The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
golumx

HDTV

Someone please tell me why I can not watch games that are broadcasted in HD? Tonights game against the ducks is blocked except for Fox Sports South in stnd definition.

There could be a lot of reasons. I assume you have either cable or satellite that has an HD package included, yes? I know with our DirecTV, you pay a bit extra every month for HD channels - if you don't get the package, no HD for you.

I don't think FSS was broadcasting the Ducks game in HD at all - the only channel I saw it on in our online guide was 647 (646 is the FSS main HD channel on our system). I've seen on this board that FSS will only be broadcasting 15 games in HD this season. So to get more games in HD you might need an extra package like the NHL Center Ice.

Edited to add - I just checked FSS' schedule for Hurricanes games, and these are the ones it says it will be broadcasting in HD (the Ducks game was not included):

Thu 10/23 @ Pittsburgh Penguins 7:30 PM

Wed 11/12 VS WASHINGTON CAPITALS 7:00 PM

Thu 12/4 VS PITTSBURGH PENGUINS 7:00 PM

Wed 12/31 VS ATLANTA THRASHERS 8:00 PM

Sat 1/3 @ Tampa Bay Lightning 7:30 PM

Tue 1/20 @ Pittsburgh Penguins 7:30 PM

Thu 1/29 VS TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING 7:00 PM

Sat 2/14 VS COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS 7:00 PM

Sat 2/28 @ Atlanta Thrashers 7:00 PM

Thu 3/12 @ Dallas Stars 8:30 PM

Wed 3/18 VS NEW JERSEY DEVILS 7:00 PM

Sat 3/21 VS WASHINGTON CAPITALS 7:00 PM

Thu 4/2 VS NEW YORK RANGERS 7:00 PM

Two of the 15 they are broadcasting have already been shown.

No matter if you have NHL center ice pkge on directv its blocked because of fsn rights I hate it it standerd def but I have to live with it till they do more so just suck it up and watch like I do. No matter how much you spend no HD unless the 15 games.

Is it fair to assume that after the February date in which all stations switch to digital broadcast, the overall number of HD games will dramtically increase???

no. digital does not equal HD TV. I would not except any dramatic increase .. But I sure will be wishing for it!!

Can someone explain to me why they don't televise more games in HD? Is it a cost issue? If so, why? What is the added cost? I've seen the cameras at the RBC and they don't look like they're any different to operate than the regular cameras, so that can't be it. Maybe the HD cameras have an added cost to lease or something. I just don't get it... I saw on the Dallas Stars website that EVERY home game is televised in HD. It's just frustrating because the technology is obviously available, so why not use it!

Can someone explain to me why they don't televise more games in HD? Is it a cost issue? If so, why? What is the added cost? I've seen the cameras at the RBC and they don't look like they're any different to operate than the regular cameras, so that can't be it. Maybe the HD cameras have an added cost to lease or something. I just don't get it... I saw on the Dallas Stars website that EVERY home game is televised in HD. It's just frustrating because the technology is obviously available, so why not use it!

One issue is bandwidth. It takes more bandwidth, be it on cable or sattelite, to broadcast in HD...and bandwidth costs money. With the Stars broadcasting all home games in HD my assumption would be that their TV contract cost more than the current Hurricanes contract.

No matter if you have NHL center ice pkge on directv its blocked because of fsn rights I hate it it standerd def but I have to live with it till they do more so just suck it up and watch like I do. No matter how much you spend no HD unless the 15 games.

Wow. That really sucks. And good to know if you are mainly a 'Canes fan, too - not much advantage to paying extra for Center Ice then.

One issue is bandwidth. It takes more bandwidth, be it on cable or sattelite, to broadcast in HD...and bandwidth costs money. With the Stars broadcasting all home games in HD my assumption would be that their TV contract cost more than the current Hurricanes contract.

You also have to assume fewer households have HD so depending on the market you may or may not want to broadcast much HD (takes more expensive equipment which most broadcasters have limited access to). Though I have done exactly NO research into this, I would think in a 50 mile radius of the RBC Center only 40% of Canes fans actually own an HD set and have some sort of HD set top box (Time-Warner, Dish, DirecTV, etc.).

Not necessarily. FSN is broadcasting 65 games this year, that leave 17 games they are not broadcasting. If you have Center Ice, you will see those 17 games providing the other team is broadcasting the game. Much of the time the other team's broadcast is in HD.

I live just outside of Greensboro and have Time-Warner in the Greensboro market. When a game is broadcast in HD on FSN, a ticker will run across the top of the screen giving the channels in each market that will be carrying the games in HD. Thing is, the channel that it has listed for Greensboro is not a channel on my box. It's not even on the on-screen guide. Someone explain that one to me, 'cause I'm sick of having to squint at the screen! Arrrrgggghhhh!

If you get MOJO HD, you may to check that out on the night of one of the games listed to be broadcast in HD. Before my father made the switch to DISH Network, we were able to catch a few games in HD and what I noticed was that they would often broadcast them on the MOJO channel or one of the channels nearby.

Everything should be in HD in this day and age!

it is easier said than done, you have fewer households with HD thus lower ad revenue, HD is more expensive to produce. We are at least 5 years away from everything being in HD. Probably won't happen until Wal-Mart starts carrying 32" HD flat panels for $100.

I live just outside of Greensboro and have Time-Warner in the Greensboro market. When a game is broadcast in HD on FSN, a ticker will run across the top of the screen giving the channels in each market that will be carrying the games in HD. Thing is, the channel that it has listed for Greensboro is not a channel on my box. It's not even on the on-screen guide. Someone explain that one to me, 'cause I'm sick of having to squint at the screen! Arrrrgggghhhh!

The channel they are broadcasting on in G'boro may be part of an extra HD tier. Here in Raleigh on TWC the FSN HD games are broadcast on Mojo but you can only get Mojo if you have the HD Suite which is $6.95 extra each month.

The channel they are broadcasting on in G'boro may be part of an extra HD tier. Here in Raleigh on TWC the FSN HD games are broadcast on Mojo but you can only get Mojo if you have the HD Suite which is $6.95 extra each month.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. We get Mojo here but I never thought to check that because it always says something else is on on the guide. Maybe they just don't update the guide because there's just not that many games broadcast in HD. Thanks again! ;)

Another note from TimeWarner's email newsletter:

On November 20, 2008, MOJO will no longer exist as a network. MGM HD will replace MOJO on our HD Tier on Channel 291.

MGM HD features more than 4,000 films in spectacular HD from MGM studio's library.

Time Warner Cable is pleased to provide compelling HD programming with more coming soon, including:

Planet Green HD

CNN HD

Team HD

Game HD

Versus HD

I know they were going to launch Fox Sports Carolinas in HD, as noted in my earlier reply, but this doesn't letter doesn't imply that FS Carolinas will be launched by then either. Will update as I receive more info.

Versus shares its HD feed with Golf Channel, so it appears that the 2 may separate out. Team HD and Game HD are the sports packages (NHL center ice, MLB extra innings, & NBA)

It seems like the games televised in standard def on Fox NC have a much better picture when the Canes are away from home. The game this past Sunday was like watching a game after a 12 pack. While Tuesday and last night the picture was much clearer. The fuzzy picture along with the black jerseys last Sunday made it real hard to read the numbers on the tube.

The game this past Sunday was like watching a game after a 12 pack. While Tuesday and last night the picture was much clearer. The fuzzy picture along with the black jerseys last Sunday made it real hard to read the numbers on the tube.

That is a fact! I have a 42" Flat Screen w/the DTV HD package and that game looked terrible! Games in HD are great, that one obviously wasn't! The Hurricanes have a terrible TV package period! And when it comes to HD it pretty much doesn't exist (15 games out of 82). It's less than 25%! I live in Utah so going to the games isn't an option. Maybe broadcast all the road games in HD? I really wish the 'Canes would do something for their out of market fans regardless of where they live (Virginia, Utah, California...etc.) and bolster their HD coverage. Even more frustrating?....seeing a game broadcast on Center Ice for the Canes and their opponent and their's is in HD and ours is in std. def. So..I either have to watch it in HD and listen to their crappy announcers knock the Canes, or watch in std def for Tripp and John. Tripp and John win, but it's a choice I'd rather not have to make! :)