The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Rumors and other Rumblings for the 2008-09 season

Point is Williams plays in all situations for this team. You trade him for yet another defenseman, who picks up the slack on the PP and PK? You can't just replace him with the hopes that Eaves gets back to form or the hopes that O'Neill can regain his touch. The team HAS to make the playoffs this year, and trading one of your better forwards, who is young and has one of the best contracts, just doesn't make any sense.

Well said - don't trade #11.

Ruutu somewhat makes up for losing Cole but IMO no one on this roster can replace Williams.

I like Bieksa but not that much.

Another thing about Williams. While he had an off year even before the injury, the guy has proven the ability to score 30+ goals, having done that both of the years prior to last year.

By comparison there were only 28 30+ goal scorers in the entire league last year. Not even one per team. And the names on that list are big. Look at the names on the list of 30+ goal scorers and ask what kind of defenseman would warrant trading any of them.

After giving up two proven point producers in the last year (Stillman and Cole, though they had both fallen off a little), let's not give up any more until we actually see what the likes of Eaves and Ruutu can produce, not to mention the (hopefully small) chance that Sampsonov might revert to old habbits. By the way I firmly beleive that Sammy will light it up. I am just pointing out the incredible value of guys who can score points at a very high level consistantly. There are very few of them in the league, and some teams don't even have one. Let's not trade Williams. By the way, this also holds for Whitney.

Edit: PS. I do want another defenseman for that #4 spot, but unless we somehow dump 3 defenseman, I don't see it actually happening. Certainly not for Williams, who in addition to his scoring does the other things mentioned by others (back check, pentalty kill, etc).

The only way I see us trading Justin Williams is if some extremely competent insider has seen him skate and made a judgement that he would never fully recover from that knee injury, and would never be as good as he's been prior to it. Nothing else make sense, as we need a player like him and do not have a capable replacement at this moment.

Let me make this simple......THE CANES DO NOT NEED TO ADJUST THE ROSTER ANYMORE! The forwards are set, the defense is set, and the goaltending is set. If JR can drop Kabs, thats great, but they don't need another top defenseman. Don't listen to Eklund, he's an idiot who essentially makes up half the rumors. The roster is as good as it gets in the NHL. Wait for the season to actually start before you call for another major trade.

Notice that Kabs played well at the end of last season; specifically with Corvo. Let's give him a chance before we sell out on him. To me, that's what JR is doing right now...keeping him and seeing what happens. His salary is a whole other issue, but his play wasn't that bad at times last year. Just saying because the whole Kabs hating thing has gotten a little old.

Notice that Kabs played well at the end of last season; specifically with Corvo. Let's give him a chance before we sell out on him. To me, that's what JR is doing right now...keeping him and seeing what happens. His salary is a whole other issue, but his play wasn't that bad at times last year. Just saying because the whole Kabs hating thing has gotten a little old.

It has been stated in the N&O that JR was needing to get below the self-imposed cap and that Kaberle and Wallin were the likely candidates to go if Wallin will waive his NTC.

I say we keep Kabs if its possible to keep him and stay under the self imposed Cap, after all it is a contract year so maybe he will have some extra motivation to play better. Whether or not he does better we either let him go as a FA or trade him by the deadline.

I say we keep Kabs if its possible to keep him and stay under the self imposed Cap, after all it is a contract year so maybe he will have some extra motivation to play better. Whether or not he does better we either let him go as a FA or trade him by the deadline.

how do we do that? you need to do the math, we have to cut $3mil+ somewhere!!

The opportunity to trade Kaberle may not come until later in the year if another hopeful playoff team has an injury and needs the help. A good start (in a contract year) may speed that up. That being said, once again, Kaberle has a reasonable contract and another GM may take a chance that he will step up in a contract year. I don't hate the guy, but sometimes you need a fresh start somewhere and with the moves J.R. has made, it is apparent that Kab's future isn't here.

Some teams may also want to see what they have in training camp before they make a deal. That may be the other chance.

how do we do that? you need to do the math, we have to cut $3mil+ somewhere!!

Do we? Yeah, we have a self-imposed cap, but it's not like it's a necessity to get under it before the start of the season. We could shed some salary at the trade deadline, or (if we get deep into the playoffs), might not have to shed any at all.

Pehaps Kaberle played better towards the end. That just means he wasn't as glaringly awful, he still wasn't particularly good. I hope he can come back and return to form as a decent puckmover, but if he is as bad as he was for most of the year, he will have to be traded or waived. Frankly (no pun) he will either improve or get waived. It does not seem likely that anyone will take him now.

There's no way we dump 5 million, which is what it would take to get under the self-imposed cap. IceFrog makes a good point, it's not like we pay everyones salaries right at the start of the year. PK is flexible with it if the team is doing well and makes the playoffs, which we hopefully do. I know we do need to shed some salary, but Kabs is just 2.2, where would the other 1mil plus come from?

Just an FYI, Kaberle is not in a contract year. He is signed for 2 more years.

Cutting salary isn't very important right now. If we can dump Kaberle, then great. We are more likely to see a salary dump around the trade deadline if we aren't looking very good. If the team isn't in a good position at that point, I would expect a few players to be traded and a rebuilding process to begin.

There's no way we dump 5 million, which is what it would take to get under the self-imposed cap. IceFrog makes a good point, it's not like we pay everyones salaries right at the start of the year. PK is flexible with it if the team is doing well and makes the playoffs, which we hopefully do. I know we do need to shed some salary, but Kabs is just 2.2, where would the other 1mil plus come from?

Though technically correct, the teams seems a bit anal about getting under their self-imposed cap. I am sure PK looks at it long term and if they are over then that is money out of his pocket unless we have 41+ consecutive sellouts. And no they won't get penalized by the league but JR will have to deal with the wrath of PK. You got to remember this is a business and if the revenue stream isn't there (the gloom and doom and mass exodus predicted by some if we don't go undefeated) then that money has to come from somewhere. If you are projecting your October payroll to be $8.5mil (monthly player salaries only) but only have $7mil then the difference has to come from somewhere.

What some of you don't understand is that if the cap is at $56mil, that is not a wad of cash the league gives us to spend (and by spending only $46mil we are pocketing the difference). JR and PK have sat down and figured what they think the will get in from different revenue streams (tickets, parking, concessions) plus also factored in going at least a round or two into the playoffs. This most likely is how they arrived at their self-imposed cap number.

No we don't pay their salaries at the start of the year, but how ever many games X player plays with the club before being traded, PK has to pay. If Kaberle plays 55 games and then gets traded, PK needs to pay Kaberle for those 55 games. The team Kaberle goes to does not pick up his full salary for that year. So PK would only be shedding half of Kaberle's salary. He needs to shed Kaberle's full salary to get him anywhere near close to his budget.

Once Sundin figures out what he's doing, GMs will start putting the finishing touches on their team and that is when we'll start seeing movement again.

This is probably a dumb question...but why is everyone waiting on Sundin??

there are a bunch of teams that are wanting him and have plans contingent on landing him, if those plans fall thru then everyone and their brother have Plan B's and C's in regard to moving players around. All the wheeling and dealing is not done.

So according to those of you who saw O'neill at practice and what Forslund apparently said in an interview the other day, the Canes might be adding O'neill to the lineup if camp goes well. So if that happens, who do we cut? We've got 12 signed forwards, 13 if Sutter plays. Add O'neill and thats 14. Is it possible to just have Sutter play in Albany and wait till injuries hit? If so, I think thats the best route. But if I remember correctly there are some complicating matters this year as far as where Sutter is and is not allowed to play. Regardless, we still have too many in the lineup. Not to mention the D. Trade Kabs and a forward away? For what though? LaRose is getting more bank than we want to pay... Or do we ditch Brookbank? My guess is Bayda, as much as I like the guy. I realize this is all pure speculation but theres nothing better to talk about right now.

Sutter can't play in Albany b/c he won't be 20.

A forward doesn't have to be traded if O'Neil makes the cut. We can carry 23 players, so if Kaberle goes, Bayda can be the 13th forward with Brookbank the 14th. One of O'Neil or LaRose would sit for games in which Brookbank will be needed. There will be an injury or two or three in the top 9, so having Bayda stick around as the 13th forward wouldn't be a bad idea. Then when that injury occurs, you can move O'Neil up as he'll be a better option than LaRose or Bayda.

Sutter can't play in Albany b/c he won't be 20.

A forward doesn't have to be traded if O'Neil makes the cut. We can carry 23 players, so if Kaberle goes, Bayda can be the 13th forward with Brookbank the 14th. One of O'Neil or LaRose would sit for games in which Brookbank will be needed. There will be an injury or two or three in the top 9, so having Bayda stick around as the 13th forward wouldn't be a bad idea. Then when that injury occurs, you can move O'Neil up as he'll be a better option than LaRose or Bayda.

Yea, and thats not necessarily a bad idea. But with this team wanting to cut payroll, is that gonna happen? I'm not sure. As long as we win I dont care.

if we can do something with Kabs and possibly one more (trade for picks or prospects) then that will resolve the payroll issues.