The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Rumors and other Rumblings for the 2008-09 season

Don't know about a two-year contract, but I'd welcome him back to Carolina on a one-year deal similar to what Wesley signed this past season. Anymore and that money would be better spent on someone with more potential.

Don't know about a two-year contract, but I'd welcome him back to Carolina on a one-year deal similar to what Wesley signed this past season. Anymore and that money would be better spent on someone with more potential.

it would depend on the $$$, the lower the dollar the longer the contract. If he wants what he is getting now then i agree on a one year deal.

I'd like to see him back...I think the one year thing might work. I'll talk to JR and see what I can get done. ;-)

As teams get disqualified, more rumblings will be going out in the media about Free Agents, etc.

Here's a first rumbling from the Boston Globe:

One of two things. He definetly wants to come back, or he is using Carolina as a leverage to get a deal with Boston.

It would also depend on what we are doing with trades, and the deadwood of Kaberle and Wallin. A. Ward is a decent stay at home guy and would be an improvement over Kaberle and Wallin. If we could miraculously find a way to release either Kabs or Wallin, and if Hedican retires. And if we bring in top tier guy in a trade for a forward, then I could live with A Ward as one of our lower pairings. But the D needs much more work than just adding a guy that will have amounted to a journeyman defensman.

I would expect to see him as part of the #2 pair with Corvo, with Gleason and a better free agent acquisition as the #1 pair and possibly a Borer/Wesley duo as the #3 pair.

If we are able to somehow rid the team of Kaberle and Wallin.

I am not too keen on a 1 year deal for the D. We need to plan more than 1 year at a time.

and... get younger not older.

I am not too keen on a 1 year deal for the D. We need to plan more than 1 year at a time.

and... get younger not older.

There are some reinforcements on the way in the form of guys like Brett Bellemore, Brett Carson, Tim Kunes, Justin Krueger, Kyle Lawson, Jamie McBain, and possibly Mark Flood. The key is to bridge the gap between now and the time when those guys become ready to transition to the NHL. Carson and Flood, in my opinion, could be ready to start that transition next season.

You guys need to get over the Wallin thing, he has a NTC and will not waive it. Kaberle on the other hand doesn't so he could be packaged with Cole and we just might get someone to bite on that. The bigger question is what team would bite and what the return would be.

The ONLY Wallin options I see is that he retire or get bought out but both would be a cap hit to us so I don't see that happening.

More about Aaron Ward:

Ward, 35, appeared in 65 regular-season games this year, averaging 20:44 of ice time. Ward scored five goals, including a pair in overtime, and recorded eight assists. Ward blocked a team-high 119 shots and landed 143 hits, third most on the club.

Ward said he would like a two-year deal and would likely draw interest from Carolina, his former team, if he hits the market. Ward acknowledged that two summers ago, when he signed a two-year contract with the Rangers as a UFA, it was one of the worst experiences of his life as he sweated out the first days of free agency. "Aaron fits into this team nicely with the team's style," said general manager Peter Chiarelli. "Blocking shots. Big, strong, competitive D. His leadership."

Side note: Alex Auld, an unrestricted free agent, will most likely look for work elsewhere. He was a very steady back up for the Bruins playing in 23 games, had a .919 save % and a 2.32 GAA. Just saying....

More about Aaron Ward:

Ward, 35, appeared in 65 regular-season games this year, averaging 20:44 of ice time. Ward scored five goals, including a pair in overtime, and recorded eight assists. Ward blocked a team-high 119 shots and landed 143 hits, third most on the club.

Ward said he would like a two-year deal and would likely draw interest from Carolina, his former team, if he hits the market. Ward acknowledged that two summers ago, when he signed a two-year contract with the Rangers as a UFA, it was one of the worst experiences of his life as he sweated out the first days of free agency. "Aaron fits into this team nicely with the team's style," said general manager Peter Chiarelli. "Blocking shots. Big, strong, competitive D. His leadership."

Side note: Alex Auld, an unrestricted free agent, will most likely look for work elsewhere. He was a very steady back up for the Bruins playing in 23 games, had a .919 save % and a 2.32 GAA. Just saying....

There are some reinforcements on the way in the form of guys like Brett Bellemore, Brett Carson, Tim Kunes, Justin Krueger, Kyle Lawson, Jamie McBain, and possibly Mark Flood. The key is to bridge the gap between now and the time when those guys become ready to transition to the NHL. Carson and Flood, in my opinion, could be ready to start that transition next season.

I agree with you on this JustJoe, we will have some young great defense potential canidiates in the 2009-2010 season. However we are all kidding ourselves if any of us think that Ward will sign anything less than a 2 year contract and you really can't blame him. He had a good year with Boston and a lot of teams are wanting a d-man just like him on their team. We will have to offer him 2 years or he's gone, he will get good 2 year offers elsewhere. He may love us and want to come back, but money and security talks and that is the bottom line. He would be the smartest move we could do for here and now, we know and love how he plays, the fans love him and it would be a great way to kick off our season and put some fire under the marketing of this team, he loves this team and players (but still questioning what that was about with the head banging on Wesley the last time we met Boston). To me it would be a win-win contract, of course we have to see what kind of money he wants and our cap.

Again, I can't wait for the day that Kaberle is off this team. This is why I hate 3 and 4 year contracts with players (of course there are always exceptions). Maybe by some great grace of the hockey gods he will come back next season after this last surgery and make us all eat crow. If he does I will gladly start a new thread on eating crow like I have in the past and will become one of his greatest fans---it is possible.

I agree with you on this JustJoe, we will have some young great defense potential canidiates in the 2009-2010 season. However we are all kidding ourselves if any of us think that Ward will sign anything less than a 2 year contract and you really can't blame him. He had a good year with Boston and a lot of teams are wanting a d-man just like him on their team. We will have to offer him 2 years or he's gone, he will get good 2 year offers elsewhere. He may love us and want to come back, but money and security talks and that is the bottom line. He would be the smartest move we could do for here and now, we know and love how he plays, the fans love him and it would be a great way to kick off our season and put some fire under the marketing of this team, he loves this team and players (but still questioning what that was about with the head banging on Wesley the last time we met Boston). To me it would be a win-win contract, of course we have to see what kind of money he wants and our cap.

Again, I can't wait for the day that Kaberle is off this team. This is why I hate 3 and 4 year contracts with players (of course there are always exceptions). Maybe by some great grace of the hockey gods he will come back next season after this last surgery and make us all eat crow. If he does I will gladly start a new thread on eating crow like I have in the past and will become one of his greatest fans---it is possible.

I feel your pain Caron, I felt that way about Turnoverdorsky!!! Even though it cost us JJ to dump him it was worth the price. I don't dislike Frankie but he got his free pass from me during the '06-'07 season. He did have some good moments last season but they were only "moments". I just hope JR can put a deal together that moves him (plus we will probably have to give up a forward and maybe a prospect) and gets us the D-man we need.

To be honest I wouldn't mind bringing Ward in here for 2 years. Just taking a guess, but I think he would take a home town discount to sign here, as long as the 2 years is on the table. He still has his house here, his wife and children have stayed here all season, and his wife has said she loves it in NC and doesn't want to move. Taking a discount to be with your family and retire here, is not out of the question for Aaron.

He is a steady force back there and something we could really use right now. Bringing him in shouldn't affect bringing in a top notch guy via trade. Once free agency starts and we see these puck moving defenseman bringing in $3.5-4M per year, Kaberle's $2.2 is gonna be cake to some teams. I don't think its out of the realm for a GM to take a chance on Kaberle since his contract will look decent compared to others. Or if we are having trouble, we can accidentally say Tomas Kaberle instead of Frank Kaberle :lol:

And of course the 2nd option would be to package him with one of our Top 6 forwards.

I would sign him to a one year. He is a good Dman.

Year Team GP G A P PIM

2005-06 Carolina 71 6 19 25 62

2006-07 Bruins 20 1 2 3 18

2006-07 NY Rangers 60 3 10 13 57

NHL CAREER (13 SEASONS) 632 35 80 115 576

Three Stanley Cups

Mod feel free to ad tabs to align columns... IGU!

To be honest I wouldn't mind bringing Ward in here for 2 years. Just taking a guess, but I think he would take a home town discount to sign here, as long as the 2 years is on the table. He still has his house here, his wife and children have stayed here all season, and his wife has said she loves it in NC and doesn't want to move. Taking a discount to be with your family and retire here, is not out of the question for Aaron.

He is a steady force back there and something we could really use right now. Bringing him in shouldn't affect bringing in a top notch guy via trade. Once free agency starts and we see these puck moving defenseman bringing in $3.5-4M per year, Kaberle's $2.2 is gonna be cake to some teams. I don't think its out of the realm for a GM to take a chance on Kaberle since his contract will look decent compared to others. Or if we are having trouble, we can accidentally say Tomas Kaberle instead of Frank Kaberle :lol:

And of course the 2nd option would be to package him with one of our Top 6 forwards.

I agree 100 million percent! I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a pay cut just to get back down here. If he wants it bad enough, he'll do what it takes. And considering all the factors you listed, it doesn't seem like a bad idea for him or for the Canes. I don't think he'll be the answer to all our problems, but if he can lay the hits and score some goals, I'm all for it! Sign Aaron and go from there as far as D is concerned. I'd love to see him back in Carolina reds.

I do not know how you guys feel about this but I would not mind seeing Bobby Allen getting singed by the Canes. He played here in Albany 2 years ago and he is a decent d-man. He know how to put the puck in the net for a d-man and he is pretty solid on the blueline as well. I loved when Bobby was here in Albany.

I do not know how you guys feel about this but I would not mind seeing Bobby Allen getting singed by the Canes. He played here in Albany 2 years ago and he is a decent d-man. He know how to put the puck in the net for a d-man and he is pretty solid on the blueline as well. I loved when Bobby was here in Albany.

Who is he playing with now?

Just looking at his stats, I'd have to pass. He's done nothing in the NHL, and his stats in the AHL aren't something to write home about.

Who is he playing with now?
He has been with Boston the past two seasons. I think he was hurt most of this season thow.

I think it would be good to get Aaron back for a year or so if he doesn't want tons of money and will take a discount to come back.

If Wes and Hedican retire the average age of our D will plummet :lol: So it is not like we will have lots of old dmen.

I don't know if it were me and I only had 2-5 years left, I think I'm trying to bank as much as cash as I can. He has to worry about where his $$$ is coming from when he retires. I doubt I would give a "home town discount", unless it were something more like Samsonov, where he just wasn't fitting in other places.

I don't know if it were me and I only had 2-5 years left, I think I'm trying to bank as much as cash as I can. He has to worry about where his $$$ is coming from when he retires. I doubt I would give a "home town discount", unless it were something more like Samsonov, where he just wasn't fitting in other places.

Good point, I think that people may be a little overconfident about Ward wanting to come back here enough to take a discount. He is loved and respected in Boston and has a good relationship with the media. Its been rumored that he would ultimately like to go into broadcasting when he retires so I dont know how quick he would be to leave that opportunity.

That said, its also well known that he has a great relationship with this organization and would be happy to play here again IF that's the best situation for him and his family. Id say its a coin toss where he ends up but Im willing to bet its either in Boston or Raleigh.

Good point, I think that people may be a little overconfident about Ward wanting to come back here enough to take a discount. He is loved and respected in Boston and has a good relationship with the media. Its been rumored that he would ultimately like to go into broadcasting when he retires so I dont know how quick he would be to leave that opportunity.

That said, its also well known that he has a great relationship with this organization and would be happy to play here again IF that's the best situation for him and his family. Id say its a coin toss where he ends up but Im willing to bet its either in Boston or Raleigh.

The ubiquitous one-year contract... Still * bent on out clevering ourselves are we? One-year contracts are great to offer players you want to leave or players who are asked to play one more year or to players who want to sign and retire the next day. In the category of smart moves, one-year contracts are bottom feeders.

Ward likes it here! He's got a wife, family and home here. Thumbing your nose at players who produced in the past and present with one-year offers, not only damages your present situation, but also harms you in the future. Players may not talk a lot about the management policies and attitudes of GMs, but their agents sure do. Sound familiar? I wrote something very similar about Samsonov when it was suggested we insult him with a one year deal. Either offer Ward a two-year deal like he asks at a price that works for us or don't offer him at all. Either way is OK but insulting offers is just not the Canes way of doing business.

As I understand it, Wesley wanted a one-year deal or no deal. While the Wesley's contract might look like what you propose to offer to A Ward, the similarity of circumstances ends there. <_<

If Wesley wants to retire and Ward is willing, I favor signing Ward to a two-year deal. He is a veteran who blocks shots, plays solid D and provides leadership. In my gut I feel our best shot is to find the very best Defense Coach available and hire him to train and coach our D. A top flight Dcoach just might be able to coax decent play out of Kaberle and Wallin. Corvo is the puck-moving Dman we want and need. Kaberle showed signs of returning to form. (IMNSHO Just recovery from surgery is not all he needs, thus the Dcoach.) Gleason, Seidenberg, Borer, Conboy and maybe a converted Brookbank to D, plus any other "prospect" level players would all benefit from top-flight coaching. A D coach with a reputation might entice some younger guns to come here to be trained by the best. Since I haven't seen this suggested before, however, I suspect the idea sucks. :rolleyes:

As to another suggestion, with the value of top Dmen going up every day, landing one for "Kagerle packaged with Cole" seems like a pipe dream. Any GM who bothered to read these boards and saw our collective opinion of those two would be insane to go for that deal. :blink: