The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

News Report: Rutherford Speaking out

yep...totally with JR on this one.

The league really should have said something about this...to wait isthe same as saying nothing...IF they speak out on it in a day or so, it will have no weight...pardon the pun. :angry:

Yeah get that moral up for the players. I fell the same way how he does on this hit. I was mad that they didn't call anything when they did it was on us for Bayda for retaliation on the Islanders for hitting him.

Nice job JR. I completely agree with this. I don't think the hit by Weight was as flagrantly illegal as the ones in the past, but the league didn't do anything in those cases either. If he gets a fine for this, and I'm sure he probably will, then I'll be really mad about the whole thing. JR just raked them over the coals and they deserved it.

Also from the article...

Any discussion in the past about implementation of a head-checking penalty - for any contact to the head, accidental or otherwise - has resulted in a stated fear that it might discourage or reduce the amount of hitting in the game. It has, therefore, gotten little or no traction.

That any hit to the head is deemed OK is outrageous to me. I understand accidental contact, but if you institute the above mentioned head-checking penalty, it seems to me that the only type of hitting you will cut down on is...follow me closely here...hits to the head. They won't go away completely, as accidents happen. The NFL has a strict policy against contact to the head and it seems to work fine.

The comment I quoted above is absurd (or at least what the comment refers to). It seems pretty clear to me; penalize any contact to the head, you cut down on contact to the head, and protect players at the same time.

It seems to me that Brookbank mountain needs to be turned loose in any situation where a completely unnecessary, vicious hit like this has been delivered to one of our players. It is not 'clean' vs. 'illegal', it is simply 'Play a good physical game without TRYING to injure our players'. I liked Doug Weight when he was here, but Brookbank should have been out there at the next opportunity to address this.

A good solid hit is part of the game, but to lay a player out like this is completely unnecessary and if the league won't stop it from happening to our players, then our players are going to have to make it stop.

Hopefully the league has enough respect for JR that they will re-evaluate these kinds of hits and make them illegal.

I agree that hits to the head need to be addressed completely. However watching that hit on sutter last night.... that was a clean hit sutter leaned forward as weight put his shoulder up to shoulder him off as they were both going after the puck, Doug did what 90% of NHL players do and that is hit the person off the puck when your both going after it. Sutter leaned forward to try to reach the puck before him and paid the price. Doug weight had no intention of nailing him in the head like he did. It looked bad but that hit was pretty clean and more on the fault of sutter then anything doug did. However the overall hitting in the head needs to be looked at and a possible contingency rule in place.

Yes, but will anyone really listen? To the hockey elites up North we are a "NASCAR country" team that shouldn't even exist in the first place. It's not like a Leafs, Canadiens, Rangers, or Red Wings rookie/1st round draft pick ended up w/ a potentially career ending injury. The only reason we may get some attention is b/c of who Brandon's father is, the old boys club still likes to take care of their own, so we may get taken somewhat seriously, but that's about it. If in the near future we see Brookbank or Conboy do the same thing to Kyle Okposo, Luke Schenn, or Patrick Kane, watch all the snarky "he should have kept his head up" crowd scream bloody murder and call for suspensions, fines, public beheadings, etc..

I just read it wow...when Rutherford speaks aloud to the NHL, there is definitely a reason to listen, and I agree with his view. NHL has said it cares about hits to the head to make hockey seem more safe, but I have not really seen any changes to make me a believer.

Right answer is, its a contact sport, stuff happens. Also the NHL will listen, cause J.R. goes to the GM meetings, and Karmanos of course goes to meetings with the NHL owners and I'm sure he's not happy to lose key players to head shots.

Right answer is, its a contact sport, stuff happens. Also the NHL will listen, cause J.R. goes to the GM meetings, and Karmanos of course goes to meetings with the NHL owners and I'm sure he's not happy to lose key players to head shots.

Kidding right? When the NFL which has much more protective padding and helmets does more to protect its players that is just sad if not criminal for the NHL. Hockey players generate much more speed than NFL players as well.

The NFL has a rule about "receivers in a defenseless postion". This should be used in the NHL as well. I agree with JR. Until they do young men will have their careers shortened or ended. "Stuff Happens" cannot justify this.

:angry:

Yes, but will anyone really listen? To the hockey elites up North we are a "NASCAR country" team that shouldn't even exist in the first place. It's not like a Leafs, Canadiens, Rangers, or Red Wings rookie/1st round draft pick ended up w/ a potentially career ending injury. The only reason we may get some attention is b/c of who Brandon's father is, the old boys club still likes to take care of their own, so we may get taken somewhat seriously, but that's about it. If in the near future we see Brookbank or Conboy do the same thing to Kyle Okposo, Luke Schenn, or Patrick Kane, watch all the snarky "he should have kept his head up" crowd scream bloody murder and call for suspensions, fines, public beheadings, etc..

A more appropriate comparison would be if Brindy hits Patrick Kane. Doug Weight is no Conboy or Brookbank. That being said Weight didn't do anything wrong and doesn't have a rep for making questionable hits. He (or one of their other players) should have paid the price however and I am very disappointed in our team for not even a cursory retaliation. With 11 minutes to go in the period there was plenty of time wothout the death sentence for instigating inside 5 minutes.

I do think the NHL will listen to JR and very likely he will get a call from Colin or Gary about openly airing comments like these but in the end we will see some type of NO Head contact rule similar to the NFL.

Now I was going to post this in the other thread we already have going but I guess its more applicable here....

My caveat: My memory is terrible so its entirely possible I am forgetting something but Did anyone else notice what is painfully absent in this comment????

Rutherford told TSN.ca. "I've had four players - Erik Cole, Trevor Letowski, Matt Cullen and now Brandon Sutter - get badly injured on hits to the head and only one of the guys who hit them was suspended."

It may be apples and oranges but if he includes Erik Cole who wasn't hit in the head but Boarded from behind then why wouldn't Tanabe be included whose career is over as a result of a concussion blow to the head? Did it just slip his mind or an intentional omission or did it not fit the criteria he was talking about with guys needing to be suspended from "hard hits" to the head area? I just found it interesting when he threw out hits from two years ago but not one from more recently that has ended a guys career.... Just curious.

Or did I miss a true "concussion hit" on Erik?

A more appropriate comparison would be if Brindy hits Patrick Kane. Doug Weight is no Conboy or Brookbank. That being said Weight didn't do anything wrong and doesn't have a rep for making questionable hits. He (or one of their other players) should have paid the price however and I am very disappointed in our team for not even a cursory retaliation. With 11 minutes to go in the period there was plenty of time wothout the death sentence for instigating inside 5 minutes.

I do think the NHL will listen to JR and very likely he will get a call from Colin or Gary about openly airing comments like these but in the end we will see some type of NO Head contact rule similar to the NFL.

Now I was going to post this in the other thread we already have going but I guess its more applicable here....

My caveat: My memory is terrible so its entirely possible I am forgetting something but Did anyone else notice what is painfully absent in this comment????

Rutherford told TSN.ca. "I've had four players - Erik Cole, Trevor Letowski, Matt Cullen and now Brandon Sutter - get badly injured on hits to the head and only one of the guys who hit them was suspended."

It may be apples and oranges but if he includes Erik Cole who wasn't hit in the head but Boarded from behind then why wouldn't Tanabe be included whose career is over as a result of a concussion blow to the head? Did it just slip his mind or an intentional omission or did it not fit the criteria he was talking about with guys needing to be suspended from "hard hits" to the head area? I just found it interesting when he threw out hits from two years ago but not one from more recently that has ended a guys career.... Just curious.

Or did I miss a true "concussion hit" on Erik?

I noticed too but wasnt going to start that fire storm again, lol. Very ineresting indeed.......

I understand where JR is coming from with this one, but you can't honestly claim this Sutter hit was a hit to the head. Sutter leaned forward to reach for the puck, essentially putting his head at chest area. He doesn't do that, Weight lays a solid hit, shoulder to shoulder. If you put yourself in a vulnerable position like that, you're responsible for the consequences.

You can't honestly expect Weight to get penalized or suspended for the hit, because there's nothing he could have done to avoid it. Sutter was essentially on a breakaway if Weight lets him by. Rather than play the puck, Weight played the body. The hit was fine until Sutter reached for the puck, and by that time, it was far to late for Weight to change it up, if he even realized Sutter put himself in that vulnerable position.

I'd have to question his calls on Cullen and Letowski as well. Both those hits ended badly because the Canes players weren't paying attention, and the opposing players were. Both Cullen and Letowski were watching the pass instead of watching themselves. At least those were legit hits to the head, however. Neither of them were in a position similar to Sutter's.

After stewing over hits to the heads I've come to one conclusion. Respect.

If these players had any ounce of respect for each other, we wouldn't be having so many hits to the heads.

And please note I am not talking about this particular hit or saying Weight doesn't have respect. I'm talking more towards the Downey's, Hollweg's of the game.

I understand you are going to get that rare instance, but there are getting to be too many players in this league who just don't respect other players. And until they start respecting each other, we'll continue to have these hits to the head.

While I do think that Sutter did put him self in a vulnerable position...Weight made no attempt what so ever to play the puck. When a player does not go for the puck, all they are doing is head hunting.

Also Sutter was by no means on a breakaway...he barely had the puck on the tape of his stick and was holding on the the end with one had.

I can't really comment on Letkowski... didn't see that hit. I take issue with the hits on Cole and Cullen. Specifically, on Cullen, you can see Orr trying to hit him up high. That's a problem. However, I still maintain Weight did nothing wrong. He lowered his shoulder for the hit and Sutter lunged at the last second, lowering his head even more than it was. At the speeds they're skating, there's no way Weight could've let up. An unfortunate result... absolutely, but the one that's a catalyst for player safety.... not so sure. If Orr had lowered his shoulder and hit Cullen the same way Weight hit Sutter, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. Players have to realize that they need to keep their heads up.... especially when, like Cullen, they're cutting cross ice like that. Just ask Eric Lindros who was known for cutting like that, as well as all the concussions that went with it.

While I do think that Sutter did put him self in a vulnerable position...Weight made no attempt what so ever to play the puck. When a player does not go for the puck, all they are doing is head hunting.

Also Sutter was by no means on a breakaway...he barely had the puck on the tape of his stick and was holding on the the end with one had.

When a player doesn't play the puck, it means they're playing the body, which is perfectly fine. How many times last year did Ruutu completely ignore the puck, but instead attempt to lay out a player along the boards? Weight made the smart move, which was to use his considerable size advantage over Sutter to knock him off the puck.

Sutter wasn't on a breakaway, but had he gotten away from Weight, he would have been. Which is why it was better to play the body in that situation, instead of attempting to steal the puck back.

What's really ironic is that Brandon's relatives were known for hits like these when they were playing. Borderline dirty, massive open ice hits. You ask his father about the hit, and he'll probably say that Brandon should have kept his head up.