The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Here's what I would do if I were the coach...

Congratulations with that kind of resume you can be my assistant coach!

Hey, I'm in year 2015 in NHL 09, went 82-0, and have won the cup every year. I think we can create an absolute dynasty here, fellas!

If I were Peter Laviolette this is what I would do...

1. Read threads like this and realize that I am a professional hockey coach and have probably forgotten more about hockey than anyone who has posted their ways to improve the team knows.

Seriously people, this is THE SAME thing he did when we won the cup. Dump and cycle. Place most the defensive load on 4 d-men. Constantly shift the lines.

Threads like this are a joke and undermind what a great coach we have in Peter Laviolette.

oh yeh you would be right if we made the play off's the two years following. were the ONLY team in history of the NHL NOT to make the playoff's two years in a row since winning the cup. personally i think lav's needs to rally the guys, get them back to basics or we need to find another coach. im sorry. i like what we have as a coach, but he is the first leader of that team and if he doesnt get them motivated and in the game, then its him we need to replace. i know im gonna get blasted for this, but reality and truth hurst sometimes

If i were the coach i just might be looking for a really good realtor!!!

I would have argued that at the beginning of the season but there comes a point when you either replace all the players or replace the coach. this season is starting to have the look and feel of Maurice's last season here. if it continues then we need to start a pool for either before the new year or after the new year on when Lavi is replaced, personally I don't see Rowe as the answer. since Rowe was moved up and Daniels sent down there hasn't been anything tangible to show that as a wise decision.

oh yeh you would be right if we made the play off's the two years following. were the ONLY team in history of the NHL NOT to make the playoff's two years in a row since winning the cup. personally i think lav's needs to rally the guys, get them back to basics or we need to find another coach. im sorry. i like what we have as a coach, but he is the first leader of that team and if he doesnt get them motivated and in the game, then its him we need to replace. i know im gonna get blasted for this, but reality and truth hurst sometimes

The Truth

Somebody give this guy an award

Lavi seems to be following Tortorella's pattern with a 1 year delay (2 really, but we won't count the lockout) - he won the Cup a year after Tortorella, became the winningest american born coach a year after him, I guess the commentator job at TSN or Versus is in the cards for him next year :lol:

If I were Lavi, I'd go back to the KISS system. As I sit here looking at the photograph I have on my office wall, of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Teams celebration after beating the U.S.S.R., I can't help but think of how Herb Brooks used this to his advantage. He took a bunch of KIDS and with a simple system and a lot of HARD practices, beat the best teams in the WORLD.

I think Carolina may be letting these hockey stars get away from the hard work ethic it takes to be a winner. Look how many comments have been made about how our "Stars" are under performing while our call-ups seem to be doing all the hard work. I can't go to a practice so I don't know what Lavi is doing with the team. But if it were me, there be a lot of hard skating, working on our powerplay (1-7 last night) and emphasizing the basics of the game. I don't think it matters one bit which style of hockey you want to use, be it dump and case, cycling, or a quick transition game. What matters is HOW you commit to that style of play. If you want to cycle then be ready to skate hard and scrap in the corners. If it's dump and chase then be sure you get two men in to forecheck and prevent the outlet pass.

I've been a USA Hockey coach for a long time and whenever my team got into a funk like this, it was time to skate them and get back to basics. When a team is firing on all cylinders, practices become more spontaneous, breaking into small groups and basically playing games that simulate a real game situation. But when teams are struggling then it's time to put the skates to the ice and work them hard.

I'm not complaining, just explaining. ;)

Look, we've had 2 really bad games in a row. We have looked very bad. But it is two freaking games. I was there last night and it was pathetic, no doubt, but it is not panic time yet. The ship does need to be righted, but lets see if Laviollette can do that. If the team in deed spirals in over the next 5-10 games, then Lavi will be on a very hot seat. But we are not there yet. We have been getting by with our major talent injured. Three guys all came back in one game. No one is prime on their first game back. The next few games will be very important obviously.

The Canes will win tomorrow night and everybody will jump back on the bandwagon.

Hmm. Oh well.

It is strange that this happens almost every year to the Canes. The December Death Spiral has doomed many seasons; this year it came a little bit early. It looks exactly the same, though.. a visible lack of effort, individual frustration leading to a lack of teamwork, and poor goalies on anti-depressant medication.

I don't think Maurice or Laviolette have figured out how to reverse it, either. It just extends on until it goes away.. like a rash. If it last longer than a few weeks, consult your physician on where the best golf courses are. I wouldn't dream of trying to look at it from the coaches perspective, but I do think the fans have a valid point about where the coach is falling short.

From my view in the stands, I just hate how soft the team is. We've never had a physically punishing team, but this year there is just no one beyond Scott Walker who's going to make someone on the opposite team turn their head. And he can't do it alone. If we encourage the opposite team to take liberties with every check, how could we expect injuries not to happen? Not just the ones that take guys out of the lineup, but the ones that slow everyone down.

I can only guess that JR doesn't consider it important to play physically, and Laviolette is either quietly accepting of it, or approving of it. We don't have someone strong and mean enough to take the beatings in front of the goalie on a consistent basis. We don't have anyone who can stop guys like Brashear from doing anything they want. It's got to be terribly deflating to just soak up punishment, and not even things up.

It embarrasses me, and I don't put on the uniform.

Hmm. Oh well.

It is strange that this happens almost every year to the Canes. The December Death Spiral has doomed many seasons; this year it came a little bit early. It looks exactly the same, though.. a visible lack of effort, individual frustration leading to a lack of teamwork, and poor goalies on anti-depressant medication.

I don't think Maurice or Laviolette have figured out how to reverse it, either. It just extends on until it goes away.. like a rash. If it last longer than a few weeks, consult your physician on where the best golf courses are. I wouldn't dream of trying to look at it from the coaches perspective, but I do think the fans have a valid point about where the coach is falling short.

From my view in the stands, I just hate how soft the team is. We've never had a physically punishing team, but this year there is just no one beyond Scott Walker who's going to make someone on the opposite team turn their head. And he can't do it alone. If we encourage the opposite team to take liberties with every check, how could we expect injuries not to happen? Not just the ones that take guys out of the lineup, but the ones that slow everyone down.

I can only guess that JR doesn't consider it important to play physically, and Laviolette is either quietly accepting of it, or approving of it. We don't have someone strong and mean enough to take the beatings in front of the goalie on a consistent basis. We don't have anyone who can stop guys like Brashear from doing anything they want. It's got to be terribly deflating to just soak up punishment, and not even things up.

It embarrasses me, and I don't put on the uniform.

I agree with you here. I was a little frustrated with our team last night when Staal got slammed into the wall pretty hard after the whistle by two guys, knocked to the ground...and our team hardly reacted. Seems most other teams would be very up in arms when things like this happen, especially to the offensive star who other teams may target. Our team did pretty much...nothing. Granted, the Caps got a penalty for roughing, but when our PP stinks, what does it matter to them?

Conversely...two Caps were all up in arms on Ruutu after the whistle on one play b/c he was near their goalie...they seemed fired up, ready to defend their teammate and protect. Dont' see that from our team in any shape or form. Canes just look dead and defeated nearly the whole game.

Well said Caniac. As much as I can't stand Ovenchicken at least he hits with gusto. What ever happened to standing up for each other? I don't think we miss Coles scoring cause he didn't finish his breakaways very well and I don't think we miss his diving but we sure as #### miss his passion for the game. He finished checks, stirred the pot, and created space for his linemates. We need more of what Ruutu brings to the teams with his hits. Bayda is not afraid to play the body dispite his lack of size. The size of his heart shines through loud and clear with his play. I think Rosie needs more ice time. I don't understand why we keep Brookbank. We rarely use him in his designated role and he is not even that good at it. If this team doesn't play well after the returning players get a few games under their belts then JR needs to make a move to shake things up.

if i were lavi, i would be readying myself for another job. at the beginning of this year i was 100% behind the coach. now, after seeing the exact same team, i really do believe he has lost the team. it happened in new york, just faster. here, it's just been a horrible two years after the cup win. and now almost a quarter of the way through the season, the same old effortless canes. jr shares some of the blame as well, but he's not going anywhere. we need new blood, new ideas and a new system. lavi's just doesn't work anymore...cycle, cycle, cycle...throw it around the boards...out the puck goes. his personnel decisions this year have been atrocious. brookbank only gets 1 min of icetime? bring up some kid from albany who's hungry. lacouture at least has shown some ability to put the puck in the net and is eager. who knows if keeping brookbank in the lineup is a jr or lavi decision, but in my estimation most of the blame for our team's current malaise falls squarely on the coach. it's his job to get the players ready for games, his job to motivate. judging by the past two years and almost a quarter of this one, he's failing and a change is needed...

just my two cents...

Lavis main goal should be to do anything possible to get Staal going. Staals the type of player that feeds off himself and the team will feed off of him, be it skating hard, hitting or just having fun.

What this team needs is a dose of real toughness in our PLAY. We must be one of the lightest-hitting, fragile, scaredy-cats in the NHL right now. There are some connections. We're hurt, so we don't want to hit hard and see someone else get hurt. We GET hit, but we don't have anyone who will stand up for anyone.

We ARE missing the energy, hitting, and speed of Eric Cole right now. Ruutu's okay, but all the other hitting seems to be coming from the 4th, low-minute line if at all (Bayda?). Who cares? Other teams know they can let those River Rats run around the ice all they want (BTW - it makes them look REALLY good, and the top 3 lines look really bad, just from a pure energy standpoint), because the big money guys will be back on the ice soon, loping around and looking dazed as another silly pass misses the mark.

First, again, it has been 2 games. Not really a death spiral yet.

That said, when a major aspect of a team's play fails night after night, eventually it hits that team in the face. Last year it was a persistant lack of defense and goaltending. This year it is offensive production from our star skilled players. Ironically, on the road we were able to put our heads down and cycle and keep it simple and play sound defense and grind out an improbable record.

When at home, though, the style is more offensive less disciplined. Fine if we're wheeling and dealing and our forwards are putting the puck in the net. But that is not happening. Key guys that we are counting on for offensive production are not producing. Pehaps it is the coach, but that same coach pulled off that great start.

The utter lack of production from Samsonov and Eaves is staggering. Add to that the minus 13 for Brind'Amour and the listless play of Staal. Add to that the long term absence of Cullen and Pitkanen. I predicted as did others that we could not continue to win with very little skill coming from our skilled players. That is what came home to roost. Staal had several grade A chances to put us back in that game yesterday, and WHIFF, WHIFF, WHIFF. With Staal and Brind'Amour not right, and up to now they are NOT right, we may well be in big trouble.

Still, having 3 guys all playing their first game back after prolonged absences is not ideal. It takes a few games to get their timing back. It has been 2 bad games. I still want to see what happens in the next few games before calling it a death spiral.

The Canes look like they are waiting for someone else to do their jobs. "If I flub it, someone else will be there to pick up my slack". The power play needs to get back to a more basic, fundimental strategy. Crash the net, create traffic infront of the goalie and SHOOT THE PUCK!!!! Stop the endless cycling-trying to set up for that one perfect shot. I also believe there are a few Canes that feel that they are untouchable due to their big salaries. How do you motivate someone who is paid too much to be sent down, but has grown complacent? Watching the Caps game, the Canes looked like they were on a completely different skill level, as if the University of Minnesota hockey team was playing the NC State hockey team. I think Lavi has done everything he could do with the team, it might be time for some new blood. (Isn't Ted Nolan available?) It's almost deja-vu all over again. It's like reading the posts from Paul Maurice's final days......

As far as coaching, the real question is the system: what type of system is Lavi using, or does he even have one at all? And if he DOES have one why is it not working?

If I were coach, that would be the first thing to sort out - come up w/ a system, try to get everyone on board and then address what works and what doesn't. I don't believe a lack of talent is the problem here: some players aren't being used properly (Brind'Amour being a prime example) and the overall lack of effort needs to be addressed as well.

I think once everyone knows their role and how to play it we would see an improvement, but what do I know? I wouldn't want to be in Lavi's shoes right now regardless...

I think once everyone knows their role and how to play it we would see an improvement, but what do I know? I wouldn't want to be in Lavi's shoes right now regardless...

I think some fire needs to be lit under them. Bring up some AHL guys like we did last year and scrimmage against them one day. Whomever scores...plays. And those who are NHL'ers have to pay their salary while here.

Won't work but just a thought!

I think some fire needs to be lit under them. Bring up some AHL guys like we did last year and scrimmage against them one day. Whomever scores...plays!

if only it was that easy. there are roster limit (you can only have 23 players on the active roster), cap issues, waivers, etc. and probably a ton of legal issues (plus when AHL players are called up they are payed a minimum of the league minimum as opposed to what they normally make ($450k vs $50k)).

Personally, I don't like the dump and chase.

Yes, it works if you can chase and get possession back. I don't think we're physical enough for this style. Lets try some posession play.

If it doesn't work, you can always go back...

EITHER STAAL AND WARD WOULD PERFORM OR THEY WOULD HAVE A FEW GAMES IN ALBANY TO GET BACK UP TP SNUFF,,COULD REPLACE WITH ANYONE ,,COULD NOT DO ANY WORSE THAN THOSE TWO ARE AT PRESENT,,THE ONLY THING THEY ARE DOING IS GETTING A BIG FAT PAY CHECK JUST FOR SHOWING UP,,POOR CHOICE OF WORDS,,,

EITHER STAAL AND WARD WOULD PERFORM OR THEY WOULD HAVE A FEW GAMES IN ALBANY TO GET BACK UP TP SNUFF,,COULD REPLACE WITH ANYONE ,,COULD NOT DO ANY WORSE THAN THOSE TWO ARE AT PRESENT,,THE ONLY THING THEY ARE DOING IS GETTING A BIG FAT PAY CHECK JUST FOR SHOWING UP,,POOR CHOICE OF WORDS,,,

Well obviously you don't know how the contract system works but lets say that were possible. Out of the whole team, you want to send our All Star MVP and Con Smythe winner to the minors over everyone else?

How bout we send Stormy down to the minors too and bring up the River Rat mascot?

Oh wait I know....CUZ THAT'S RIDICULOUS!