The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Tripp Trenchant or Tripp Tangential??

Eric has a premier mentor currently on his own team, Rod BrindAmour, should he chose to go to him. That is one area of Erics game that NEEDS to improve. Otherwise, he's really only one dimensional.

Tripp hit the nail on the head with that one. Staal is absolutely abysmal at face-offs (the weakest part of his game, in my opinion). He should be begging Brind'Amour to clue him in.

I would think a strong team captain with skills in a particular area would pull a younger upcoming star aside and work with him, offer to help, teach him....not sit around and wait for the younger player to seek the help. And perhaps Brind'amour has done so....hopefully it will pay off. Its a two-way street...both should be seeking to improve the team however possible.

I would think a strong team captain with skills in a particular area would pull a younger upcoming star aside and work with him, offer to help, teach him....not sit around and wait for the younger player to seek the help.

Ah, not so Grasshopper. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.

How many of us react well to someone telling us what to do at work? Not too well most of the time. It's the coaches job to get them togther.

I've attended a few open practices.....I've never seen the players working on face-offs. Does this occur and I'm not there to see it?

Ah, not so Grasshopper. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.

How many of us react well to someone telling us what to do at work? Not too well most of the time. It's the coaches job to get them togther.

I've attended a few open practices.....I've never seen the players working on face-offs. Does this occur and I'm not there to see it?

When we are 13 years old...what you say is true. When you are a adult professional at your job...put your ego aside and learn from those who clearly know more than you. Brind'amour is the Captain...one of the premier playes in recent years in the league...if you're on his team...and he makes a suggestion, younger players who want to excel should open their ears and be a sponge for all he has to say. Brind'amour shouldn't force it down his throat...but should be more than willing to offer suggestions and/or tips. If he isn't doing that...well, not much of a Captain in my opinion. No sense watching other members of your team flounder around without knowing how to do something when you are in a position to help. Not going to help your team by keeping your knowledge to yourself.

Tripp hit the nail on the head with that one. Staal is absolutely abysmal at face-offs (the weakest part of his game, in my opinion). He should be begging Brind'Amour to clue him in.

FYI: Brind'Amour has helped Staal with face offs at the end of practices. They go off to the side with either Sutter, Cullen or Larose and work on face offs. Its not every practice, but I've heard others mention this as well.

When we are 13 years old...what you say is true. When you are a adult professional at your job...put your ego aside and learn from those who clearly know more than you. Brind'amour is the Captain...one of the premier playes in recent years in the league...if you're on his team...and he makes a suggestion, younger players who want to excel should open their ears and be a sponge for all he has to say. Brind'amour shouldn't force it down his throat...but should be more than willing to offer suggestions and/or tips. If he isn't doing that...well, not much of a Captain in my opinion. No sense watching other members of your team flounder around without knowing how to do something when you are in a position to help. Not going to help your team by keeping your knowledge to yourself.

Big contracts help to keep egos in place

FYI: Brind'Amour has helped Staal with face offs at the end of practices. They go off to the side with either Sutter, Cullen or Larose and work on face offs.

Well, all I can say is, keep working on it because he still stinks at it. B)

And you live in MeeeBane...and your point it?

might need to edit,,,,,,"point it "or should it be "point is"?? Wendell huh?Just trying to keep you away from the blog police.

Thanks from Mebane!

My verdict: TOTALLY TRENCHANT. Hockey is about puck possession, and until Eric learns to use his body at the dot, I think we can expect to come out of the faceoffs he takes without the biscuit.

I agree Trenchant. I comment was to the point and accurate. But the qualifier is "If HE were Staal." Tripp is at the rink more than I am and practices with the team from time to time. Either way he was to the point with his belief.