The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Rumors and other Rumblings for the 2008-09 season

Looks like he's next to be signed. Sounds like its term length that they are going back and forth on

Gleason, Canes close to deal

defenseman could double his salary

Luke DeCock, Staff Writer

RALEIGH - Tim Gleason's head is OK. His wallet may be doing pretty well soon, too.

The Carolina Hurricanes defenseman survived a hit to the head at the World Championships earlier this month with no ill effects. With the tournament over -- Gleason and the United States lost to Finland in the quarterfinals -- the restricted free agent is working on a new contract with the Canes.

"We've kind of been going back and forth," Gleason said Wednesday. "Hopefully, it's coming toward an end soon. It's ongoing. We'll see what happens in the next little bit."

Gleason emerged as Carolina's top defensive defenseman over the second half of the season while making $1.175 million, a relative bargain. He stands to more than double that.

How much he ends up making will depend on whether the two sides agree on a two-year contract that takes him up to his eligibility for unrestricted free agency or a longer deal that buys him out of a year or two of free agency.

"It really comes down to a matter of how long the deal's going to be," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "It's about term, the length of the contract."

Gleason was injured on May 11 when Florida Panthers forward Olli Jokinen hit him from behind in the first of two U.S. meetings with Finland. Gleason missed the rest of that game and the next U.S. game as a precautionary measure after suffering a concussion in February.

"I kind of saw him coming but he went toward my head," Gleason said. "He hit me from behind -- not my body, pretty much my head. I think we were being more cautious because I had a mild one [concussion] a month ago, a few months ago now. I just took a break for a day or two."

Carolina has four other restricted free agents at the NHL level: forwards Patrick Eaves, Chad LaRose and Tuomo Ruutu and defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.

The Canes retain the rights to any restricted free agents and have the option after July 1 to match offers or receive draft picks in return.

Good stuff, glad JR is taking care of this now so it can be done. I like Tim a lot and he has just gotten better the more he has played here.

The Gleason negotiations are on hold. They better get this figured out and soon. The D is our weakest link and we cannot let our best defenseman go.

Tim Gleason's agent, Pat Morris, said Friday that negotiations over the restricted free agent's contract have stalled.

"Things have ground to a halt," Morris said. "They're staring at us and we're staring at them. We're not prepared to do a deal at their numbers and they're not prepared to do a deal at our numbers."

Wednesday, Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said the two sides were engaged in bargaining over the length of the deal: a two-year contract that takes him up to his eligibility for unrestricted free agency or a longer deal that buys him out of a year or two of free agency.

If he isn't re-signed by July 1, Gleason could be the target of offer sheets from other teams. While the Hurricanes retain matching rights, they would only receive draft picks in return if they chose not to match any offers.

Morris said he hasn't seriously discussed the offer-sheet process with Gleason yet, but that the negotiations with Carolina have run out of common ground.

"I'd call it breathing space," Morris said. "We'll re-evaluate our positions, but at this point there are no future talks. The objective is still to get Tim signed."

Morris also represents Chad LaRose, another restricted free agent, and said negotiations on his contract were just beginning.

The Gleason negotiations are on hold. They better get this figured out and soon. The D is our weakest link and we cannot let our best defenseman go.

Scott Boras type hard ball. ;)

Has anyone entertained the idea that Gleason may not want to stay here?

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=238392&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl' target="_blank">TSN's Scott Cullen[/post] recently posted his off season game plan for the Hurricane's. Top needs, he says, are one top four defenseman and one depth defenseman. A pretty complete review of the team if you haven't seen it.

Finally got around to reading this. Interesting... No mention of Leighton hanging out in the wings....

Well that would leave us in some serious defensive trouble, no?

According to that article, the agent hasn't even gone over with Gleason what would happen if he isn't signed, which leads me to believe that Gleason wants to sign here.

And if he wants to sign here, I don't see it as a money issue, which leaves it as a length issue. And if it's a length issue, it'll get worked out soon enough.

That is a possibility but I honestly think the whole thing comes down to Gleason wanting 2 years and no more. He'll be a Free Agent in 2 years, which will put him at 27 and where he probably will be a top defenseman then. He probably wants to hit the market and get the pay day. Whereas JR wants him to probably take a 4-5 year deal and eat into his Free Agency.

Besides after his exit interview it was mentioned that with Hedican and Wesley possibly retiring, they would look to Gleason to lead the back end. Gleason commented on how he is excited for the opportunity and Challenge. I think he wants to be here, but why eat into his free agency when in 2 years, if he improved to that top defenseman status, he'll get the big money.

That is a possibility but I honestly think the whole thing comes down to Gleason wanting 2 years and no more. He'll be a Free Agent in 2 years, which will put him at 27 and where he probably will be a top defenseman then. He probably wants to hit the market and get the pay day. Whereas JR wants him to probably take a 4-5 year deal and eat into his Free Agency.

Besides after his exit interview it was mentioned that with Hedican and Wesley possibly retiring, they would look to Gleason to lead the back end. Gleason commented on how he is excited for the opportunity and Challenge. I think he wants to be here, but why eat into his free agency when in 2 years, if he improved to that top defenseman status, he'll get the big money.

Damn good post, clf. If I'm Gleason, I don't want my prime FA years affected...money talks and everybody listens. Maybe Rutherford could go for a three year deal?

Damn good post, clf. If I'm Gleason, I don't want my prime FA years affected...money talks and everybody listens. Maybe Rutherford could go for a three year deal?

Why does Rutherford throw money at old beat up veterans and play hard ball with the young talented players?

Why does Rutherford throw money at old beat up veterans and play hard ball with the young talented players?

you know what you have with veterans (Hedican and Wesley) whereas young talented players (Jeff O'Niell, Andrew Ladd) are a crapshoot!!

you know what you have with veterans (Hedican and Wesley) whereas young talented players (Jeff O'Niell, Andrew Ladd) are a crapshoot!!

Pretty much all players are crapshoots. Anson Carter was a veteran of the game. And if Rutherford was expecting that performance out of Carter, and still brought him here, I question his sanity.

Pretty much all players are crapshoots. Anson Carter was a veteran of the game. And if Rutherford was expecting that performance out of Carter, and still brought him here, I question his sanity.

ok, you got me on that one. thought that would go better than it did.

I also think CF's post was spot on and it would make no sense whatsoever for Gleason to commit long term here when his payday could be pretty big in a couple of years. Its obvious that JR wants to sign him but with Ruutu's contract still up in the air (another higher one), something will have to be sacrificed if he wants to keep both.

As to the hard ball question, maybe its more about the young talented players playing hardball with JR, and the older vets know they dont have as many options?

I also think CF's post was spot on and it would make no sense whatsoever for Gleason to commit long term here when his payday could be pretty big in a couple of years. Its obvious that JR wants to sign him but with Ruutu's contract still up in the air (another higher one), something will have to be sacrificed if he wants to keep both.

As to the hard ball question, maybe its more about the young talented players playing hardball with JR, and the older vets know they dont have as many options?

If it comes down between Gleason and Ruutu, I would hope Rutherford will make the move to keep Gleason here as long as possible. He really needs to start working on securing the future of the defense.

If it comes down between Gleason and Ruutu, I would hope Rutherford will make the move to keep Gleason here as long as possible. He really needs to start working on securing the future of the defense.

100% Agreed.

IMO, defense should be JRs #1 priority and that's getting Gleason signed. And maybe JR just needs to bite and offer the 2 years. I know its not the ideal situation, but atleast you got him for 2 years.

Sign Gleason! If we get him, I think we are looking good next year. If our defense is strong, we have a definite chance at going far next year. If not, we are screwed. I want a winning season next year, and I definitely think Gleason is necessary to achieve that.

How much do you think Gleason is worth? My sense is JR probably looking at offering him a contract averaging $2.5- $3 million but I can see Gleason asking for $3-$3.5 million with a NTC.

How much do you think Gleason is worth? My sense is JR probably looking at offering him a contract averaging $2.5- $3 million but I can see Gleason asking for $3-$3.5 million with a NTC.

I don't think its the money, but rather the length. Its wether or not JR signs him up to UFA or past that.

they have decided on the money but aren't in agreement on the terms, Timmy wants a shorter contract and JR wants a 4 year deal.

Well that would leave us in some serious defensive trouble, no?

According to that article, the agent hasn't even gone over with Gleason what would happen if he isn't signed, which leads me to believe that Gleason wants to sign here.

And if he wants to sign here, I don't see it as a money issue, which leaves it as a length issue. And if it's a length issue, it'll get worked out soon enough.

Exactly, it might just take a week or so of Tim thinking it over, and then he might decide that he wants to stay here for a long time and signs a 4 or 5 year deal. They have worked out the money, so the harder part is behind them.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news...c2-58f7ac5f1e9b

- The New York Rangers are reportedly checking out Edmonton Oilers defenceman Joni Pitkanen. He may be expendable with a healthy Sheldon Souray, but the Carolina Hurricanes may have a bigger need for the puck-moving blue-liner than the Rangers. And the Hurricanes also have winger Erik Cole, who has big-time speed to dangle. That makes more sense. The difference is that Pitkanen is 24 while Cole is 29 and only has one-year left on his $4 million US a year deal before he's an unrestricted free agent. The Oilers would have to get a draft pick, too, from Carolina because of the age difference and probably some assurance from Cole he'll sign a long-term deal.

I understand why Gleason shouldn't sign long term and I'm sure the agents and younger players do play hard ball with JR. You mentioned something will have to be sacrificed if we keep Ruutu and Gleason. Are the salaries/contracts/clauses with our team working against us? What exactly will have to sacrifice? IMO, I feel like JR has thrown everything at veteran players and not leaving enough to re-sign or sign younger talent.

Please tell me if I'm wrong. I think younger talented players can be molded for the future but coaching and TIO is crucial. But politics keep certain teams from allowing this to happen. Your highest paid players will get the most TOI. For us it seems like we don't have room for anyone to grow because our veterans are getting all the $ and TOI.