The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Ruutu and Others Playing Great!

Good post.

I'll add what I heard someone say regarding Bayda's play. "He plays every shift like he might be on the next bus back to the AHL"

No real chance of that, but he definately gives it all he's got. (Along with some others you mentioned).

3. Nic Wallin. Come on, who saw this coming? Unquestionably the biggest positive vs. expectation on the team. He was

clearly playing hurt before. This is like trading a bag of pucks for an extremely competent defensman. Complete gift

to the team. Will allow us to trade one of the other defenseman and feel good about it.

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=16068' target="_blank">Wote for Wallin[/post]

4. Chad LaRose. The fireplug has 4 goals and is a plus 3. He is on pace for 25 goals, and it could happen. He keeps

getting good chances. This is a guy I wrote off early as a lifetime 4th liner. He is a strong 3rd liner with second line

potential right now.

Remember the big argument we had here in July after Chad resigned and everyone thought we overpaid? I'm too lazy to go find it now, but go back and read it. It's funny.

Sutter, before he was injured, was the biggest surprise to me. Imagine when he bulks up. He's going to be really hard to knock off the puck. To be that young and to look right at home in the NHL is astonishing to me. What a great first round pick.

I like what I've seen from Eaves. 13 games, 2 assists, +1, 16 SOG. He's really showing some effort when he's on the ice. Averaging close to 13 minutes TOI. Maybe he's going to start putting up some numbers for us.

I like what I've seen from Eaves. 13 games, 2 assists, +1, 16 SOG. He's really showing some effort when he's on the ice. Averaging close to 13 minutes TOI. Maybe he's going to start putting up some numbers for us.

You know I agree with you. And I also think Samsonov looks pretty good. I would just like to see both of those guys find a few goals.

Nice to read some positive comments. There are definitely alot of players to be positive about. We sometimes get into a pattern of focusing on whats wrong or who isn't doing well.

Great post.. agree with all of that.. great assesment of some of our lesser known talent stepping up to the big club.

I would add to that Sergei Samsonov, as Remkin mentioned.. Sammy is skating well, looked really great tonight keeping the puck away from Ottawa players.. why he hasnt found the twine yet this season I dont know.. He has 24 SOG in 13 games, so nearly 2 a game.. he's trying hard.. hope he scores soon cause I know he has to be getting frustrated.. after 32 points in 36 games for us last year it looked like he was going to really turn his game around.

Leighton has impressed the heck out of me, getting wins at key times.. playing the second end of a back to back so Cam can rest and picking up the win.. crucial to our success right now.. With the win tonight Leighton is 5-1-0 and they have come at key times.. the win against toronto that was the first game of a home and home, the win tonight, the second game of a back to back.. 1 goal night tonight drops his GAA down to 2.40, slightly better then Cam, and exactly what you want to see from a backup. Cam plays three or four or five games in a row, wins a couple, loses a couple, throw in the backup for 1 game and he gets a W... Great job by Micheal Leighton.

Eaves continues to improve.. first couple of nights he was invisible, now he's making plays.. it will come in time.. he will start scoring soon I hope.

Patrick Dwyer logged over 10 minutes tonight with over 5 of them on Penalty kill. Great hockey instincts and his motor runs all the time. His penalty killing skill is why he is here and LaCouture is in Albany. I wondered why HE was brought up instead of some we had heard of. Now I know. :rolleyes:

Samsonov had the first hit of the game tonight... and quite a few more. IMO This is the way a professional shakes a slump: Fore checking, back checking digging the puck out on the boards... Not bad for a 5'-8" little guy. He doesn't look hesitant to shoot If the shot's not there, he's not taking it. IOW he isn't wasting a possession in hope he MIGHT score. And he is quick to make the pass to a teammate with a better opportunity. The goals will come if you don't press. Not contributing with goals? Contribute in other ways. You go Sammy!

Here's a positive... we are currently tied for 3rd place in the eastern conference. Granted, there are other teams that have a game or more in hand, but it still says something about our team. There is definitely room for improvement but we are NOT off to a bad start at all. If we win our next two games, we will be tied with the Rangers' current points. I think we can beat Atlanta and then get some revenge on the Caps.

That is Cool. I think that as a whole the team looks good. A little disjointed at time due to all the line changes. But all in all several of the new guys are working their way up to "Fan Favorite" I love Rosie & Mayo!

Oh! Does RPD have his mug shot?

Why does it always seem to be our 3rd or 4th line guys that standout? Last year,Bayda ,Aucoin,Walker line, was great, My mind is failing (Names) right now but there were other Rats that came up here and made pretty good statements on the ice. It has been a while since our top lines were just that"TOP LINES" It's really nice to see that some of our "lower line" guys are stepping it up because they are the ones keeping our heads above water right now!Keep up the good work guys!!

Has alot to do with if those 3rd and 4th liners have an off game they might get sent back down to the AHL where thier never seen again. Staal, brindy, Ward...etc they can have an off month and not worry about ever going back down.

It has been a while since our top lines were just that"TOP LINES" It's really nice to see that some of our "lower line guys are stepping it up because they are the ones keeping our heads above water right now!Keep up the good work guys!!

This is kind of what led to me posting this. Why are we winning when our top offensive players are not playing well. I think it has been largely because of the guys on my list. How long can they keep it up without our stars shining? No idea. I do know that it is very hard to keep up the full throttle efforts night in and night out, and that eventually talent must accompany effort to make the playoffs and especially to drive deep into the playoffs, since everyone is playing intensely then.

I really like Ruutu, somehow, I thought he was fitting well since his first day with the Canes. Now, he's really doin' a lot, playin' physical, skating hard and fast, and scores. I don't say he can replace Colesy, noone ever can, but he's close to takin' his part. In Addition, Tuomo is still a very young guy, he could have a great furture with this franchise...JR should keep him.

This is kind of what led to me posting this. Why are we winning when our top offensive players are not playing well. I think it has been largely because of the guys on my list. How long can they keep it up without our stars shining? No idea. I do know that it is very hard to keep up the full throttle efforts night in and night out, and that eventually talent must accompany effort to make the playoffs and especially to drive deep into the playoffs, since everyone is playing intensely then.

The answer to this question is not long.. in fact it may already be over.. the losses to Washington and Atlanta, our "hot" third line of LaRose Helminen and Ruutu was held mostly in check.. Ruutu scored against atlanta playing with Staal and Whitney.. LaRose Helminen and Ruutu were on the ice for Washingtons second goal, so i'm not sure which line Ruutu was with.. so far this year the lines have been juggled a bunch.

Against atlanta Bayda Helminen and Walker were the third line, we got goals by Whitney (on a line with Ruutu and Staal) and from Brindamour with Samsonov and Bayda (partial line change?) LaRose tried to come up to Brindamours line and spark him and Samsonov and got rewarded with a -4 for his troubles.

If we struggle again against Washington on wendsday and atlanta on friday something will have to change.. I dont know what.

Thankfully Sutter will be back wendsday *fingers crossed* and Pitkanen and Cullen should be back soon too. This will take some of the "have to carry the team" pressure of of Staal I hope.

Players that I have been impressed by:

Bayda - As mentioned by others, plays hard on every shift and doesn't look too out of place paired with guys like Staal and Whitney.

Kaberle - As poorly as he played at times last season, three points in four games-played is impressive. (Samsonov has three points in fifteen games-played)

LaRose - Continues to pester the other team constantly and his offensive play continues to show signs of improvement.

Pitkanen - Provided that offensive spark from the blue-line as expected, but his solid defensive play is really what has stood out.

The defense as a whole has also been impressive at times this season. The performance against the St. Louis Blues stands out.

Well it looks like we will be getting Cullen, Pitkanen and Sutter back soon. None to soon for me. Of course it will take a few games for them to get the timing back, but it's great news. I had Cullen and Sutter on my list, but I really think that a healthy Pitkanen will bring a lot, particularly with our top forwards struggling.

I would really love to see Sammy break the lid on goals tomorrow.