The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Rumors and other Rumblings for the 2008-09 season

Well, if you believe the "Injuries and why they love us" thread, Gaborik must be meeting us in Pittsburgh for tomorrow night.

hrhr, n1! :D

Well, Shanny would be a big one, but...I think most of the teams just aren't goin to pay his salary, just like JR isn't. Lookin for a short term forward right now, Shanny would be god-like.

(((BREAKING NEWS))) Marian Gaborik out 6 years with a lower body injury. J/K

I bet JR offers him 8 years. It'll pay big dividends in say.....the last 2 years of the contract?

sarcasm warning

The Cane's can't afford to pay Gaborik. Now he could put up insane numbers here, but rumors are he wants to play in a major market, hence LA and Montreal. We don't quite fit that bill.

I know he has been injured alot recently, but this guy scores 40 goals a year. Dang would it be fun to see him and Staal together.

The Cane's can't afford to pay Gaborik. Now he could put up insane numbers here, but rumors are he wants to play in a major market, hence LA and Montreal. We don't quite fit that bill.

I know he has been injured alot recently, but this guy scores 40 goals a year. Dang would it be fun to see him and Staal together.

It would be nice, but won't ever happen. No one on this team will make more than Staal in the near future. Gaborik is looking for $8-9M in his next contract. We'll probably see him with the Rangers next year :P

I am starting to have a creeping suspicion that Gaborik is going to regret not signing a contract extension last summer. Between his injuries and the economic problems possibly lowering revenues causing a salary cap reduction, I just don't see someone laying out the kind of money he wants. Maybe someone desperate like the Kings but big market teams close to the cap just won't be able to afford the kind of money he wants especially if the cap comes down.

I know we can't afford Shanahan but you would think if he wants to play hockey and no one has signed him he would lower his asking price. I'm sure he is set financially so if that desire to play is there... He probably would only want a big market team anyway.

From Spectors:

"John Shipley reports scouts from "Boston, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, Montreal, Nashville, the New York Islanders, San Jose and Tampa Bay" attended Monday's Blackhawks-Wild game.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Now before any of you get over-ecited about this, bear in mind Montreal, San Jose, Dallas,Tampa Bay and Nashville will play the Wild over the next month, and Dallas, Boston and San Jose face the Blackhawks over the same period. And since Marian Gaborik is still sidelined with an injury and Khabibulin didn't play last night they weren't there to scout those oft-rumored players. As for the presence of scouts from Carolina, Edmonton, Florida and the Islanders, who knows why they were there? Maybe they're scouting players for a possible trade, or perhaps they were just passing through, or had other reasons. Don't read too much into heavy scouting of teams this early in the season."

Given our track record with Blackhawks trades I found this interesting.

I know we can't afford Shanahan but you would think if he wants to play hockey and no one has signed him he would lower his asking price. I'm sure he is set financially so if that desire to play is there... He probably would only want a big market team anyway.

I wouldnt want "Stonehands" on my team. Though he is a consistent scorer.

Plus, he would want a big market team with a big market contract.

Shannahan's attitude towards this organization back when he played in Hartford was aweful. Just out of intergrity the Canes can't sign him. Let him go play for the nursing home club team.

Well there could be the one or another player of interest i think...maybe Byfuglien? Or even Belanger?

hm, pure speculation...

Byfuglien is nothing more than a 3rd liner and frankly we have enough of those. We tried the Belanger experiment 2 years ago and it failed.

I think Byfuglien would be a great fit w/ the Hurricanes. He can play both the left wing and defense, he's strong, physical, and if needed he'll drop the gloves in a heartbeat. Put him on the 3rd line w/ Cullen and Walker (when he comes back).

As far as Belanger is concerned, I am aware of the history, and that he didn't fit well here the first time. We could get him to work out here, but that means giving him the 1st/2nd line center minutes. What that means is that we'd effectively have to relegate Brind'amour to the 3rd line and permanently convert Cullen to a wing or get rid of him altogether. Do we want to make such a huge change?

I think Byfuglien would be a great fit w/ the Hurricanes. He can play both the left wing and defense, he's strong, physical, and if needed he'll drop the gloves in a heartbeat. Put him on the 3rd line w/ Cullen and Walker (when he comes back).

As far as Belanger is concerned, I am aware of the history, and that he didn't fit well here the first time. We could get him to work out here, but that means giving him the 1st/2nd line center minutes. What that means is that we'd effectively have to relegate Brind'amour to the 3rd line and permanently convert Cullen to a wing or get rid of him altogether. Do we want to make such a huge change?

Apparently your not up to the history with Belanger. He was miserable and didn't want to be here. What makes you think he'll want to be here a second time. Belanger doesn't want to play in the East. He's very happy in Minny, uprooting him again to come to a place he doesn't want to be is not in the best interest of the team.

Besides, even if Belanger would be happy here, Cullen is more effective at center than he is at wing. I think last night proved that as he played his best game.

yes I know this is Eklund we are talking about but . . . .

Ok, so here is what I am hearing.

Yesterday I told you there was a trade rumour involving Toronto that would send a player from the Southeast Division to the Leafs. It appears to be a D-man from what I am getting, and I believe it to be either a Hurricane player or a Thrasher. Joni Pitkanen is a player the Leafs have been known to have interest in. Several times, dating back to his Philly days, I have heard the Leafs had interest in Joni.

That being said, I actually think that it may be another Kaberle coming to Toronto as well. I also know that the Leafs may be asked to bring on a forward (Tuomo Ruttu)

In return I am hearing the Canes like Steen and Stajan.

yes I know this is Eklund we are talking about but . . . .

:lol: A vintage Eklund trade rumor... what else can you expect from someone who makes a living making up hockey trade rumors?

Altho.. Kaberle - Stajan trade may not be that far fetched, since Stajan was in Ron Wilson's doghouse

Kaberle for Stajan or Steen is the ONLY thing in his whole ramblings that actually make sense.

JR is going to trade Pitkanen. The guy he traded fan favorite Erik Cole for. What is Ek smoking.

And Ruutu, possible but don't see it happening now especially with all our injuries to forwards.

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports Brendan Shanahan has told his agent he's decided he can no longer wait for the Rangers to make him an offer and he's decided to move on, instructing his agent to make inquiries of other teams.

Shanahan is now available as he is no longer waiting for the Rangers to make room for him. Will the Canes be interested?

after what he did to Harford in 97 I would not hold my breath. He shafted this organization

but it turned out okay because they eventually got Brindy from it B)