The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Playmaker-ch1

Overtime

Playoff style overtime has the potential to take all night...not the best scenario during the regular season in the first game of a back-to-back set. The only sport to compare, in terms of extra play taking a long time, is baseball and that is obviously not a valid comparison. While not perfect I think 5 minutes of OT with the shootout at the end is the best we can hope for.

Missed an option some may like:

5 minutes of 4 on 4 followed by sudden death 3 on 3.(penalties do NOT carry over) (It is unlikely this will take very long).

Added Caveat- Any penalty in the 3 on 3 period is penalty shot.

we all hate games that end in a tie!! The only reason we have this thread is because for the last three seasons we stink at shootouts. if we had one them all this thread wouldn't exist.

Wahhhhhhhhhh! My team sucks at the shoot-out, I want the league to change the rule to accommodate them.

give it a rest

It's true, Rules are Rules... Like it or not its there..

Now, imagine if we won it in the SO, would we have this discussion? No, yeah i know it sucks.. But atlesast we got a point..

The shootout is definitely an exciting part of the league and may help draw new fans, but I would rather have a tie. Nothing would make me angrier than to be one point out of the playoffs and the reason the 8th seeded team got their point is because they won 1 more shootout game than us.

It hurts alot less to lose in a shootout than in overtime because the shootout is one on one skills versus losing as a team on a dramatic goal. I'm glad we were able to get a point against the Habs since we came from behind on the road. Plus we didn't allow 60 shots on goal. :)

NONE OF THOSE OPTIONS....

ive been preaching this for 4 years now....5 minutes of 4-on-4, 5 minutes of 3-on-3, THEN shootout.

and for god's sake, if we keep it like it is now, make it 5 shooters. this 3v3 nonsense is ridiculous.

5 minutes of 4 on 4 followed by sudden death 3 on 3.(penalties do NOT carry over) (It is unlikely this will take very long).

I like that idea.

I voted for how it is today, altho I'd like to see the point system change to where you get 3 points for winning in regulation, 2 points for OT/SO win, 1 point for OT/SO loss and 0 points for regulation loss.

I'd like to see 3 points for a regulation win, 3 1/2 points if win is on the back end of back-to-back games. 2 points for an overtime win, unless it is a shootout win where all the shooters were right handed against a left handed goalie. In that case, only 1 3/4 points should be awarded, though I'm not sure why. Also, if the shootout is still tied after three shooters, each additional shooter will get multiple pucks to shoot at the same time. I'm still trying to figure out how many points that should be worth. B)

I'd prefer it to be real simple. Win = 2 points, Lose = 0 points. Once it gets to OT, 4 on 4 until the first score.

It might lead to insanely long games, sure. But with the new point system, the play styles of teams will change. Many teams, once it's tied in the third, will shutdown and "play for the point". And if they know they can win in a shootout, they'll shutdown in OT as well. If there's no "gimmie point" and no shootout, teams will play until that goal is scored.

Your suggestion is too similar to playoff OT, and the reason I don't like that is because of one of the first things you mentioned- insanely long games. That's just too much to handle during the regular season.

Wahhhhhhhhhh! My team sucks at the shoot-out, I want the league to change the rule to accommodate them.

give it a rest

Frankly, he's right. I like the drama of shootouts and the fact that one team is now guaranteed to win. The rule doesn't need to change... our performance in shootouts needs to change.

YES!!!

give it a rest

I couldn't agree more. Like I said earlier....once we are in the playoffs who gives a damn about shootouts.

I'd like to see 3 points for a regulation win, 3 1/2 points if win is on the back end of back-to-back games. 2 points for an overtime win, unless it is a shootout win where all the shooters were right handed against a left handed goalie. In that case, only 1 3/4 points should be awarded, though I'm not sure why. Also, if the shootout is still tied after three shooters, each additional shooter will get multiple pucks to shoot at the same time. I'm still trying to figure out how many points that should be worth. B)

I think you are pretty close there. I would allow the full 2 points on the right handed shooters/left handed goalie IF it was a full moon or the winter solstice.

The multiple pucks is easy: 2 hands, 2 sticks, 2 pucks. I think in this case, both the shooter and the goalie are blindfolded.