The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac29

Storm Squad

IMHO, the ability to skate is a nice touch, but not a huge necessity. While the Power Players are strong skaters and are among the league's best in shoveling snow, they fail miserably in their efforts to work up enthusiasm and high spirits, which are what the economy-battered fans at Honda Center are sorely in need of. :(

Thanks kindly for passing along our good words and kind wishes to Holly, Bodyslam. It's very appreciated. :)

Where is Christy Yamaguchi when you need her!

You mean Kristi, Bret Hedican's better half, or a similarly named female who may not even skate? http://kristiyamaguchi.com/''>http://kristiyamaguchi.com/' target="_blank">http://kristiyamaguchi.com/[/post]

Jan/GSBG

I just read the bio for Laura, one of the new Storm Squaddies. It says she was a 4 year member of the Iowa State dance team. It's like the solution has been hand delivered to the Storm Squad! Is there ANY REASON Laura could not teach the rest of the Storm Squad SOMETHING?! They've got a built in cheer coach, now all they need is someone to teach them to skate! There has to be more than the "rail sit"!!!

Where is Christy Yamaguchi when you need her!

You know that gives me a crazy idea. How hard would be be to get a few decent figure skaters and come up with some kind of skating Laker girl rountine? Actual cheers on skates? Probably tough to pull off and actually look good. Does anyone in the league do this? Could be unique. Not that I don't like constantly coming up short on the cheap T shirt toss.

For what it's worth, I'm in no position to critique the Storm Squad for not skating during game breaks, since I myself don't skate. (Furthermore, I'd sell my soul to have a quarter of their looks.) As long as the young women on the crew are getting the home crowd revved up during games -- which, honestly, the Power Players need work on -- and representing themselves well away from RBC, they're doing their job just fine.

Jan/GSBG

I believe the whole idea of this thread is that the Storm Squad is NOT revving up the crowd this season. They have basically done the same thing since their first season, but this year they're doing it even more lackluster. Back in the early 90's, I attended many University of North Dakota hockey games. During intermission, the cheerleaders(actual college hockey cheerleaders) would skate onto the ice(operative word SKATE) and perform and lead cheers. During the game they would be on the steps also leading and performing cheers. I've been watching the Storm Squad "railing sit" since their first year and can't believe no one in the organization thinks it's time for the Storm Squad to "rev' up their game.

I believe the whole idea of this thread is that the Storm Squad is NOT revving up the crowd this season. They have basically done the same thing since their first season, but this year they're doing it even more lackluster. Back in the early 90's, I attended many University of North Dakota hockey games. During intermission, the cheerleaders(actual college hockey cheerleaders) would skate onto the ice(operative word SKATE) and perform and lead cheers. During the game they would be on the steps also leading and performing cheers. I've been watching the Storm Squad "railing sit" since their first year and can't believe no one in the organization thinks it's time for the Storm Squad to "rev' up their game.

It could be, BuffaloCanesFan, that the purpose of this individual squad isn't to do the rah-rah thing that college cheerleaders and song-squad members are known for. Just a thought, but you ought to call the member in the Canes' front office who works closest with the Storm Squad so you could share your comments and suggestions. At least you'll know you've made your voice known.

I know, on the other hand, that the Ducks' Power Players aren't meant to do the go-team-go cheerleader thing -- they 1) shovel snow during stoppages of play and 2) shoot T-shirts into the crowds during the "Bazooka Blast" gigs during each intermission. Period. (They also disappear totally from view during the game, which means they're far less accessible to fans at Ducks' games than the Storm Squad, who are in front of the crowd all game long. That's something to consider.)

Jan/GSBG