The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Rumors and other Rumblings for the 2008-09 season

While it is Eklund, here was a little piece from his most recent report:

Could the Hurricanes be that team? If so, how far up in the draft could the team potentially move if they packaged either Cole or Whitney with the #14 overall pick? I would say there are four defensemen is this draft class that could possibly contribute immediately to the team that drafts them. Maybe a trade with the St. Louis Blues for the #4 overall pick?

Defensemen that contribute right out of the draft? A rare commodity indeed.

Edmonton is shopping their first round pick. I would like to see the canes offer Cole and hamilton for the pick. That frees up 4mil from cole, .8mil from hammy and hedicans 2.5. Then sign campbell for 6.5-7 mil. That makes the money even. So basically you get campbell and a first rounder for cole and hamilton.

as much as i'd like to see campbell on the team..i could bet theres no way he's coming this way.

Agreed...he does not seem to be what this team needs. We need someone who will like this area and wants to stay. Whoever signs him will have to constantly be looking over their should worrying if he is going to be unhappy.

www.HockeyBuzz.com states "Ray Emery-Possibility of getting moved 60%...Teams interested inlude...Washington, Chicago, LA, and Carolina"

First of all...its Eklund, nuff said. Second, last I read, we have two goaltenders signed.

well he would help out with the toughness/keeping other players from taking liberties. haha j/k. you think eklund actually reads that nonsense before he posts it on the internet? i mean he follows the league every day how could he not know we already signed our backup? not to mention ray emery does not want to be a backup.

I wonder if teams ever start these rumors for their own advantage. For instance, maybe one of us should call Eklund and tell him the Canes are negotiating with a defensemen to replace Gleason... maybe that would pressure him into signing? (You know that whole reverse psychology thing). Just a thought.

www.HockeyBuzz.com states "Ray Emery-Possibility of getting moved 60%...Teams interested inlude...Washington, Chicago, LA, and Carolina"

Only team there I think could be interested would be LA. At least Ecklund could put some thought into what he post, like TSA said, we have two goalies under contract. Washington will probably re sign Huet, Chicago has Khabibulin, corey crawford, and Lalime.

None of which are experienced enough to be a starter.

Emery's got problems, but he's a legit goaltender.

Hey, we started Cam his second season so I could see them staying with either of those younger guys. Fleury also had the starting goalie load tossed on him when he was very young, and look how he and Cam are both turning out.

Yeah but their goalies are not nearly on the same level Ward and Fleury are on yet and Bernier is the only one who could be. He's still 19, they won't rush him.

I felt that LA would have been a great place for Johnny. I know many here didnt like his style of play and so on and whatever. I just felt that LA would have been a great fit for him.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=240960

Trade discussions will heat up this week leading up to the draft as teams eager to move up make their play.

San Jose, Florida and the Carolina Hurricanes are considered to be among the most likely to make a significant trade.

Carolina's Jim Rutherford remains on the hunt for a defenseman, with Edmonton's Joni Pitkanen believed to be one of his targets. Names like Erik Cole, Justin Williams and Tuomo Ruutu are being tossed around as bait.

^I saw that on TSN as well. There's an oiler fan who frequents one of the Canes boards frequently and he said theres alot of talk going on with a trade being discussed with Carolina.

As for the 3 names being tossed around. If JR trades Williams he needs his head examined. Pitkanen is yet to be signed and will be expensive. Williams is locked up for the next 3 years at a decent salary.

As for Cole and Ruutu, will hate to see either go, but both are a pain to sign and Pitkanen would make our backend that much better.

Spectors update about the Pitkanin rumor:

The Hurricanes are in the market for a defenseman and Edmonton's Joni Pitkanen could be a target. Erik Cole, Tuomo Ruutu and Justin Williams are rumored to be trade bait.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Pitkanen might not be avaiilable as the Oilers apparently remain hopeful of retaining him. No doubt the 'Canes want to bolster their blueliner and Cole and Ruutu could be shopped but I'm not convinced Williams is available.

I agree with Colseylarosefan, shopping Williams makes no sense with his contract unless they're just trying to draw some attention, then negotiate with another player. That really doesnt seem like JR's style though, he's pretty straight forward.

Ron Hainsey, D

After solid back-to-back seasons with the Blue Jackets, Hainsey's likely to receive a solid raise with someone.

2007-08: 78GP | 8G | 24A | 32PTS

Est. 2008-09 Salary: $3,000,000 Columbus, Chicago, Buffalo, Carolina - Available

This was posted on the TFP and included in the "TOP 30 UFAs". It had Carolina's name in the potential "Teams with Interest" and was wondering if there were any thoughts?

Thanks!

Agree with those balking at trading #11.

Of the 3 players mentioned Williams is the hardest to replace and IMO the best value on the team.

I realize that also means GMs covet him more - please JR do not trade him unless we get Pronger ;) in return.

I don't really want Pitkanen to be honest, I'm fine with Corvo, I want a good who can play defense pretty well if we give up Cole or Ruutu...I also agree, it would be crazy to trade Justin.

I would hate to be too vocal here but, H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS NO TO PRONGER!!! I would rather have a team of 30 one-armed grandmothers in wheelchairs than a team that included one Pronger... :lol:

I was just trying to make the point that we should get more for Williams.

IMO Pronger is the best in the league so that would count as more.

Not sayin #11 would get us a Pronger either - just that I would rather us keep Williams than add another offensive minded Dman.

This via HF:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f0&...k=62933&p=2

- The Avalanche are talking new deals for Adam Foote and Kurt Sauer on their back end. But what about unrestricted free-agent defenceman John-Michael Liles? He had a spotty regular season, but was the Avs' top dog in the playoffs. If they don't sign him, he'll be a member of the Carolina Hurricanes -- in a heartbeat.

Jim Matheson from the Edmonton Journal says that JML will sign, as an RFA, with Carolina if the Avs can't get a deal done. Anyone know what ties he (JML) has here that would make Jim so sure? Lavi and he were on the Olympic team, but those aren't huge ties.