid-summer photo shoot (not all of the members are in the photo):

usc-song-girls_cc.jpg

Jan/GSBG

Yes, that group is exraordinarily well put together. *Bites knuckle*

Yes, that group is exraordinarily well put together. *Bites knuckle*

And have been for 40 years. Just like the football team, the Song Girls are a long-standing source of tradition and pride at USC.

Back to the topic at hand: When Mr. G and I saw our two 'Canes games in '06, we had no problem at all getting amped up by the Storm Squad members, who did a terrific job bringing the audience's enthusiasm to some pretty great heights. (He also took note of the tiny brunette Squad member stationed near our section, saying she looked "unbelievable.")

Jan/GSBG

And have been for 40 years.

Those girls definitely don't look old enough to have been together for 40 years. They are well put together though. :D

As the mom of a former Storm Squad member, I can only remember how excited she was before, during and after the games. Her favorite part was interacting with fans. Men, women AND children. She still misses it to this day. She was on the squad for several years and actually watched children grow up before her eyes. There is a special bond between cheerleaders and the fans. Some she'll remember for the rest of her life. Being a part of winning the Stanley Cup w/ the fans is something she'll be able to tell her babies someday. She misses you guys but will be back on 11-23 I think. Give the new girls a chance. Its still very early in the season . GO Canes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a part of winning the Stanley Cup w/ the fans is something she'll be able to tell her babies someday.

Did she get a ring? That is a Stanley Cup ring?

remkin: The members of this year's Song Girl squad haven't been around for four decades; the institution of USC's songleading team, however, is. Here's the 1968-69 group, with that year's cheerleaders ...

... from 1968-69 ...

1969squad.jpg

... from 1973-74 ...

1973squad02.jpg

... from 1980-81 ...

1980squad02.jpg

... and from 1985-86:

1985squad.jpg

This link'll provide photos of Song Girl squads from 1996-97 to 2007-08: http://sait.usc.edu/recsports/spirit/song/...prevsquads.html

Bodyslam: Say hi to Holly for us -- we remember the wonderful rendition of the national anthem she sang on March 3, 2006, our second game at RBC. I also understand how cheerleaders and similar groups relate to the crowd, since I was a member of my high school's dance/drill team during my junior year. The connection between the fans and the dance-team members is electric, and I remember dancing for the football crowds like it was yesterday, even though i31 years have passed.

Personally, I find the Storm Squad much easier to look at than many of those other girls.

CA: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Mr. G and me, like you, appreciated the Storm Squad's looks when we saw the crew in person two years ago. If this year's group is anywhere as attractive, they've got to be stunners.

Jan/GSBG

The Storm Squad members do not get a Stanley Cup ring but we did buy our daughter the replica. GSBG, I'll pass on your message to Holly and thank you for the nice words :)

It's funny that if you go to NHL Ice Girls, all the pictures are of the girls ON THE ICE, except for the Storm Squad. Their pictures are of the girls doing the "railing sit". I also noticed that the Stars, Islanders and Duck's girls are wearing hockey skates. The Flyers and Penguins girls are dressed similar to the Storm Squad. Once again, it wouldn't take much to update the Storm Squad, they just need the will.

Where is Christy Yamaguchi when you need her!