The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
joekayak

Ward and Leighton.

I knew the blog police would get you!! ;)

39 minutes...not bad for the posting police around here. The spelling police would have had it much sooner :lol:

You mean Grahame challenging Trevor Kidd

for who could flop the most or miss his angle on shots:P

Flopping is held, will always be held and will continue to be held by Jamie "WTH are you doing" Storr

George Bush, "Mission Accomplished" :P

After Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto who had been educated in the USA, when hearing that the carriers had not been in harbor, said "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in him a terrible resolve."

It feels like Michael Leighton has awakened the sleeping giant and instilled Cam Ward with a terrible resolve. Cam has stopped 99 of the last 104 SOG for a .952 stop percentage. Maybe that Pittsburgh game will be Cam's Pearl Harbor. The next game on the Island sure felt like a mix of desperation and terrible resolve (57 out of 60!!). Kind of like Midway. Both USA and Cam took some lumps but came out on top.

Whlle WWII was unhealthy to say the least, perhaps this rivalry could pay big dividends. We'll get more info this after this weekend's back-to-back where Cam figures to play against Edmonton and Michael against Toronto.

Wednesday's starter should be Leighton, but it most likely will be Ward.

When exactly is it safe to say that Ward wasn't ready to be a #1 goaltender in '06-'07 and may still not be ready to be a #1 goaltender in '08-'09? How many poor performances and years out of the playoffs will it take for the fans and the front office to realize that Ward may be the biggest weakness on this team? I've felt the past three years that this team needed to acquire a solid experienced goaltender either through free agency or a trade and make Ward either the #1B or #2 goaltender on the roster.

I have to agree with JustJoe. Leighton has been hot recently. You shouldnt go with who was "slated to be your number 1 goalie", you should go with who can most likely get you the win and recently its looked more like Leighton. While Ward cannot possibly be pinned just himself for the games we've lost, I think its time to give Leighton a few games in a row, send a message to Ward as well as seeing how Leighton does with multiple NHL starts. Cam Ward's inconsistency angers me so much. He's an elite NHL goaltender one day, and a couple games of the season back up the next.

EDIT:

Looks like i got my wish, Lavi is gonna use Leighton in goal on Wednesday against the Capitals

Wednesday's starter should be Leighton, but it most likely will be Ward.

it will be Leighton; Branecky posted new blog entry and quoted PL that Leighton will be starting tomorrow.

I'll be interested to see how he performs as we have Ward's performance from last week to use for comparison.

I think he will do just fine.. that being said.. Washington is a tough team, so I wouldnt expect a 6-0 shutout (as if we could score 6 right now anyway :blink: ) If he makes some good saves and keeps the game close (even if perhaps we lose 3-2 or 4-3) I will be happy with his performance. Of course I'd love for him to get another win. 5-1-0 as a back up would be pretty darn sweet.

What I like about Leighton is nothing seems to phase him at all.. he has no nerves at all (or nerves of titanium) and just has this Ho Hum, Grab the lunchpail, another day at work kinda attitude to him, maybe that comes from being the backup, maybe that comes from being an AHL goalie of the year where you could stop anything, and then moving up but in his mind he still thinks he's unstoppable.. confidence and attitude mean so much to atheletes.. he may just be in a better frame of mind then Cam.

Cam has struggled in the past (part of the arguement of those of us *myself included* kinda bashing him somewhat) but he will shake it off.... I think a few games off will do Cam good and if Leighton wins a few even better cause then Cam doesnt get burdened with "Oh man.. now I gotta win 4 in a row to get those points back"....

I will be cheering loud behind his goal... hopefully I can help him get pumped up (as if he's gonna notice one guy but hey, do my part to make the whole crowd louder)

Can we play with 1 less forward and use both goalies at the same time? At least this way they can help each other cuz they sure aren't getting any help from the rest of the team!!

*Sarcasm Alert*

Gosh.... After the game yesterday, I half expected everyone to be on the boards blaming the score on everyone but Leighton since most of posts seem to want to lay all blame on Cam when he is in net and allow Leighton to get by unscathed. Sorry, but based on what has been said in the message boards, we still need to find a #1 goalie. Neither guy seems to fit the bill for the Caniac nation. Take these last two games as a lesson - no one is perfect. Ward and Leighton are going to mess up at some point. I just wish they didn't have to choose two home games in a row to stink it up between the pipes.

Personally, I like both goalies and think they are a good tandem for us. I am going to look past these last two games (well, try to anyway) and expect better play from the team as a whole. Neither goalie is to blame for all five goals each allowed, but they can be blamed for a couple. Each goalie also made some spectacular saves, but there is definite room for improvement. I guess we all have to wait and see what happens Friday in Atlanta.

no one should blame either cam nor mike for any of this.(although cam did let that softie in against moreau when edmonton was in town) but i personally think that they are being left out to dry. IMO....the sad thing is you should probably thank them for getting wins when we shouldnt have.

That game last night at least 3 of those goals were all Leighton...I mean committing like that to Ovechkin?

That post makes it sound like Donald Brasheer made that move.

We are talking about the guy who won the Hart last year, you know.

3 goals on Leighton, eh?

Lets see. You can't be talking about the 2 on 1 with the defending MVP and the current scoring leader can you as one of them? Wait, you just did.

That post makes it sound like Donald Brasheer made that move.

We are talking about the guy who won the Hart last year, you know.

3 goals on Leighton, eh?

Lets see. You can't be talking about the 2 on 1 with the defending MVP and the current scoring leader can you as one of them? Wait, you just did.

Yea I guess I did. We knew we were screwed when Semin and Ovie came in on that 2on1, but come on Leighton challenge em a little more than sliding to one side.

Both our goalies will star to look better if our offense gets going. There is too much pressure for a goalie to be perfect when the guys in front of him score 1 or 2 goals. These guys are looking like the pre lockout Canes. Mabye that is Paul Maurice wearing a Lavi mask behind the bench.

Holy Cow, can you believe we actually won a shootout? I'm sure alot of you felt the same as i did when it went to the shootout,,( oh no looks like we will not get that second point,,<<<and thats the "G" rated version ) but i have to give Kudos when they are deserved and Cam earned them in that shootout!! Hopefully Cam can step up his complete game now as well and prove he should be the #1 goalie!!