The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Here's what I would do if I were the coach...

-roll 4 lines throughout the whole game-what a novel idea to actually use all players on the bench

-stick with the lines-keep them together for more than one game. absolutely no chemistry is being developed when lavi changes the lines every game-maybe try keeping them together for at least five games.

-make a strictly checking purpose line centered around brind'amour, 2 scoring lines with staal and cullen, energy line with sutter/helminen.

-come up with a better offensive strategy than the dump and endless cycle. have someone to crash the net on every line-ruutu, walker, larose, etc. tell either walker, ruutu or staal to park their big butts in front of the net on the pp and take a beating. score ugly.

-conversely-keep 3 d pairs together, if you don't trust a d-man to play more than 5 mins a night, then don't play him, and bring up someone eager to play like borer or carson. it's ludicrous have a dman only get 5 minutes.

-play the hot hand-leighton had a great game against ottawa, no reason why he should not have been playing against atlanta. ward has yet to prove he's an elite regular season goalie. he may very well end up that way, but not at the rate he's been playing since winning the cup.

-regain the player's trust-it really must be a coaching issue to come out unmotivated so many times in the past 3 seasons.

-roll 4 lines throughout the whole game-what a novel idea to actually use all players on the bench

-stick with the lines-keep them together for more than one game. absolutely no chemistry is being developed when lavi changes the lines every game-maybe try keeping them together for at least five games.

-make a strictly checking purpose line centered around brind'amour, 2 scoring lines with staal and cullen, energy line with sutter/helminen.

-come up with a better offensive strategy than the dump and endless cycle. have someone to crash the net on every line-ruutu, walker, larose, etc. tell either walker, ruutu or staal to park their big butts in front of the net on the pp and take a beating. score ugly.

-conversely-keep 3 d pairs together, if you don't trust a d-man to play more than 5 mins a night, then don't play him, and bring up someone eager to play like borer or carson. it's ludicrous have a dman only get 5 minutes.

-play the hot hand-leighton had a great game against ottawa, no reason why he should not have been playing against atlanta. ward has yet to prove he's an elite regular season goalie. he may very well end up that way, but not at the rate he's been playing since winning the cup.

-regain the player's trust-it really must be a coaching issue to come out unmotivated so many times in the past 3 seasons.

some great ideas here...good post!

I agree with every line of this, except the last one. Now remember, I agree with 6/7 things. But on the coaching:

This team is somehow above .500 despite a load of road games all crammed together and once again epic injuries. Yes, I know "injuries are no excuse". But really that is a politically correct line for the coach to say. The fact is that injuries are an excuse. By my estimation all 4 of our original centers are injured, and 2 of our top wingers. Add to that the one guy we traded Cole for and was supposed to bring it all home (Pitkanen) has been out for an extended time. That's 7 key guys down or out. That's not the coach's fault. Tripp said that the word around the league is that the Canes are one of the hardest working teams out there. And despite our moaning about effort on these boards, to be above .500 with the guys we are putting out there, and key guys not producing, and all those road games, is really kind of a coaching miracle.

I really do agree with everything else though, great points.

I feel this team needs some chemistry and some unity. I feel like there is too much individualism and inconsistency out there. And it contributes to the team's lack of identity.

I would sit down and come up with a player survey that has questions about who other players they feel like they would like to be linemates with and why; I would ask about what they feel are the team's strengths and weaknesses while being as specific as possible and what they would do to bolster them or strenghten them; and I would also ask them what would they do if they could make any changes they wanted to with nothing being restricted. I would ask all of them to be as honest as possible and I would sit down and really go over these surveys and see what my players are thinking about and what they want.

And I would figure out a way to help my team improve.

Something has to change and so far, the inconsistencies are too much. 25% of the season is almost over. I don't want to wait and see what happens. The old "wait until everyone gets healthy" argument doesn't hold any water because you need to go out there with what you have right now.

And right now, things can be better. I'm not sure how much input the players have, if any at all. This might be a way to get the players on board more and get them to work hard and fight for eachother and for 60 minutes of "we are going to tear your teeth out" hockey. They ain't got that fire right now...not even close. And I'm not sure why.

Go ahead coach, ask em. Find out what your guys are thinking. Find out who they want to play with and why. If it makes sense, stick them together and don't change it. Change the rooming arrangements. Switch practices around. Something needs to be done to get these guys charged up.

What do you think you would do???

Just wait until this team gets healthy then maybe we can talk about why this team is inconsistent. You can't win consistnetly in the Salary Cap NHL and have 6 of your starters out and expect to be a great team. We are very lucky because alot of guys have step up, allowing us to still be tied for first in our division. If anything the coaching staff has done a great job of taking a AHL roster with a few good NHL players and winning as many game as we have so far. Lets see how well other teams do when they go out on the road for a long period of time. The Canes will win tomorrow night and everybody will jump back on the bandwagon.

People on this board (and on other boards and blogs) keep bringing up these road games, and how many of them we played so far vs the home games, and how things will get better b/c there's a long home stretch coming up, etc... Is anyone aware that we are playing a lot better hockey and getting a lot better results on the road than at home? :o

Also, there's all this talk about the injuries and all the AHLers filling in while the stars and top line players are injured. Is anyone aware that so far the best players for the Hurricanes have been those AHLers (or recent ones) - Helminen, Bayda, Leighton, while the weakest performers were the stars who either appear to be playing injured (Staal, Brind'Amour) or have not completely recovered from injuries? (Kaberle, Eaves, Cullen, even Ruutu in the first few games since coming back from the injury, altho he radically improved as time went on)

I'd suggest that Laviolette, for once, take his finger off of the "line-up self-destruct" button after every loss. Far too often is a line that is productive over a stretch of games separated because of one poor performance.

Tom Rowe is that you?

John Stevens in PHI seems to have a philosophy that works - play badly, or don't give the effort your teammates deserve, and you sit. Imagine that.

ha, would be nice if maybe of more of of rowe's philosophy came through...

If I were Peter Laviolette this is what I would do...

1. Read threads like this and realize that I am a professional hockey coach and have probably forgotten more about hockey than anyone who has posted their ways to improve the team knows.

Seriously people, this is THE SAME thing he did when we won the cup. Dump and cycle. Place most the defensive load on 4 d-men. Constantly shift the lines.

Threads like this are a joke and undermind what a great coach we have in Peter Laviolette.

Seriously people, this is THE SAME thing he did when we won the cup. Dump and cycle. Place most the defensive load on 4 d-men. Constantly shift the lines.

This is also the same thing he did the last two years when we didn't make the playoffs. Just because it worked when we won the Cup does not guarantee it will always work. If you have a successful attack, other teams will learn to defend, so you have to adapt and alter your attack.

This is also the same thing he did the last two years when we didn't make the playoffs. Just because it worked when we won the Cup does not guarantee it will always work. If you have a successful attack, other teams will learn to defend, so you have to adapt and alter your attack.

I've thought this all along, so damn true it ain't even funny anymore(never was).

great points, my only issue with Cam is since he has been the "guaranteed number one" he no longer plays hungry. in '05-06 when it was him and gerbs, who ever was hot got the call. if the team played like *edit* then the goalie got pulled and they got the blame, they would man up and come back playing. we saw this some many times then and it worked. likewise if you don't want to give 100% on the ice then you get to give 100% in the press box, i think that is why babs is playing better these days, he knows he is one slack performance from the Brendl throne.

If I were Peter Laviolette this is what I would do...

1. Read threads like this and realize that I am a professional hockey coach and have probably forgotten more about hockey than anyone who has posted their ways to improve the team knows.

Threads like this are a joke and undermind what a great coach we have in Peter Laviolette.

You also have to take into account the knowledge that the rest of the coaches in the NHL possess. Laviolette's style of hockey worked the first year out of the lockout, the year that 95% of the league was not built for the "new" style of play in the NHL. Now that every other team in the NHL has had time to adjust. Laviolette is still stuck in the past with a system that worked against teams that were usually slower than the Hurricanes were in '05-'06. Only problem is that now every team is much faster and get to the loose puck much quicker than they did that season. I felt in the offseason after the Cup victory that complacency would be the achilles heel of this team and, thus far, that's been exactly the case. Laviolette thinks that a style of play that worked three years ago will still work the same way now. This team isn't fast enough to play that style of hockey on a consistent basis against the type of speed that is now employed in the NHL.

You also have to take into account the knowledge that the rest of the coaches in the NHL possess. Laviolette's style of hockey worked the first year out of the lockout, the year that 95% of the league was not built for the "new" style of play in the NHL. Now that every other team in the NHL has had time to adjust. Laviolette is still stuck in the past with a system that worked against teams that were usually slower than the Hurricanes were in '05-'06. Only problem is that now every team is much faster and get to the loose puck much quicker than they did that season. I felt in the off season after the Cup victory that complacency would be the Achilles heel of this team and, thus far, that's been exactly the case. Laviolette thinks that a style of play that worked three years ago will still work the same way now. This team isn't fast enough to play that style of hockey on a consistent basis against the type of speed that is now employed in the NHL.

that style of play WILL work but you have to play it for 60 minutes, not 20 or 55. Complacency has set in and it is Lavi's job to light a fire or else call Vegas and see what the odds makers say will be his last day.

Its very easy as a spectator to sit here and say if I was coach I would do this. Well you aren't the coach and there's a reason why you aren't a coach.

Point is, we can sit here all day and say this is what needs to be done, but no one on this board knows the answer. You aren't in that locker room on a day to day basis. You don't know what tactics will work for some players and what tactics won't work for others. You have to know the personalities of these players to get a handle on how things need to be done.

Laughlin and Potvin were talking about Hartnell being benched in the 3rd yesterday. Potvin said DeBoer did the samething with Ballard in Anaheim, but coaches have to pick their poison. He said coaches can't just bench any player. Some players will come back stronger, while other players will lose confidence in themselves. Its all about knowing the personality of your players and knowing what will work for them.

Its easy to sit back, watch, and critique, but its alot harder to actually be doing it. Let's leave it to the professionals to figure it out. I'm sure they have much more experience at this time of thing than any of us.

Its easy to sit back, watch, and critique, but its alot harder to actually be doing it. Let's leave it to the professionals to figure it out. I'm sure they have much more experience at this time of thing than any of us.

What would be the fun in that? :rolleyes:

Its very easy as a spectator to sit here and say if I was coach I would do this. Well you aren't the coach and there's a reason why you aren't a coach.

Point is, we can sit here all day and say this is what needs to be done, but no one on this board knows the answer. You aren't in that locker room on a day to day basis. You don't know what tactics will work for some players and what tactics won't work for others. You have to know the personalities of these players to get a handle on how things need to be done.

Laughlin and Potvin were talking about Hartnell being benched in the 3rd yesterday. Potvin said DeBoer did the samething with Ballard in Anaheim, but coaches have to pick their poison. He said coaches can't just bench any player. Some players will come back stronger, while other players will lose confidence in themselves. Its all about knowing the personality of your players and knowing what will work for them.

if we did that then there would be nothing to post and talk about all day on the message board!! LOL

Agreed.

But just to play along, one thing I wouldn't do is allowing myself to believe that some player survey will cure our woes and miraculously build team chemistry or identity. I'm no coach but I'm sure that the real bread and butter in this job is knowing the talent of all your guys and your ability to match them up individually and in lines against your opponents so you can gain enough of an advantage to win. Only problem is, each year team parity has become more and more obvious and none of the other coaches will ever let your guys play to their full potential. Unless we have talents that can continously dominate mano et mano, which few teams have and even fewer with a bunch of AHLers on their roster, we'll always see line combos change, dumpins, cycles and grinding in the corners - whether we lose or win.

Oh pee shaw, I've watched more games on TV and coached more fantasy games then Lavi has coached and I've won the cup in every EA NHL game to ever come out and sometimes twice on sunday! I THINK I know what I am talking about :P

Lavi obvioulsy needs to get a 20 man PS3 controller, get 5 of his friends and use the glitch goals all night long and we'd be fine.

It is obvious that the team has no chemistry. However it may be a positive sign that we can still win and be in first place with no real chemistry, so imagine now good it may be when the chemistry gets there. I've always said, its up to Staal and Ward to carry the team to consecutive winning streaks. Neither one is stepping up at all. Time to look at Leighton, and hope Ruutu, Whitney, and Brindamour can carry us offensively. Maybe Staal will break his slump, but I'm getting really sick of his long droughts, and Ward has not been consistent since the Cup run.

I said all summer long that Leighton would challenge Ward for his positon right off the bat and everyone said I was crazy and that Ward was our #1 man. I have a good feeling about Leighton and not so good feeling about Ward. I wish Ward would be our #1 star goalie, but 2 and 1/4 seasons of mediocre goaltending is getting old. The numbers Leighton put up in The AHL were ridicoulous and I have high hopes he could do the same in the NHL. Actually He is right now.

We know that obviously PL has more experience as a coach and we should leave it to the professionals (what were we going to do, storm the locker room and take over at gunpoint?) but like someone said, this is fun. And team chemistry and motivation are sorely lacking. The point is, if we were at the helm, what would we do to help establish motivation and chemistry? There are hopefully professional people on this board who have a lot of experience in human relations and I was hoping to get some of their anthropological input on what the heck can be done to improve the situation...I mean look what Lou Holtz did to motivate and inspire his teams to incredible victories...hey...that's an idea....

We know that obviously PL has more experience as a coach and we should leave it to the professionals (what were we going to do, storm the locker room and take over at gunpoint?) but like someone said, this is fun. And team chemistry and motivation are sorely lacking. The point is, if we were at the helm, what would we do to help establish motivation and chemistry? There are hopefully professional people on this board who have a lot of experience in human relations and I was hoping to get some of their anthropological input on what the heck can be done to improve the situation...I mean look what Lou Holtz did to motivate and inspire his teams to incredible victories...hey...that's an idea....

The Captain and the Alternate Captains are responsible for the chemistry. It is the Captains responsibility. The Coach cannot control the locker room chemistry. Or thats what I think but I really don't know anything according to my wife.